What's it with all the bumping lately...seriously...

Options
spaboleo
spaboleo Posts: 172
I know you want that topics to get pushed up again...but why with a "bump" comment and not something constructive or another question that may add a new (your!) perspective to the discussion?

I regularly look after my latest postings, because I know that sometimes questions may be asked. And I am always happy if anywhere is a new answer. But when I scroll down on that specific page and just see the word "bump" I'm kind of disappointed :ohwell:

Thanks anyways :smile:
Great Community...and one of the most opened in the web! :love:

Replies

• Thenewscott
    Options
    bump....8)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It seems to me like alot of people put bump if it's a question being asked and they don't know the answer, so its a way of getting more people to answer for them as well as the poster.
    I've also seen bump on reallly long posts where people think it seems interesting but don't have time right then to read it, so they bump it, and then it's easier for them to find later on.
  • spaboleo
    Options
    I may can understand the first point...somehow...maybe :wink: ^^
    But in most of the cases the questions have been answered already. Anyhow in the topics I recognitioned a bump...
    Why not add some new spice to a previously asked question if it didn't got answered the way you hoped.

The last behaviour (bumping to read it later) is totally unacceptable in a message board, where the topics on the main page have got a half-life period of 20minutes up to half an hour max.
    Don't get me wrong, but what are booksmarks in your browser for if not for things like that.
  • amberpaigee
    Options
    I like to 'bump' a post where there is information in that I want to read later! That way, when I have time, I can just click on 'My Topics' and see the topics I want to read, rather than having a big bookmark folder (which has got too many bookmarks in it already, haha!).
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Bump, bump, bump, bumpity bump:laugh:
    I have to agree about "bumping" just so people can find the topic again. I've often found topics where 4 of 5 pages is just the word "bump" over and over again.

Bookmarks are very useful. I use them all the time for topics I want to refer back to
  • spaboleo
    Options
    I like to 'bump' a post where there is information in that I want to read later! That way, when I have time, I can just click on 'My Topics' and see the topics I want to read, rather than having a big bookmark folder (which has got too many bookmarks in it already, haha!).

Get firefox plus it's extension "read it later"...
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    ummm

random-funny-stuff-funny-road-signs-BUMP.jpg
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    bump....8)
    :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Bumping is actually a form of compliment. The person reading your thread feels it is so important, that others should read it also:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    But in most of the cases the questions have been answered already. Anyhow in the topics I recognitioned a bump...
    Why not add some new spice to a previously asked question if it didn't got answered the way you hoped.

The last behaviour (bumping to read it later) is totally unacceptable in a message board, where the topics on the main page have got a half-life period of 20minutes up to half an hour max.
    Don't get me wrong, but what are booksmarks in your browser for if not for things like that.

As for being acceptable, they are here on MFP. I love when my post is bumped! With a shelf life of 20 minutes it is sometimes the only way others will be able to read and comment.

Been here 3 years and love doing the bumpty bump...........:love:

I shall however take note you do not like it :glasses:
  • happybunnysbabe57
    happybunnysbabe57 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i dont like when people bump everyone has there reasons but it is annoying when there is page after page of bump when all i want to do is read what people put on the topics. i refuse to bump i would rather bookmark or read it. if i dont have time to read stuff i dont even look or get on here til i have time. i guess though to each their own..
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Perhaps we should make a suggestion to the website administrator to add a "Watchlist" feature, so that you could just tag posts to go onto your Watchlist without having to do the bump.
  • alacarte
    alacarte Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Made my day. lol Love BMUP Photo
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I can't bring myself to put "bump" on any post...I don't know why....I like to comment on what is being ask/said...sometimes it's "oh, I'll have to read this more thoroughly later", or "that sounds yummy", or "I'd like to know more about this too....or it might be something completely random......

I totally agree about having a watchlist for topic you want to tag....
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    People are lazy, and also unwilling to use the "search" function.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    People are lazy, and also unwilling to use the "search" function.

OR someone wrote a thoughful and educated post that was an AHA moment for someone else. They feel this will help others so they bump it to bring it to newbies attn.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the bumps. I usually only read 'Recent Topics' so it's a good way of finding a thread I didn't know was there!
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options

GEEEEE...I think these boards are for EVERYONE...if ya wanna BUMP...ya can....get over it already.
  • spaboleo
    Options
    Well, that is not the first message board I use intensively...actually I grew up with them and use them since they exist.

I've seen this bumping (or posting "push", "up", "+1" or "^"...as an arrow pointing upwards) in many boards...come and go.

It has always evolved in the same way:
    1) That bumping starts and everyone tries to immitate or follow the path. Mostly done by new users looking for information fast. (They are not to blame, because they are mostly even new to the overall "internet-msg-board-thing" at all.)

2) Really keen users, who put a lot of effort in their posting, trying to provide quality answers, will leave by the time, because that bumping destroys the course of the discussion held in the topics.

3) After that usually comes a phase of overbumping where even normal, otherwise quitre readers avoid the board, because there is no page without a "bump"-post.

4) The quality of the board is gone...and with it it's attractiveness.

It is sad, I know, but that's unfortunately what I have experienced in a lot of message boards in the last decade. :ohwell:
    Yes, lot's of them even where bigger than the community of MFP...
    But none of them ever got such a nice and open-minded member-base! It would be a big loss.

The only thing I would like to achieve with my request was to appeal to your all's common sense in this board and may think about skipping this overall bumping thing.
    You are all both old and wise enough to foresee scenarios as described in the above list in advance.

Thank you.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    bump....8)
    :laugh:
    and again :laugh:
    But I get what ur sayin :)