Should my Net Calories be my goal for the day

Options
I am a little confused about something. If my goals a day are 1200 calories, and I burn 300, my food goals show up as 1500, but my net calories are lower.

Should my NET total be my daily goal?

Replies

• LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    if your goal was 1200, and you had logged 300 calories, your "remaining" would be 900. If you then log 200 calories of exercise, your new "remaining" would be 1100 and your goal would be 1400. The "remaining" and "goal" are always bumped to account for exercise calories...

(Edited to fix explanation...)
  • Inpjs66
    Inpjs66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1250 and exercise was 321. That totals 1571 for my daily goal

So far I have eaten 1479 which leaves me with 92 calories left.

My net shows (1158)?
  • Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. It depends on what works for you. For me when I was eating my exercise cals I wasn't making any or much progress. BUT on those days I would be hungrier than others because of the exercise. Listen to your body. If you feel like you need it then make you have those exercise cals to work with but if you don't then don't eat it.

Good luck.
  • rebecca_goss0
    Options
    I agree with Jessica. Do what your body needs not your mind! Easy to say but hard to do! Good luck!
  • Inpjs66
    Inpjs66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My question here is should I be eating at least 1200 NET?
  • lraymond558
    Options
    you will still lose the amount of weight you wanted in time if you eat the extra calories. if you want to burn calories faster, however, dont eat the extra calories. you wont gain anything if you do though, based on the food aspect of it all.
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    Yeah most people who don't lose weight when they eat their exercise calories is because they don't accurately measure/weigh their food or overestimate their activity level when calculating daily calorie usage.

I'd say put Light and don't put anything but gym time or running in. Leave out the working around the house/ stairs / all that. And for real, get a food scale. Costs like $10 and I bet you're eating 30% more than what you think....
  • erin_kercheval
    erin_kercheval Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was also confused on this when I first began using the site. You will get used to seeing how it works...

When you set up your account, there is a section where you state your goal weight loss per week. They recommend that you aim to lose one pound per week. Basically, the site adjust your calorie allowance for when you workout by adding those burned calories to your allowable caloric intake, constantly keeping your allowable calories at the amount you would need to lose ONLY one pound per week.

It is up to you whether you want to consume those extra calories or not... I find some days when I work out a lot (or just some days in general) I am so hungry and have to consume those extra calories. Other days I am not so hungry, so I count those as extra calories to get me quicker to my goal... or more often I will "bank" them toward a night when I plan to go out for dinner or have some drinks!
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My question here is should I be eating at least 1200 NET?

Yes.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    ...but if you're not hungry, don't force yourself.
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1250 and exercise was 321. That totals 1571 for my daily goal

So far I have eaten 1479 which leaves me with 92 calories left.

My net shows (1158)?

Hmm... I noticed that 1250-1158 = 92.

This is a "math" question, not a "should I eat my exercise calories back" question, right?

so, are you seeing this?

Totals ................... 1479
    Your Daily Goal ... 1571
    Remaining ........... 92

* You've earned 321 extra calories from exercise today.

Right?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should be eating enough calories so your net shows 1200.