i cant figure out if im full, or hungry...

Options
anyone else ever have these moments?
i had a decent breakfast, no lunch (wasnt home) small snack, and now its nearly 9:30 and we just finished dinner (totally not a normal thing for us to eat this late. but today was a mess) i cant decide if im hull or hungry. i know that doesnt make since. but in a way, i feel full, but in a way i feel hungry.

maybe im just not used to eating normal portions and actually feeling full. (before MFP i would STUFF myself to the point of being miserable)....
im going to drink a lot of water and then decide from there what my tummy is trying to tell me. but i hate this feeling!

Replies

• rocklobster914
    Options
    Sometimes that happens to me too...I will eat a decent breakfast and dinner, have a small lunch, but feel hungry at the end of the day. What I have heard is that if you give it about 7 minutes before eating anything, and you are not hungry after those 7 minutes, it was just a craving. If not, you are really hungry. I don't know if its true, but it might be worth a shot. Sometimes it helps me figure out if I really am hungry or not.
  • ashleyk_xox
    ashleyk_xox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That happend to me the other day. I felt like I had just eaten a LOT like I was bloated from food but my stomach was growling. I just waited for it to go away and then yes-i was hungry lol
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    If you aren't sure, you're not hungry. Hunger is unmistakable. However, hunger is a feeling that lots of folks need to relearn because we've become so used to overeating!

If I just had a meal and I 'think' I'm still hungry, I give it a good 20 minutes. I go do something to distract myself. If I feel hungry at the end of that, then I'll probably eat something-small.
  • magenta4c
    magenta4c Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i read a book about eating disorders and diets,... the psychologist/therapist gave little tasks for the reader...
    like: "eat a bite, feel the texture, is it sweet, sour, salty... ?"
    then "swallow it... how does it feel on its way down?"
    do the same with a second one... and so on...

the next task was to add some food on a plate, have a few bites and see how it feels in your stomach.. are you still hungry?
    if yes, eat a little bit more... check again... until you feel just not hungry anymore. then wait... don't eat until "full", just "not hungry".
    if you then find out after a while you are still hungry have another bit. and so on.

idea is to eat very conscious and to really focus on the food and its volume, texture and taste and your bodies response to it. also to take ownership of your body. unfortunately this book was in german so i won't be able to give you a title.
    i'm sure there are similar books out there.

hope this helps