Bread - to eat or not to eat...........

Options
Bread - god or bad?? Just wondered what everyone thinks about eating bread. When I have done 'diets' in the past I have steered clear of bread, but now I am concentrating on calories I have been eating more bread. I will see what happens on Wednesday when I weigh in but I am nervous. Any comments? Tips? Advice? Thanks everyone. x

:ohwell:

Replies

• Tiffanyfitin2011
    Options
    bread is good, better to choose whole wheat or whole grain and try to limit to 2 slices a day.
  • ashers1819
    Options
    I eat it but only wholemeal toast (the small loaf).

If I need something to fill out my meal I eat ricecakes.

I haven't cut anything out because I think that it is unsustainable in the long run. I'd rather steadily lose weight through everyday eating than 'dieting' only to put it all back on plus more

Good luck.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my carbs, bread included, early in the day and to a minimum. I've sworn off white bread (along with potatoes & white rice) but do eat a 15 grain small slice bread fairly often along with things like oatmeal and brown rice, in moderation. The combination of limited carbs, limiting to complex carbs and timing of the day just seems to work for me for some reason. And I don't feel totally deprived.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Breads great! My fave is healthy life's 35 cal low sodium, low carb, fat free :)
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Love bread of all types, but for everyday use I use Sara Lee 45 calorie bread, it's pretty good stuff.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I love bread, especially the dense breads like 12 grain. I can't see how a slice here and there is going to hurt you.
  • amydray
    Options
    I find that toasting my bread if I'm going to eat it is helpful. I've also been looking into more gluten-free breads that you can find in your health food store. For the most part, I tend to just shy away from it.
  • beautymkt
    Options
    bread is high in carbs as long as you keep your carb count under where MFP allows you Also, eat good carbs (whole grain, fiber, wheat) white is higher in calories. Good luck!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    during my weight loss phase I don't touch the stuff. I will be able to introduce whole grains when I reach goal. I have not missed it either, which is really strange, but so happy because I have done so many other diets where I could live off bread all day long but I always failed at those diets. Its a tough choice you have to make. Watch the carbs. You don't want it to cause your blood sugar to rise and then crash which will make you hungry again and crave more junk, just like all the other diets out that I have tried.
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I eat it but only wholemeal toast (the small loaf).

If I need something to fill out my meal I eat ricecakes.

I haven't cut anything out because I think that it is unsustainable in the long run. I'd rather steadily lose weight through everyday eating than 'dieting' only to put it all back on plus more

Good luck.
    Thanks for your help. Are some rice cakes high in calories too?
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I eat only Ezekiel bread. It has 15 carbs per slice, but it has the same amount of protein as an egg and lots of fiber. It is made from sprouted grains, so it doesn't contain flour. It is found in the freezer section. One piece is more filling than 2 pieces of bread made with flour. I watch my carbs and calories. Well...it doesn't look like that today! I had leftover spaghetti for breakfast. Last night was the 1st time in two months since I had pasta! I was really craving pasta....I watched my serving size though.
  • DeannaOnline
    DeannaOnline Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bread is ok - flour is what's bad for you. You can find flourless breads - and super healthy breads are out there - but here, check out these top two "bread myths" from Web MD - they explain very well how misleading packaging on bread is! Many breads that say multi-grain or wheat bread --- really just white bread with a little bit of healthy stuff thrown in! :-)

Bread Myth No. 1: If it looks brown and has the word "wheat" in the name, it has lots of fiber and whole grain.

The Truth: The first ingredient listed on the ingredient label tells the story. If it's "wheat flour" or "enriched bleached flour" (or similar), that tells you white flour was mostly used, not "whole-wheat flour."

Bread Myth No. 2: Breads with healthy sounding names like "seven-grain" or "100% natural" are the best choices.

The Truth: Just because the name of the bread on the package sounds super-healthy, it doesn’t mean the bread actually is. Oroweat’s seven-grain and 12-grain breads, for example, list "unbleached enriched flour" as their first ingredient. Nature’s Pride 100% Natural Honey Wheat bread, likewise, is mainly made with "wheat flour," not whole wheat.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Your best choices are unrefined, whole-grain breads that have at least 3 grams of fiber per slice. Avoid products with a lot of sugar. Read labels carefully, many have added sweeteners such as fruit juice, barley malt, honey, or molasses.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Bread in general is not the enemy! It's the WRONG KINDS of breads that are. Breads are carbs and we need carbohydrates for energy. Our body's main source of energy comes from CARBS! Opt for the right kinds of bread... whole grains!!! I love Orowheat 12 grain bread AND Royal Hearth 12 Grain. They are so yummy. You can really tell the difference between these breads than a slice of white. They are heavier and will keep you fuller longer. Unlike white or enriched bread, whole grain breads will not send you on an insulin roller coaster which is a cause of most over eating!

Hope this helps... now go... have a peice of bread!
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks ahcoble - is that bread available in the U.K?
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I strongly believe that for most people (not all) low-carb dieting will lead to rebound weight gain when the carbs are re-introduced. Yes the diets work, but they aren't a lasting solution. So unless you want to give up bread forever, find a bread that is whole grain and high fiber, and stay within the carb totals MFP allows you.

There are body builders who eat fewer than 50 gms of carbs a day, every day. They will stay lean, but at a possible cost to their kidneys and cardio-vascular health. Carbs, including grains, are a necessary part of the human diet. Learn moderation instead of avoidance.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    Sorry, double post.
  • bodzio4062
    Options
    I try to avoid breads and other starches in my diet all together. Granted, I have not tried to study what is available and safe.

My carbs and fibers come from anything but...potatoes, rice and bread. This makes me eat salads, and fruits. I also have a daily dose of fiber supplements.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I only eat light bread with 35 to 45 calories per slice.

I personally like schwebel's lite wheat bread with 70 calories for 2 slices, 6 grams of fiber, and no high fructose corn syrup.
  • Burls1
    Options
    If you can get it, Trader Joe's Sprouted Wheat Bread is a great substitute. It is 60 Calories per slice, and only 7g of Carbs. Plus, you can't tell a difference between that, and most regular whole wheat or whole grain breads. It has 5g of Protein, which beats most breads. I'd try it if you are stuck on wanting to keep bread in your diet, but don't know which one to go with.