Grape Fruit?

Options
Hey,
does anyone know if grapefruit actually speeds up your metabolism or is that all hype?

Replies

• FruitLoop05317
    Options
    any type of citrus in a generous amount will speed it up. for instace one diet i did a few years back, i ate an orange with every meal and i lost 12 lbs my first week doing that. i liked it a lot!!
  • wellyourenotSKINNY
    Options
    Oh wow, that doesn't sound too bad. Did you wait between eating the orange and then eating your meal?
  • mrsannett
    mrsannett Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Wow really/?? I need to try that..I love oranges!
    any type of citrus in a generous amount will speed it up. for instace one diet i did a few years back, i ate an orange with every meal and i lost 12 lbs my first week doing that. i liked it a lot!!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    grapefruit juice is one of the odd ones it has some interesting effects on the body and many drugs, caffeine for instance will have longer lasting effects when paired with grapefruit juice.
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think the whole grapefruit thing is kind of hype, but they are certainly delicious and healthy :flowerforyou:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,190 Member
    Options
    I think the whole grapefruit thing is kind of hype, but they are certainly delicious and healthy :flowerforyou:

Maybe the weight loss thing, but not the medication thing. I am on Lipitor (hoping to come off soon) and I cannot drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit (or certain other citrus fruits for that matter) as it will mess up the absorption of the medication making it much more potent to the point of being dangerous.
  • wellyourenotSKINNY
    Options
    grapefruit juice is one of the odd ones it has some interesting effects on the body and many drugs, caffeine for instance will have longer lasting effects when paired with grapefruit juice.

Seriously? So if I have tea and a juicy grapefruit for breakfast, it'll speed me up for the day?
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

Maybe the weight loss thing, but not the medication thing. I am on Lipitor (hoping to come off soon) and I cannot drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit (or certain other citrus fruits for that matter) as it will mess up the absorption of the medication making it much more potent to the point of being dangerous.

Yes, my mother is on some medications that are contraindicated for grapefruit. Either blood pressure or diabetes meds, not sure which.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,190 Member
    Options

Yes, my mother is on some medications that are contraindicated for grapefruit. Either blood pressure or diabetes meds, not sure which.

Probably blood pressure. I am not a pharmacist, but I have not heard of diabetes meds that react with grapefruit. There are several blood pressure meds that do as do some of cholesterol meds although apparently not crestor. If I can't get off the cholesterol meds, I will want to be switched to that as I miss grapefruits.
  • goldenbutterfly
    Options

and its not good if your on the contraceptive pill eaither as it interferes with it
    but yummy i love it for breakfast

Probably blood pressure. I am not a pharmacist, but I have not heard of diabetes meds that react with grapefruit. There are several blood pressure meds that do as do some of cholesterol meds although apparently not crestor. If I can't get off the cholesterol meds, I will want to be switched to that as I miss grapefruits.
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    The only reliable way to improve your metabolism is through developing muscle. If you replace part of your meals with something citrusy like Grapefruit, it does have energizing and mood enhancing properties... but it hasn't been proven to do much more than any other unprocessed nutritionally dense vegetable. Don't be fooled into thinking juice will do the same, the sugar generally negates any kind of awesomenous that fruit may have.
  • goldenbutterfly
    Options
    grape fruit can make the contraceptive pill less effective, but i love having grapefruit for breakfast yumm