Runners? Questions About Heavy Legs.

Options
This may seem an odd thing to ask, but it's something my husband and I both have noticed and I thought I'd get the opinions of experienced runners.

This is our 5th week in C25K. (We repeated Week 3 due to me having terrible shin splints.) We've noticed that every few runs or so, our legs feel like lead and it feels like we are just treading water as we jog, like running through syrup. It seems we're barely moving! Today, for example -- even though we weren't out of breath, our legs just felt like dead weight.

I'm not sure what could be causing this. It doesn't seem we're doing anything very different before these runs. The only time we noticed a correlation between this feeling and anything beforehand was a day we had a late, heavy lunch that hadn't fully digested before we ran. The only other thing I can think of is the weather -- I'm in the South, and the humidity can get really high some days, like today.

Any ideas? It isn't going to stop us running, obviously, but it is kind of uncomfortable and really slows us down. If it's something we're doing that we can change, I'd love to know!

Replies

• GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Have you begun stagering your carb intake? Moderate carb days with high carb days to restore muscle glycogen? Odds are those heavy legs are indicative of lower glycogen stores and a need for probably more water and carbs :o)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I seem to only have experienced "heavy legs" after running the day after a very hard run...it is lactic acid build up in your legs that hasn't been broken down yet. Did you do an intense work out yesterday? I suggest drinking lots of water and perhaps having a recovery drink after your runs will help. I drink optimum nutrition whey protein after work outs.

Good luck!
  • Vtrembacki
    Vtrembacki Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this will really help, but make sure you stretch out your legs before so they are not tight and also make sure you are hydrated. One thing that can help with heavy legs, mentally, is to not think of it as taking steps, but think of keeping your arms moving. If your arms are moving, your legs will have to follow!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Even slight dehydration can produce this 'leaden legs' feeling.

So can an improper warmup and cooldown.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    How long are you out there? Do you eat or drink anything before? Or during?
    I know that when I get heavy legs it is because I either need to eat some carbs or drink something (when I get a side stich its the same thing too).

I run long distances and I feel like I spend half of my run either eating or drinking...
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I find that if I do very early morning runs without drinking enough water first that I get this sensation. Not sure if this is your reason or not, but I would suggest good hydration the night before and the AM before the run. If this is it, you should see an immediate improvement.

Good Luck!!!

--Carter
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Have you begun stagering your carb intake? Moderate carb days with high carb days to restore muscle glycogen? Odds are those heavy legs are indicative of lower glycogen stores and a need for probably more water and carbs :o)

Completely agree. Take a look @ what you eat not just the day of, but also the day before your runs for the reasons listed above!! Even if you think you are drinking enough water, add in some extra and see if that helps.
  • ceciliam23
    ceciliam23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me. I felt like I was moving moving through quicksand. I consulted a holistic doc and she told me to eat protein in the a.m. and to make sure I was getting enough potassium. Now, I eat omega 3 eggs in the morning and a few hours before exercising, I eat sweet potatoes and/or bananas.
  • imagineaballoon
    Options
    Ahhh you guys are the BEST! This helps soooo much. :D

We have a really good warm-up and cool down in place, and we're only out there for just over half an hour, tops. Our program this past week had us running 16 minutes and walking 19 (plus 5 minute warm-up walk.) Based on the information, I'm getting from your posts, I think the likeliest culprit is dehydration + carbs. I don't normally like to drink a lot before running because I HATE feeling like I have to pee all the time when I'm on the track, but I hate this heavy leg sensation even more!

If I'm staggering carb days, should I go heavy on them the day I run or the day before? Right now we run three times a week.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Ahhh you guys are the BEST! This helps soooo much. :D

We have a really good warm-up and cool down in place, and we're only out there for just over half an hour, tops. Our program this past week had us running 16 minutes and walking 19 (plus 5 minute warm-up walk.) Based on the information, I'm getting from your posts, I think the likeliest culprit is dehydration + carbs. I don't normally like to drink a lot before running because I HATE feeling like I have to pee all the time when I'm on the track, but I hate this heavy leg sensation even more!

If I'm staggering carb days, should I go heavy on them the day I run or the day before? Right now we run three times a week.

I can't speak for everyone but for me it's the day before.
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I just finished the C25K and now im on week 2 of the Bridge to 10k. I have found the sports recovery drinks are so beneficial. To begin with i thought it was just a placebo effect but I can really feel the difference in my legs when i drink one after a session, the next run is fine and my legs don't feel heavy. I have the For Goodness shakes protein drink. It might just be dehydration of course but I would try it and see if things improve. Enjoy C25K though it's such a great program.
  • mountainrun26
    mountainrun26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are recovering from your previous runs. Too much running if you do not have a good base will cause exactly that feeling and it's a trap many runners fall into. Get some rest and and don't try to run too fast all the time.