Hummus

Options
I have heard a lot of people talk about it. But I must admit I'm a little afraid to try it. What does it take like? I looked up what it is made out of but, I can't really imagine what it would taste like. Can any describe the taste and texture? It is in the same category as tofu? I just really don't want to go out and buy some and I end up not liking it. =/

Replies

• Franticantics
    Options
    ewww nothing like tofu!!!
    It's yum, why not start out with a caramalised onion, or morroccon style first?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    think very very very very mild peanut butter. That's the only thing I can think of that might be even somewhat close.

Of course, I like the flavored kinds (garlic, red pepper, etcetera) which taste nothing like peanut butter
  • Ddzim
    Ddzim Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too was once afraid of hummus! LOL. Some of them, I do not like and then there are some that are GREAT! My favorite is black bean hummus and I also like roasted red pepper. I typically spread some on celery or a carrot and it is pretty filling. Costco has a pretty good Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. But you kinda have to try a few of them out and see which ones you like. Good luck to you!
  • jenhudgins
    Options
    It tastes like delicious goodness in jar form! :P Just kidding. It's really good, it does have a mild beany after-taste, but not like, in a bad way. It's good on everything!
  • natsab76
    Options
    Hello, it's main ingredient in chickpeas, so it's similar to a bean mash if you've ever had that? I love the stuff, eat it all the time. Enjoy!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Trader Joes near you? My most favoritist hummus is their Mediterranian Hummus. Its the creamiest and smoothest. YUM
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind you buy. I like a brand called Cedars. Garlicky, kinda dense....but you can buy different varieties. Your best bet is to go to a greek place and order an appetizer hummus....
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The first hummus I ever tried, unbeknownst to me, was garlic flavored. I did not like it and stayed away from trying hummus again for some time. Last year, on a whim I picked up some roasted red pepper hummus and have been a fan ever since!
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    Tribe Roasted Red Pepper is great. I also prefer roasted garlic.
  • syl312
    syl312 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love HUMMUS!! nothing to be afraid about! it's really good with whole wheat pita!..
    for u to start I would do one that has something else in it.. not plain hummus.. Try the Garlic one or cilantro hummus from Fresh & Easy!! .. let us know if u liked it! :smile:
  • gittebri
    Options
    Hummus tastes a lot like a healthy dip! Especially if you get the kind with tahini (Sabra hummus is very smooth because of the extra tahini.) They have a taste for everyone! If you like spicy, I strongly suggest the Supremely Spicy Sabra Hummus!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I have a great Mediterranean market around the corner from my house that makes there own. Beats any of the mass produced stuff hands down. There are variations from brand to brand, so you may need to try a couple before you find one that you like.

Basiclaly all it is is garbonzo beans, most likely some tahini (sesame seed "butter" for lack of a better term) and lemon.
  • gagagul
    gagagul Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It is kind of like a spread texture i generally like to eat it with on a piece of bread before or after a big workout! Good protein. If you have a mediterranean restauarant near you I say start there with a piece of shish kebab so you get the real flavor of the hummus and how you should really eat it! Hope that helps! It's one of my favorite things to eat alone or accompanied with a snack!
  • Inkedsquid
    Options
    Roasted red pepper hummus with wheat thins. Yummmmm :)
  • jojojor
    Options
    Yummy !! A must have in the fridge !
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Hummus is one of my all time faves I do prefer to make my own so that I can control the salt and the ingredients. I usually do a red bell pepper and roasted garlic blend.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    If you do any shopping at Target, they carry Archer Farms Hummus Trio. That might be a good option for you as it has three different kinds of hummus-plain, roasted red pepper and garlic.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hummus is one of my all time faves I do prefer to make my own so that I can control the salt and the ingredients. I usually do a red bell pepper and roasted garlic blend.

You chould post the recipes! :bigsmile:
  • 04warrior
    Options
    the testure of hummus is like liverwurst (Okay, I may be dating myself) - just treat it like a dip with your favorite wheat cracker, crisp bread, pita, whatever. So far, I have not met a hummus I didn't like - one of my favorites is jalapeno and cilantro hummus available at publix - smooth and creamy happiness with a kick!

Hope you enjoy your first hummus experience as much as I did mine! Good luck...
  • bitabee
    bitabee Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    hummus is yummus!
    Think of a creamy veggie dip texture...

I really, really love it...
    Try Sabra brand or Tribe, and go for the full garlic flavor...amazing!!
    So low-cal and super delicious and filling!!