Strength training

Options
I am currently training for a marathon. I run 3 days a week and have cross train or rest days the other 4 days a week. I am trying to tone and firm the muscles in my arms (specifically my "bat wings aka triceps) and legs (well the ones buried underneath all this fatty tissue, lol). I have 5 lb hand weights. I do not have a gym membership so I need suggestions of DVDs I can watch at home. Does anyone have any? Thanks!

Sorry to the 2nd person who posted. I should have said I can not do the Shred video as it hurts my knees. I already own it. I am looking for something that doesn't involve any jumping or cardio. I am looking for strictly strength training.

Replies

• CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    :happy: I have the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. I got it at Walmart for $9. It does total body.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've taken 1:30 MPM off my 10K time since I started P90X. I wish I would have known about it before I did my marathon training. I had muscle imbalances which led to knee pain about 5 weeks before my marathon, it was a difficult road. Since doing P90X I have no knee pain at all, plus with my speed increase I'm totally excited. They are at home DVD's which you can do in addition to running. I'm not a "coach" for beachbody.com but definitely think P90X should be in every runner's training.

Another option which I did prior to my marathon training, then didn't cross train and put miles in of running - a kettlebell. I really enjoyed kettelbell DVD's - I started with 10 minute solutions, not the best for form - and ended with Amy Bento. I also have a book of BodySculpting for Woman by Lorna Kleidman. She's supposed to have a DVD out soon, I'm waiting impatiently.
  • lucielu2
    lucielu2 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    try Chalean Extreme -its awesome
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I used to do just the strength training parts of the Shred when it was bothering my legs. The moves are easy enough to do from memory without the DVD.
  • reginarb
    Options
    I have a Winsor Pilates video that I ordered online years ago. All you need is a mat. No yogo, but it is slow and controlled. Great for body scultping.
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper Pure Burn Super Strength :flowerforyou:
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Great idea tabby!! Maybe I'll watch all 3 levels and just do the strength train from each one!! Genious!!
    I used to do just the strength training parts of the Shred when it was bothering my legs. The moves are easy enough to do from memory without the DVD.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'll check this one out! Thanks!
    Bob Harper Pure Burn Super Strength :flowerforyou: