p90x and counting calories?

Options
Has anyone tired to just continue to count calories and not follow the p90x nutrition guide? Cost of all the food and is an issue...do you think if I just eat what i want and stick to the calorie counting, while adding the recovery drink etc...ill be ok? opinions and input???? thanks!

Replies

• femouse
    femouse Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do p90x and just add that as my excercise on this website, I don't do their nutrtion guide. So far it seems to be working.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'm currently experimenting following my own diet on Insanity. I've done P90X before, but at the time I was obese and still ate whatever the hell I wanted.

And yes, P90X is possible to do when you're obese. Lol. I attributed it to having large muscle mass underneath large fat mass.
  • Sandrea03
    Sandrea03 Posts: 13
    Options
    I am on my second round of p90x and do not follow their nutrition guide. I just count my calories, stay between 1200-1300 per day, and do the workouts. I have had great success doing it this way!
  • emembee
    emembee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How have you been inputting your p90x workouts? When I add strength training workouts, myfitnesspal returns with '0 calories burned' but I know that I am DEFINITELY burning calories doing the workouts! Any advice? Thanks :smile:
  • purplemarcian
    Options
    I do the p90x workouts(cardio workouts only) and count calories without following their diet plan. It's working for me! Just make sure you are getting enough protein.
  • Itrdc5rsx
    Options
    Awesome thanks for the response's, has any included the protein bars or shakes into their diet while doing it? If so what kind of result do it get in overall feeling, like not being tired etc.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I input them as "calisthenics," but that depends on which routine you're doing that day. Plyo, I think, definitely counts as calisthenics. Then I assess the level of performance based on personal performance. If I was able to do every routine throughout the duration of the time, with minimal to no short breathers, then I log it as "vigorous." If I had to modify a lot of routines, I'd log it as "moderate." Then, if I had to tap out on more than a couple of them, possibly with multiple rest periods while they kept going, I'd log it as "light." That's just a personal guesstimate for me.

For strength training, you could add "lifting weights" to cardio. The calorie burn may be low, but it's for muscle toning and strengthening anyway, so it sounds appropriate.