Binge

Options
Hi!

I have been doing great about working out daily for atleast an hour a day, and my food choices are great; but when I am home at the end of the day, I find myself binge eating and it's really bothering me.

Any ideas on how to deter this?

Thanks!

Replies

• mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Stay busy, have a home work out system that you can turn to.. Read a book, work on the laptop.. Just stay busy....
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I find I do this too. one of my goals is to stop eating after 8pm, thats what really gets me is eating late and eating a lot of calories. Honestly for me, its a fact of willpower, and not denying myself ALL day. I allow a little treat here or there, and try to keep them in the first half of the day. One thing that helps is making a mug of hot tea or hot water and lemon as soon as I get home, and then flossing and brushing my teeth. Usually i dont want to go through the trouble of brushing again after that, so it helps me stay away from late night snacking.
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i eat several times a day about 200-300 cals at each point every 2-3 hours. Coming home was always tough for me but by eating something around 200 cals, higher in protein, seemed to help me
  • awlaw529
    Options
    I have tried that but it always ends the same...I am eating things I have avoided all day. It's like I am losing control.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep. Food diary resets at midnight!
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Take a hot bath; cup of hot tea; take up a hobby (crafts, solitaire, scrabble, jigsaw puzzle); go for a leisure walk around the block....basically like comments before me - stay busy!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I am so glad I'm not the only one! I just keep eating! I used to be able to go to the gym after work, but now I have to come home to take care of our dogs since my husband works too far away. No matter what my good intentions are...they never pan out. UGH! I just keep trying every day.
  • mjcrothers
    mjcrothers Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Something that can help me is to get on to MFP and read the forums. Update your food diary and work out how many calories you have left for the day and work out what you are allowed to have. Then weigh/measure it and put it on a plate and see if you can keep yourself at just that amount. This way you aren't saying no to your self, you're just saying how much. If you are actually hungry, the little bit of chocolate might be better used as a piece of bread. You might find yourself choosing to make the better choice.

I prefer to allow myself a little bit of a treat, I tend to binge less.
  • nph1960
    nph1960 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    For me, I need to get past the cravings for sugar and carbs. So I have to white-knuckle it for three days, eating only healthy stuff. By day four, I actually don't miss the cookies, etc. Also, make sure you eat enough so you're not actually hungry. Just eat good, healthy, foods - not stuff that is loaded with hidden sugar, salt, hydorgenated oils (all the tasty stuff) - or you'll have to go back through detox!

I also rely on herbal tea for a relaxing break. And I brush my teeth and rinse with some nice minty mouthwash to help resist the urge to snack.

If all else fails, get out of the house and/or call a friend! Good luck!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    It would help if your diary was open so constructive criticism could be given properly.

Without seeing it, my best guess is that you are eating too little, and therefore you body is sending you the "I am starving" signals in the evening and forcing you to feed it.

Most new people here try to set their calories too low and end up starving themselves till they figure it out.
    Let me guess, you're trying to do 1200?
    That number is way way too low for most people. I am 5'2" and weigh 105 and I eat 1700 a day.

Set your goals to active, and 1/2 a lb a week and see how much it says to eat. You don't have a lot to lose. 2 lbs or even 1 lb a week is too much of a goal. Slow and steady wins the race.