Do fruits and vegetables count?

Options
Is it really important that I log in every fruit and vegetable that I eat? Fruits and veggies are so healthy for you and I'm wondering if its neccesary that I keep up with documenting my intake of them.

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    The short answer..................YES.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I say yes because fruits have lots of calories (more than veggies) and it's all about calories in calories out. And some veggies (like potatoes) can eat up your calories so you need to watch out.
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i dont log veggies but do log fruits because they are higher in calories. veggies (most) are low enough in calories that just chewing them -raw ones anyway- can burn off the calories you are taking in... exceptions are starchy veggies- potatoes, corn, peas. tomatoes and onions are higher in cals as well.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I log everything.. even spices! But as everyone mentioned, fruits and vegetables do contain calories and all depending on serving size will impact your calories for the day.

A banana for instance is around 100 calories.. So you can't just eat all the bananas you want without worrying about calories.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    yessssssssssssss :glasses:
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I don't log vegetables because they are really low cal. I don't eat fruits much if at all (I take a multivit though)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes. Even though they are healthy, they still have calories. People also often eat something along with veggies (be it dressing, oil, dip, etc.) and that can add up very quickly.

Even if you don't feel that the calories are significant enough to bother logging, it helps to know everything you are eating so that you can track that against how you feel, when you're hungry, if you're losing, how your workouts are going, etc. So it's good information to have when you need to assess what is and isn't working in your program. Also helps in building the grocery list.
  • newuser111
    Options
    I would log it as long as it contains calories, especially fruits. I never knew that apples and oranges are 80 calories each before MFP. :frown:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I log everything.. even spices! But as everyone mentioned, fruits and vegetables do contain calories and all depending on serving size will impact your calories for the day.

A banana for instance is around 100 calories.. So you can't just eat all the bananas you want without worrying about calories.

Where are you finding the nutritional info on spices? I was trying to log a recipe yesterday and gave up on the spices because I couldn't find them in the database-nor did I know where to look for info that wasn't in the database.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I log fruits & veg because I like to make sure I'm doing good with my micronutrients on a daily basis (and the iPhone app allows tracking of everything MFP includes in the database).
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Yes everything counts. Also, there is this nifty little thing in the top right hand side of the forum that says "search" You will be able to find a lot of these questions already answered there. I recommend doing a search before making a new thread.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, and they all count!
  • chubmuffim
    Options
    Veggies are superstars on the good diary! Let em shine!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I log everything. The short reason is I like to see my nutrient levels. That is one thing I liked about my previous tracking site that I could see ALL the ones I wanted not just 5 others.
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    123456654321: Way to be friendly. There is a way of getting your point across without being rude.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Yes!! For example, corn is high in calories, carrots are high in sugar - etc! You've gotta watch out for this. Even if it's "healthy", if you eat more than you expend.... you won't lose weight!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Also, there is this nifty little thing in the top right hand side of the forum that says "search" You will be able to find a lot of these questions already answered there. I recommend doing a search before making a new thread.

Woahhh... lol. Take some time to cool off, perhaps! You're a bit snippy & there's no need for this!
  • Rozzie75
    Rozzie75 Posts: 20
    Options
    I agree you must log everything this way you know where you stand calorie and nutrient wise. I agree with mKeller and believetoachieve.