I Cant Stop My Self From ....

Options
EATING!
Im home alone these days and yeah i exercise, but i keep eating unnecessary things, such as Sorbet, Granola bars, And other Really REALLY bad foods that i wont mention, and i was wondering what kinds of techniques you people use to stop your self from eating that kind of stuff when you are alone?
Thanks(:

Replies

• kilojoule
    kilojoule Posts: 74
    Options
    if im trying to slow down my eating i will force myself to drink 32oz of water for every 250-300 calories... slows me right down or stops me completely. And then i head to the little boys room :-)
  • amberblesedell
    amberblesedell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If it's after dinner I'll brush my teeth to remind myself not to eat. Or I chew a lot of sugar free gum. Also, drinking water constantly helps. Eating ice cubes works too!
  • JoinerMaus
    Options
    I crochet, or scrapbook, or get on the computer. I do anything I can to keep my fingers busy so they are not putting food in my mouth! I also try to keep the fluids going so I don't feel like I'm being deprived.
  • shan2bthin
    shan2bthin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It's ok to eat alone as long as you are making healthy choices. Pudding, 60 calories, with sugar-free cool whip or a chocolate vita muffin with 1 Tbs. lite cherry pie filling and a dollop of sugar-free cool whip.

If you don't want to eat, try painting your nails or get on here and occupy yourself with reading the site.

Best in health!
  • rascal21
    rascal21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes work great... you have to eat them slowly, and you can only eat so many at a time. Also, they are sweet, so they cover a couple of bases. :)
  • krr246
    krr246 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    who do you bye these things for? if its you by some fruit or healthier snacks instead. if its for your kids or someone else try buying them snacks that r less appealing to you..keep trying..it ain't always easy but hang in there.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'd say to get it out of the house...if it's there, you'll eat it. anyone would...it's our nature. I just know that when I put a bite of something unhealthy in my mouth, I feel guilty, because then I feel like I'm wasting all the work I've put into my weight loss. It's easier said that done, but you can do this!!!
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel and I recently just started chewing gum just to prevent myself from eating. I pick one that is cinnamon or VERY minty to distract myself. I don't chew it for long just every time I have an urge I shove a piece in my mouth. It seems to be working and this is coming from a girl who sat here and ate 16 cookies in one sitting just because then ate more later that day!
  • usmcpatience
    Options
    First of all, everytime I think I'm hungry I force myself to drink an 8oz glass of water...If I'm still hungry after that...I let myself have the snack, but more often than not...The water is enough for me.

Secondly, I try and keep my hands busy as often as possible. I do lots of crafty things (crochet, punch needle, scrapbook), I am a writer, and I love to read. It's pretty hard to snack and crochet at the same time!

It took me a while to get the hang of this, but eventually you'll find something that works for you!

Good luck!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes work great... you have to eat them slowly, and you can only eat so many at a time. Also, they are sweet, so they cover a couple of bases. :)

That's pretty genius!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I don't buy those types of foods. Then I can't eat them when I'm alone. lol.
  • rascal21
    rascal21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

That's pretty genius!

Thanks! They are really tasty. Been eating them that way for a while, plus, they keep a lot longer. Just wash them and put them in baggies in the freezer. Quick and easy snack.

I do try to dry them a bit before they go in, otherwise you have a mass of grapes frozen together. :)
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    First of all, everytime I think I'm hungry I force myself to drink an 8oz glass of water...If I'm still hungry after that...I let myself have the snack, but more often than not...The water is enough for me.

Secondly, I try and keep my hands busy as often as possible. I do lots of crafty things (crochet, punch needle, scrapbook), I am a writer, and I love to read. It's pretty hard to snack and crochet at the same time!

It took me a while to get the hang of this, but eventually you'll find something that works for you!

Good luck!

for some reason it just clicked for me this past week that sometimes when i feel hungry im actually thirsty! i sometimes keep myself too busy and forget to drink enough water, but once i drink some usually the hunger pangs/cravings go away. you really do have to make yourself put it down at first tho, but after a while its easy peasy :)
  • 33nessy
    33nessy Posts: 104
    Options
    exercise or drink water.....if i have a serious craving i try and jog on my treadmill and let some indorphins go and then i feel better or drink drink drink...if i still have a craving i will eat it and chuck the rest out if i know i cant control myself...in saying that i have gorged too