Quick exercises with results

Options
I have read may different articles about 5 minute workouts, or just 10 minutes a day can change your body in weeks. Has anyone used or have proven exercises that can be done in a short amount of time. Like everyone else time during my day is far and few between. Any suggestions would be great.Thanks!

Replies

• KaleighL
    KaleighL Posts: 159
    Options
    Bump
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    What results are you looking for? Calorie burn? Cardiovascular health? Muscle-growth? HIIT (High intensity interval training) Exercises are quick and burn a lot of calories and can help build strength (depending on what you're doing), but for cardiovascular endurance you've gotta put in the time doing longer sessions of cardio activity.
  • Dee1006
    Options
    kettlebell workout. 15 min few days a week . Definitley have seen results
  • kellykat2
    kellykat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    No I haven't ever done the 10 min workouts. I am curious to know if they work too. I have read that you can break up your work outs into 10 minute increments through out the day. So I'm sure if you do enough of the 10 min work outs in a day to burn calories, it will work.

I am doing 10 lb slimdown on Exercise tv. I just started last week. It is about 20 min circuit training. I do that in the morning,and another 35-40 cardio after, then a 30 min walk in the evening. On the slimdown off days, I do at least an hour of cardio. I have to do my exercises at 5:00 or 5:30 am or else I barely have time when I get home from work. I do most before work, and if I can get the extra walk in the evening it is a bonus! I have no excuses for not doing a workout in the morning. I just make sure I get up at 5 or before.
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Agreed! Kettlebell is the way to go if you want a hard workout with fast results. 30 minutes can burn 600 calories or more, and the intensity is high. I'd DEFINITELY find a certified trainer to start with though.
  • 3Heather24
    Options
    Bump

WTH is "Bump"????????
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BigBootyMimi
    BigBootyMimi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump

WTH is "Bump"????????
    "Bumping" a post puts it in your posts so you can find it easier.
  • dream_litotes
    Options
    Since I started on MFP (around January 11) I have been doing a short workout every night before I go to bed. I started out really short and simple so that I wouldn't have any excuses (literally did about five minutes to start with!) and now I'm up to 15-20 minutes. And I would say it does work! I do stretches, squats (10 as of right now), pushups (also 10), crunches (15) and situps (15), and I can definitely tell a difference - my butt is smaller, both in general and especially when I tense it; the flab on my arms shifts when I tense them and I can FEEL hard muscle in there; and I can feel my abs even if I can't really see them yet. So I'd definitely say that 15 minutes is better than no minutes!

(I also love it that it gives me a nicely fitted-in time to do some meditation exercises: after the crunches and before the situps I spend a couple of minutes either just breathing or going through one of my relaxation "stories". It's great!)

Edit to add that I don't count calories for this workout! I'm not super precise about the number of calories I burn and consume anyway, so I see this simply as a little bit of toning.
  • sccd911
    sccd911 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. It's nice to know you aren't the only person trying to make your health better. Good luck to all!
  • dragonfly777
    Options
    A number of years ago I did a 15 minute workout for toning every day Monday to Friday. On Mon, Wed and Fri I would focus on abdominal muscles and upper arm. On Tue and Thurs I would focus on buttocks and leg exercises. I made it a point to wake up 15 minutes earlier than usual so I would do them before I did anything else in the morning. The actual exercises were for 10 minutes and this was followed by stretching the muscles that I targeted which felt especially good in the morning.

Of course, in the evening I also walked about 5 km 3-6 times a week and I made a change to my eating habits. Instead of buying my lunch I made a salad that I brought to work. I did not use any salad dressing only lemon juice squeezed from a lemon.

The change was gradual but at that time I only had 20 lbs to lose to reach my target weight. After about 5-6 months I lost only about 12 pounds but while weight wise it wasn't a significant amount, I found my pant size dropped from a size 10 to a size 6 - that is where I noticed the difference the most. Unfortunately, I had some stresses over the last year and I got out of the habit of my 15 minute morning exercise and walking regularly and with Christmas food, I gained back 8 pounds. That is why I joined myfitnesspal. I want to lose the 8 pounds and the additional 5-10 I didn't lose before. And I have started to get back into the habit of exercising 15 mins in the morning. I've been at it for only a week now but I'm feeling great already.

Even if the 10-15 minutes doesn't do much now to help you lose weight, I believe, being in the habit of doing only that little will help maintain your ideal weight and tone once you reach it. And if done in the morning, it will set you up for an energetic day!