Mid night snacking

does anyone else get extremly hungry, and crave for junk food just before bed ( cant sleep till you have eaten something) such a bad habbit anyone got any tips ??

Replies

• schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 471 Member
    I am a bad snacker. I also have the habit of getting up in the middle of the night, headed to the bathroom or whatever and deciding I need a little something. I keep a bag of mini york peppermint patties on the fridge for such emergencies. One mini patty usually takes care of whatever need I'm having and it's only 50 calories. I know all those "dieter" people all my life said, "Brush your teeth to tell yourself you're done for the night." That never really worked for me. I can usually close out the night with a cup of hot tea or diet hot chocolate and a 100 calorie snack pack of something interesting.
  • i have the same problem... i will try to eat some blueberries, and i really love spitz in the shell.... you can eat 1/4 cup unshelled for 100 cal, and it takes quite awhile to shell that many, makes it seem like you are eating more. skinny cow mini fudge bars are only 50 cal each, and you get that ice cream and chocolate fix too. i know eating right before bed isn't good, but at least these are reasonably okay
  • i get super hungry before bed. actually i am hungry right now! I try to keep fresh fruit in the fridge or frozen fruit in the freezer and if I grab a strawberry or 2 and put a little peanut butter on I'm good. Its kind of a little treat I guess. I don't do it every night, but if your body is telling you its hungry. I say eat a little something. Or theres always string cheese. I'm a kickboxing inst. and we always stress if you have to have something before bed eat protein. :) Hope that helps
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    my trainer was saying that when you go to bed there's a chemical in your body that increases as your stress decreases that helps you not be hungry when you are ready to go to sleep... when you wake up, as your stress increases, the chemical decreases & you start to get hungry. if you are eating a nutritious dinner, and having a snack around 8 or so, you shouldn't be so hungry that you can't sleep... just tell yourself it's all mental, don't eat & let the calories go to your *kitten* while you are sleeping & you'll be proud of youself in the morning.
  • that makes sense as i have trouble sleeping, i get qwite anxious before i go to sleep. might have to do some relaxation before bed. and yumm frozen berries my favorite.
  • I usually don't snack before bed, but tonight I'm eating laughing cow cheese (35 cal wedge) and 4 crackers (70 calories for 4) so a little snack without much total calories!!
  • kitticot
    kitticot Posts: 1
    This will be my biggest obsticle, I'm a true nighttime snacker. The kids are in bed, husbands asleep, and its time for me to play on the computer or watch a chic flick with a good snack. My favorite nighttime snack is chips or popcorn. Soooo now I am trying to eat carrots, celery, or chex mix if I have to have something at night, and just enough to let my mind know I had something crunchy :)
  • I don't have midnight snacking problems...BUT I do have trouble right after school around 4ish....have a snack and sometimes want more.