Do you really need to eat back your exercise calories?

OneLostSock
OneLostSock Posts: 82
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
Following on from another thread, i am wondering if you NEED to eat back exercise calories or if you will get better results not using them?

I understood that exercise was 'extra' - taking into account that i dont exercise regularly (just as and when) so i generally dont need to have the extra calories on a regular basis.

I'm trying to get to grips with calorie counting - i will work on fitness next but i would like to know your opinions on this??
:smile:

Just for reference, i lost 43lbs just by diet alone (I've since gained 21lbs - yup - diet alone too! Lol) Now on track to lose the gain (and a bit more if i can :wink: )

Replies

• From my experience I find that it is best to eat as close to the number of calories that you are given daily, with excercise included. You don't want your body to go in to starvation mode if you are consuming too few calories in your diet. I'm not saying that you have to eat them all, I know that I don't always do that because I don't want to eat if I'm not hungry. Just try a week where you eat all your calories with the excercise included and see how it works. You have to do what is good for you, that's all that matters :)
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Do you want temporary results or results that last you a lifetime? Do you want this to be the last time you deal with your excess weight or just another temporary fix?
    Can you be patient to see these results or do you need to lose all your weight yesterday?

I'm in the camp of eat your exercise calories after reading all of the articles stickied here and seeing the results of people that have followed this plan.
    I was very resistant to adopt this philosophy when I first landed here at MFP.
    It was my impatience for results that was holding me back.
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    I too, think you need to eat them back, even if you only exercise once or twice a week. However, that being said, be careful of "starvation" mode talk. Your body isn't going to go into starvation mode if you only net 800 calories one day a week or probably even two days a week. The main thing is to be consistent, if you work out or burn extra calories during the day, you need to eat them back. Start this habit now or else when you do start doing more exercise, you won't feel as comfortable with eating more food during the day and it WILL be a problem. Stick to it and good luck!
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    I just posted a topic today on this. I tried it both ways, with out eating the exercise calories and then actually eating them. Check out my thread to see what happened. It may answer your questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/179537-i-am-proof-it-works-like-a-charm
  • Thank you - all comments taken aboard. :smile:
  • I just posted a topic today on this. I tried it both ways, with out eating the exercise calories and then actually eating them. Check out my thread to see what happened. It may answer your questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/179537-i-am-proof-it-works-like-a-charm

Great thread btw! x
  • I gained a lb eating back calories. I may as well sit on my fat botty and not do the exercise. :laugh:

I'm going to not eat back calories and see how it goes.

I suppose it's all trial and error and what works for one may not necessarily work for the other. We are all different - and i think i maybe need to shed more calories and not eat them back.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    You don't have to eat them, but I found I lost more consistently when I ate back most of them. It also increased my metabolism to eat and exercise. The good thing about this is I can indulge in stuff I like every now and then and I can go over my calorie count every now and then without gaining.
  • You don't have to eat them, but I found I lost more consistently when I ate back most of them. It also increased my metabolism to eat and exercise. The good thing about this is I can indulge in stuff I like every now and then and I can go over my calorie count every now and then without gaining.

So you keep them in 'reserve' in case you need to go over? I like that idea! :smile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    This is a common question (for good reason) and you will soon find out that people can get very passionate when trying to convince you that what worked for them is best for you. But, before you get into that side of it, It is important to be aware that when MFP calculates calories for you, it has ALREADY included a calorie deficit.

This means that if you eat the calories MFP suggests you should lose weight. eg, if MFP has calculated a 500 calorie (example number only) deficit for you, even if you eat all the cals that MFP suggests and you eat your exercise cals as well you will still have a 500 calorie deficit at the end of the day.

So, the question for you to answer is whether you want a REALLY big deficit. 'Personally I'm of the opinion that this is not a healthy long term strategy, I'm happy to stick with the recommended deficit - actually some days I'm under, some days I'm over, but I consider that the exercise cals are there to be eaten.
  • Thank you Rubybelle.

I think 1200 calories is a big amount for me - i'm only small (as in height wise) and i have enough meals and snacks so i dont see the point of overeating if i dont feel the need for it.

I honestly cant see the point of going for a run then coming home to eat calories just because i've burned them off.
  • tracyd25
    tracyd25 Posts: 3
    Gonna jump on the band wagon here ;o)

I personally think it depends how much you work out in a week. As you said you don't really work out that much and only sometimes. If you worked out regular and often during the week, trust me but you will be begging to eat those exercise cals as your body will crave them after working out. The thing is you do have to be a bit careful being on 1200 cals a day. Let's say you went and worked out and burnt 550 cals that day and you don't eat your exercise cals, that means for that day, you only consumed 650 cals..which is starvation (if done often)....and we all knows what happens when we go into starvation mode...

If you only work out occasional, then i think it's trail and error really, seeing what works for you.

When you said that, you ate your exercise cals and ended up putting on a lb that's just your body adapting that's all.

Good luck Tracy XX
  • joymechelle99
    joymechelle99 Posts: 16 Member
    I personally gain weight if I eat back calories. And personally, it doesnt make sense anyway. The basic science to losing weight is you need to burn more than you take in. I eat between 12-1400 calories on good days and burn over 800 calories 5 days a week. Maybe my metabolism is slow but I know when I eat back those calories my body does not lose it gains. So, my advice is do whats best for your body. I do like mfp and the idea of tracking and counting calories it helps me be more consistent and accountable for what I eat. I am losing now at a healthy rate of about two pounds a week. Oh also, I still retain the nutrients from the 12-1400 calories that I eat regardless of how much I exercise. Guess, there are lots of opinions on this but I know this is what works for me.
This discussion has been closed.