could this be IBS ?? or is it likely to be wheat allergy ??

Options
hi all . i am a good n proper fan of all things bread , .. but since watchin what i eat ( jan ) have practically cut it out completley , but when i do occasionally indulge , i have noticed my stomach is very tender , in fact at the last occasion that i ate bread (over the weekend) i was in such agony i could babrely stand up straight , and the only thing that helped was a hot water bottle on my belly ... was fine by the next morn .. any ideas ?? ( this wasnt just a general "eaten too much " kind of bloated it was seriously painful , like something was twisted inside .. am baffled

Replies

• Drea1713
    Options
    If you had IBS you would also experience diarrhea,, gas, and painful cramming when eating a lot of normals foods. Any fruits or veggies with seeds could have the potential to upset your stomach. Now if you had a wheat allergy you would experience a lot of the same symptoms but would see rashes on your body or bloody stools. I know its gross but that is the only way to describe it. They only true way to know for sure is to see a DR. I suggest you see one ASAP, it could always be a more serious issue.
  • mmelaniewalters
    Options
    ok , none of those symptoms thankfully . just real pain when eaten bread or lots of carbs , . .. hmm .. will see what happens over next few days
  • mmelaniewalters
    Options
    oh and thanks ... !!
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i suffer similar symptoms after eating anything wheaty or carby..stomach cramps, the runs (sorry!) bloated feeling and just the feeling of being unable to move without being in pain.. the doc says its an intolerance to wheat and possibly yeast and just to avoid that kinda stuff..but i haven't gotten round to being tested yet as in the past few weeks I've avoided the trigger foods so haven't had any issues but I think I am going to get tested one day so I know for sure

my mother in law to be has coeliac disease and she has very similar symptoms although hers can be kicked off by the smallest traces of anything wheaty whereas I'm not quite so sensitive..

go to the doctors - even if they say just to avoid things for a while to see if that has any effect, but at least it will give you peace of mind :)
  • mmelaniewalters
    Options
    thanks for that ! thought i was imagining things . its nice to know someone else has same symptoms .. ( tho not nice for u obviously) much appreciated the sharing, my cousin has a little girl who is a coeliac , so i was aware .. think for me its a sensitivity rather than an intolerancxe . and am avoiding bread for the mo