Didn't know how easy it was...

Options
Not to belittle anyone else's struggle with managing their weight, but I'm shocked at how easy this is coming for me...

It started out 6 weeks ago when I left home, dropped by the gas station with the Dunkin' Donuts and picked up a sausage biscuit with cheese and a donut for breakfast and a couple of bottles of Lipton Sweet Tea that get me through the day. When I got into work, my cubical-mate told me that work was having a weight loss challenge for the next two months. I popped on down to the gym and did my first weight in at 252.5 -- I usually bounce between 250 and 256, but haven't really been much under for as long as I can remember.

So, I get back to my office and that's when my friend tells me about the MyFitnessPal app for Android and the website. Being a tech guy, I figure it'll be a fun little incentive and a good way to track what I eat. So, I create an account and put in my previously mentioned breakfast and 1 tea that I had consumed that morning...

860 calories.

SERIOUSLY. I had just consumed more than HALF of what I should have eaten the entire day. It truly opened my eyes to why I was the size I am. Starting that moment, I changed my diet. The first two weeks I tried to keep around 1200 calories and, in that period of time, I lost 7 lbs. Bear in mind that I'm a software engineer and I live a fairly sedentary lifestyle. 7 pounds by portion control and greatly reducing the amount of sugary drinks.

Between 1/24 and 2/28, I've lost 16 1/2 pounds -- on 2/23 I *just* started again to exercise and plan on 3-5 days a week running 2-3 miles and working on strength and core. A couple of keys that I feel were large contributing factors that I'd like to share:

1) Portion control is probably THE more important factor. I didn't change WHAT I ate -- hell, I still enjoy pizza, burgers and cookies, but I just counted the calories.

2) After about an hour of consuming nothing, your body's metabolism essentially shuts down. Keep drinking water and having small snacks throughout the day so your body is constantly working. I'll munch on a few whole wheat goldfish crackers every 10 or 20 minutes minutes or so and casually refill my water bottle throughout the day.

3) Because I bring most of my lunches in these days, I'm eating significantly less bread, which I'm sure has been another factor. As 'ghetto' as it may sound, I'll bring 1/4 pound (6-7 slices) of turkey in and just roll it up an eat it. If I'm out and I get a burger, I'll remove the bun or only eat one of the halves.

Now that I'm working out, I'm *really* looking forward to getting under that 200 mark again. I'll have to go out and get a new wardrobe, but it'll be worth it to make sure I'm around to see my 4 and 7-year old daughters walk down the aisle.

Replies

• cjfoster
    Options
    keep up the good work
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    eat small meals often throughout the day is key
    gotta keep that blood sugar level all day long, and of course you don't want to consume too many carbs at any meal, or else your blood sugar will spike and crash, causing you to be hungry again and crave more junk---which is why all the diets I have tried in my past have never worked.
  • Cherrycandy
    Options
    Good job!!! I really thought it wsa gonna be hard for me as well, but it hasnt, not since I started on here. It's kinda shocked me!!!
  • CoastieGMWife
    Options
    Thats awesome that changing your lifestyle is coming so easy for you. Keep it up and I look forward to seeing you reach your goal. :)
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I agree, man. I've been finding that, for the most part, it's really not that tough. I've been cheating quite a bit on the weekends and trying to keep it pretty strict during the week, and so far that's been working for me. And I'm still eating pizza, tacos, etc as well...just in very limited quantities.
  • cheangela
    Options
    Something to make that turkey a little less ghetto... make lettuce wraps :-D. It adds a little fun crunch to it!

Keep up the good work!
  • ExpectingToFly
    Options
    I'm more or less the same - although I don't seem to be finding it *quite* as easy as you are.

But I was the same with only just realising how many calories I was putting in my body! I was shocked the first day I used MFP.
  • lisamsyang
    lisamsyang Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and for the motivation. It helps to fuel the rest of us to keep moving on this path.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Great success story! Keep up the hard work!
  • goohan
    goohan Posts: 155
    Options
    well done :)
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    I totally agree with you to some extent realizing how many calories are in things really was an eye opener for me and I too still eat most of what I used to but instead of what used to be probably 3 servings I now only have one. I like to eat something every 2 hours for sure then I really don't feel at all deprived. The part I don't really agree on is how easy it is to do. If it comes in a package and tells me this is a serving and how many calories then I get it but I have gone to a chinese buffet and pizza ranch (buffet) since I started and have no idea how to keep track of calories but I try to make good choices and control my portion size and so far so good. Today was weigh in and am down 15 lbs from Jan 3, 2011:) Sounds like you are doing great keep up the awesome work:)
  • wiltbank
    Options
    Something to make that turkey a little less ghetto... make lettuce wraps :-D. It adds a little fun crunch to it!

Honestly,

I have vegetables -- it's a food aversion thing. I'm in my late30's and every time I put lettuce or onion or most types of green veg into my mouth, I have a bad reflex. I'd love nothing more than to sit down to a huge salad and munch, but that's another challenge to overcome down the road.

Right now, I'm also dealing with the wife -- she's overweight as well and slowly working towards loss, but she's not to the level at which I've committed myself. As I get closer to actually weighing less than she does, I can see it affect her more... what I really need to do is motivate her which will be good for the both of us.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Yes the principles are quite simple. All we have to do is stay disciplined and follow them. None of this has to be extreme. It's a way of living life, and after a short amount of time, it becomes quite natural.
  • wiltbank
    Options
    I'm more or less the same - although I don't seem to be finding it *quite* as easy as you are.

I'm a bit concerned to be honest -- I lost 8.5 pounds in 9 days.

I have minor health issues, so maybe it's a bit of hypochondria, but I'm hoping that, at the same time I decided to loose weight, I'm having an issue that's causing me to loose weight.

Would that be cheating? ;p

Keep the faith, though! For some reason, guys have the potential to shed the pounds faster than women... Keep it going!
  • wiltbank
    Options
    I like to eat something every 2 hours for sure then I really don't feel at all deprived.

That's another thing -- after a week of cutting back, my stomach shrank. It takes a lot less to fill me than it ever did.
    I have gone to a chinese buffet and pizza ranch (buffet) since I started and have no idea how to keep track of calories but I try to make good choices and control my portion size and so far so good.

Definitely understandable. Since I started 5 weeks ago, I've gone out to dinner maybe once or twice? Out to lunch maybe 3 or 4 times? When it used to be every other night for dinner and every day for lunch So, in addition to knowing exactly what I'm putting in my mouth, I can also see savings in the bank account by bringing food from home.

Bear in mind (and I do this to), if you have a smart phone, almost every food chain has their nutritional information published SOMEWHERE on the Internet. :wink:

Here's one for Pizza Ranch I found: http://calorielab.com/restaurants/the-pizza-ranch/307

When I'm there or when I get home, I'll look it up and plop it into MyFitnessPal.
    Today was weigh in and am down 15 lbs from Jan 3, 2011:) Sounds like you are doing great keep up the awesome work:)

Simply outstanding. 7-8 pounds a month is a very health amount to be loosing -- keep up the excellent work and be vigilant about the numbers! :)
  • ddelapas
    ddelapas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading your post. I've been using the MyFitnessPal app for iPhone and it has made all the difference in the world. I never knew "how" to loose weight. I didn't want to diet. This is so much better. I've learned so much about portion control. I measure everything. Having this tool and a process has made all the difference for me! Keep up the good work and keep working on your wife to use MyFItnessPal too. My two daughters are doing it with me. We love it.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

I'm a bit concerned to be honest -- I lost 8.5 pounds in 9 days.

I have minor health issues, so maybe it's a bit of hypochondria, but I'm hoping that, at the same time I decided to loose weight, I'm having an issue that's causing me to loose weight.

Would that be cheating? ;p

Keep the faith, though! For some reason, guys have the potential to shed the pounds faster than women... Keep it going!

guys have more or bigger? muscle which burns fat faster.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i also was shocked at how many calories i was eating. i love sausage biscuits with cheese and a coke but man the calories.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Well done.:)

My story was kind of similar. I was at work (fast food), and I'd taken advantage of the free employee meal. Found the app, played around, and went "holy ****, I just ate over a thousand calories, no wonder my weight's going up".
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Another good thing about the turkey--SaraLee now has Low Sodium varieties of their packaged turkey and ham. Some of those meats can be so high in sodium. Great job on the weight loss! That is great that is has come so easily for you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!