Carbs?

Options
Can eating carbs still promote weight loss?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Carbs are an ESSENTIAL macronutrient - you need them to function properly. It's recommended that you get 45-60% of your calories from carbohydrates. Some people go a little lower, but it's generally suggested not to eat less than 130g/day for proper brain functioning.

Focus on getting carbs from vegetables, fruit, whole-grains (barley, oats, brown rice), potatoes/sweet potatoes, quinoa, etc. The less processed, the better!
  • teracallaway1
    teracallaway1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    yes. you ned carbs for energy. i just try to stay off carbs at dinner.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'm diabetic and I need carbs. I continually lose weight. I actually have to slow it down by eating more. Carbs are fuel for long cardio exercises.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    Of course! The one thing I cant stand in the weight loss circles is the whole no carbs fad. We need carbs to maintain our energy throughout the day. Its not the carbs, its the calories that cause weight gain. Sure on a low carb diet you will lose weight, but this is very unhealthy, can cause many other health issues worse than if you were overweight. You lose weight on low carb diet because instead of your body using carbs for energy since it doesnt have any, it uses fat stores. So you lose fat, but you also lose muscle too, which is not good. It can harm your kidneys, cause ketoacidosis and diabetic issues. And a high protien diet is horrible for us! Listen, I am a vegetarian, I get at least 60g of protien a day and 250-300g of carbs. When I was going through my cutting phase I just lowered my cals and upped my workout intensity and I lost fat and maintained my muscles. Healthy carbs, like whole grains, beans, whole grain brown rice, fresh veg etc are healthy for us and necessary to overall good health. Just stay away from the white, enriched bleached carbs.
  • xbabeykayx
    Options
    Ooo thankyou.. i just get caught up in the whole low carb or no carb diets. Im currently doing slimming world, so i guess i will be on my journey to losing the unwanted weight. wahooo! :)
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Yes, in fact they are essential for brain function.

That being said, try to eat complex carbs rather than white simple carbs :smile:

Low carb diets work by losing water. You'll find after the intial water loss, it comes down to calorie restriction and 1-2lbs a week loss. :flowerforyou:
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Of course! The one thing I cant stand in the weight loss circles is the whole no carbs fad. We need carbs to maintain our energy throughout the day. Its not the carbs, its the calories that cause weight gain. Sure on a low carb diet you will lose weight, but this is very unhealthy, can cause many other health issues worse than if you were overweight. You lose weight on low carb diet because instead of your body using carbs for energy since it doesnt have any, it uses fat stores. So you lose fat, but you also lose muscle too, which is not good. It can harm your kidneys, cause ketoacidosis and diabetic issues. And a high protien diet is horrible for us! Listen, I am a vegetarian, I get at least 60g of protien a day and 250-300g of carbs. When I was going through my cutting phase I just lowered my cals and upped my workout intensity and I lost fat and maintained my muscles. Healthy carbs, like whole grains, beans, whole grain brown rice, fresh veg etc are healthy for us and necessary to overall good health. Just stay away from the white, enriched bleached carbs.

You're exactly right. I lost 80 pounds on a low carb diet, coupled with cardio only, no strength training at all. I'm paying for it now. I'm in my 4th round of P90X and still am amazed at my lack of strength. I lost so much muscle it's unreal.