"If every day were like today... "

Options
At the end of the day when we each close out our food diaries, has anybody ever kept track of what your "weight would be if every day were like today"? I've marked mine sporatically on my calendar and next week is what I marked for a 5 week time span... "should be" weight seems reachable with a kick my butt workout everyday, but was wondering if anybody ever actually DID reach that 5 week "should be" weight? How accurate do you think that little note at the bottom of our diary is?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Mine changes, because I don't always hit my calorie goal, I just use it as a bit of motivation for when I've had a bad day it says that I could weigh MORE, so the bad days that are THAT bad are few and far between.
    I'm getting close to seeing an important change on mine though so eager to keep going, it keeps getting lower what my projected weight is.
  • Pippi8
    Pippi8 Posts: 12
    Options
    I was gonna post about this tonight! When I'm eating the calories and net calories they recomment, my weight loss looks like it will be so slow! When I was eating way too few calories it predicted great weight loss in much less time! So that's confusing and tempting to keep my calories too low...but of course I wont' lose weight if I'm in starvation mode. So, I'm eating more calories and exercising the right amount off and I have no idea what to expect! LOL all I know is I'm doing it in a healthy way albeit perhaps not the quickest way...but quick ways will only backfire in the end. I think that prediction is based on net calories alone....but we really just need to make sure our net calories are at least 1200 or else we won't really lose any body fat at all if our bodies think they are starving. Focus on body fat and measurements, not scale weight. :-)
  • rautaty
    rautaty Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but i am willing to give it a try. :)
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i was just thinking " WTH " .. today was one of the " bad days " .. and i'm well over my kcls budget - and it said " if every day were like today you'd weigh 239.
    On the good days which are like 90 % all - it tells me i would weigh 230 in 5 weeks.

Now here comes the annoying part. I've started with 259.. and i've been tracking it for more than 8 weeks.. i'm between 248-250
    no where near the 230

it's annoying me because i think it's not even close to the reality , don't think it's correct
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I've been keeping track of my current and projected weights in an excel sheet. Yes I am a little crazy. On average I am 9.05lbs over my "if every day were like today" but I don't do every day the same. Sometimes I go way over. I have had projected weights for the whole month of February, and as I said, they're low by about 9lbs. I really try to keep at my 1200 calorie limit, but I don't always. Hope this helps
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I usually write it in the "note" section...I'll close my diary before I enter my workout and write down that number, then I'll enter the cals. burned from exercise, complete diary, then write that number down...just so I can see how much of a difference working out makes. I'm not sure if it works though, I've been on here longer than 5 weeks, but didn't keep track of it at the beginning.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    As long as
    a) your goals are reasonable: 1 lb a week for most people; 2 lbs a week or more if you're very overweight
    b) your set activity level (sedentary, lightly active, very active) reflects your actual activity level
    c) you follow the recommended calorie allowance as closely as possible

then, yes, it's very accurate.

If you stray too far from the recommended calories (both up OR down), then the predictions get wonky, and your results will not be as planned.
  • Amyhue
    Amyhue Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Definately useless... I'd be a goddess by now... or mabye not... changes each time I hit the button. It's actually my little laugh at the end of the day.
  • CKMama81
    CKMama81 Posts: 50
    Options
    But is EVERY day exactly like the day of your last projected weight loss? I know some days I eat a lot of the same things...but throw something different in...or I'm a little lazy on my workouts and don't burn as much as I should...so technically it's a guesstimate of what you "could weigh" if you did every thing the exact same...however, for those who suffer from slower metabolism...that "in five weeks..." may actually be 8, 10, 14 weeks...ya never know. As long as you're slowly changing your lifestyle to a healthier one...and safely taking off the pounds...it's a success.

And since I've gone so far off topic...lol No, mine didn't match up...I am about 10lbs heavier than what my "in five weeks" said I would be at this point.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know on March 30th. :laugh: I wondered the same thing so I took the number it told me and picked the date 5 weeks out and put it in my Outlook Calendar saying 'Weigh 317 yet?' - hehe So I don't know if it is accurate, but I am curious too.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    As long as
    a) your goals are reasonable: 1 lb a week for most people; 2 lbs a week or more if you're very overweight
    b) your set activity level (sedentary, lightly active, very active) reflects your actual activity level
    c) you follow the recommended calorie allowance as closely as possible

then, yes, it's very accurate.

If you stray too far from the recommended calories (both up OR down), then the predictions get wonky, and your results will not be as planned.

Precisely. Very unlikely that EVERY day between now and 5 weeks from now will be the EXACT same - you'll be higher or lower on goals some days. It's there mostly to give you a good picture of what you're doing on a daily basis, and how that will effect your weight loss in the longer term. When you're doing well, it can give you a mental boost. When you're not...it can be a good kick in the pants. :tongue:
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This Friday will be 5 weeks since I started keeping it in my notes section and it says in 5 weeks I'll be 322.1 lbs- It's Monday/Tuesday and I'm at 325.2lbs so to me, it's looking to be pretty close for me- as long as I maintain that effort diet and exercise wise. I was sick last week and a few days this week that hindered exercise, so I'm sure if I'm not there by Friday, it will only be a few more days. :) I'm going to continue to check in on it and see how accurate it is- but so far- looks to be pretty close! :)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Mine is different every day because I do different things every day. I don't really pay much attention to that.
  • chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this too... Think I'll write down was today's says and see how close I am in 5 weeks time! x