Sodium/Water Weight gain??!

Options
So Saturday I ate pizza for the first time in over a month, but I accounted it into my calories. Yesterday I ate breadsticks, and they were not accounted into my calories. Now, today it says that I gained 2 freaking pounds. The breadsticks were 100 cals each and I ate for or 5 which would have made 500 at the most.

Do you think that since I haven't eaten such salty foods in so long (3 weeks I've eaten perfectly) that I'm just retaining a bunch of water?

My friend and I are doing a challenge of not weighing ourselves until the 12th. I'm hoping that if I don't eat anything else salty that I'll see the scale go down, because this is really frustrating and I feel like giving up and saying screw it.

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    its definitely water weight. I went out for dinner last night and I'm up 3 lbs just because of sodium.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Yep. A big sodium spike will make you retain water. A 32 oz nalgene bottle of water is 2 pounds.
  • Thenewscott
    Options
    Probably..sodium affects me drasticly as well.....If i go over 1500 to many days in a row.....i will not drop weight
  • desperatetoloose
    Options
    I am the same way, went out for dinner Friday & gained 2 pounds !

It goes away after a few days
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    There are so many factors that affect weight that you can't weigh daily or even rely on it. Plus unless you went over your calories by 7000 since the last time you weighed then that isn't the problem. Right now I work at a boot camp. They don't weight you there to see results they measure you. Most people in the fitness industry don't rely on weight, because there is so much that can go into your weight. Do you have the same amount of clothes on, do you pee before or after, was it the same time of day, did you have a bowel movement. Don't obsess on the scale. I am not saying weight is bad. It is a good indicator, but also go by how your clothing is fitting.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    So you went over about 500 calories one day? Then it is not fat gain.

1 pound is = to about 3500 calories. That means to gain 2 pounds of actual fat, you would have to go over your calories burned by 7000 calories. That can be pretty easy to do over the course of a month or so, but would require some serious eating to do it in just a couple of days.
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing Saturday and gained two pounds. I also drank a ton of water this weekend on top of the salt. Back to behaving!
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing Saturday and gained two pounds. I also drank a ton of water this weekend on top of the salt. Back to behaving!

I am not understanding how drinking a lot of water is a bad thing? Water is one thing you should be drinking a lot of and it will help if you have eaten a lot of sodium
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

I am not understanding how drinking a lot of water is a bad thing? Water is one thing you should be drinking a lot of and it will help if you have eaten a lot of sodium

Oops, clicked it too early.

Anyway, drinking water IS a good thing. You should actually drink MORE when you have a lot sodium.
  • sleight119
    Options
    No dont give up like everyone has aid its the salt
  • edryer123
    Options

Oops, clicked it too early.

Anyway, drinking water IS a good thing. You should actually drink MORE when you have a lot sodium.

I know... but i drank a ridiculous amount compared to my sodium numbers. I easily drank 15 full glasses sunday alone. I had bad bad munchies and drank water instead of munching.
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Same thing for me, I spiked over 4 pounds, then realized I had Asian dumplings swimming in soy sauce then the next night Mexican food with salted tortilla chips and other high sodium foods. I'm hoping it flushes out my system soon. You can change your settings to track sodium.
  • edryer123
    Options
    I love mexican but I have been avoiding it for that very reason! Chips and salsa are my weakness.... too much sodium though.
  • dcjulian
    dcjulian Posts: 33
    Options
    How long does it take to flush sodium out of your body? Or another way to put it is if I go over on sodium and gain weight how long will it take to see the scales go back down?
  • maeflower1234
    maeflower1234 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The last time this happened to me it took 3 days of lower sodium and lots of water. The scale went down after that. Sodium sucks.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Two pounds from one meal at the Chinese Buffet. :drinker:
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The last time this happened to me it took 3 days of lower sodium and lots of water. The scale went down after that. Sodium sucks.

I had pizza Friday and I'm assuming my water/sodium just now went down (Monday). Because my calories were not over and my weight is right back on track.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I must pass on all this advice to my parents. They weigh in every day (almost competitively), beat themselves up after a few pounds gained after a nice meal out, then congratulate themselves for 'losing weight' again a few days later. They won't believe it could be food still in there, so maybe the salt argument would convince them!