exercise calories

Options
I'm new to MFP and I'm still trying to figure out the calorie counting. Please help! So my daily caloric goal is 1200. Let's say I have consumed 1225 calories and burned 242 calories through exercise (for a net of 983) and 217 calories remaining. Is it important that I consume the 217 calories that are remaining in order to get enough calories in for healthy metabolism? Or is the only important thing that I at least consume 1200 calories (which I have already done)?

I assume that even when I work out, I should still eat at least 1200 calories, correct?? Should I eat more than 1200 calories when I work out?

Replies

• MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    Some people don't eat there exercise calories, some do. If you log the exercise it will automatically add it to your daily total. If you exercise allot you can eat half or all of them. I don't eat mine but Also don't workout for an hour or more. So I guess the best answer is that it's up to you, but remember its going to be automatically added if you log the exercise
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Perfect opportunity for "The URL."

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It has just been explained to me that you should eat them. There is some very good info in the "stickies" at the top of the list of each area of the discussion board. For example in the general questions there are links to explain this very question.. You may find a lot of useful info there.

Good luck!
  • lreiland
    lreiland Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have entered my exercise calories for the day and the above numbers are what I see right now when I look at my profile. Just trying to figure out if I need to eat more or not? I am feeling a bit hungry...
  • bordersvm
    bordersvm Posts: 70
    Options
    Also remember that you don't want to put your body in starvation mode. Keep that in mind along with the amount of calories you burn. If you get a BIG calorie burn in, I suggest you eat (Good Healthy Choices of course). Keep an eye out for your net calories. I hope this helps some. Good luck on your weightloss journey! :wink:
  • Dr11ba85
    Dr11ba85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So this may not be a straight answer. But based on everything I read they say in order to keep the weight off not to loose more then 1.5-2 pounds a week. That being said, I also read that for every 3500 calories in a week you cut (whether from exercise or diet) will result in 1 pound lost. So if you cut 800 a day down to 1200 via diet, then you should exercise away only a net of 1400 a week. That's about 350 per session based on 4 work outs a week. So anything about the 7000 calories cut for the week should be added to your diet to eat in order to stick to the 2 pounds lost in a week. Hopefully that made sense?
  • dr1981
    dr1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Perfect opportunity for "The URL."

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

LMAO