After losing 55 pounds I am gaining weight!!!

Options
HELP! I have already lost 55 pounds and want to kick another 10 pounds out the door but after a week where I worked extremely hard I gained .4 pounds BACK! This is extremely discouraging! Any tips and advice!

Can someone give some CLEAR insight into the starvation mode thing? That's the only possible thought I have since I'm eating 1200 calories every day, maybe that's too low for my body and it puts me into starvation mode? It just seems silly to eat more every day in order to lose more weight.

Please respond!

Replies

• TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Is it muscle?
  • stmaurice
    stmaurice Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    See if you can find a body fat weight scale. It will tell the percentage body fat you have. If you've lost that much weight, you might be at a point where you are building muscle, which weighs more than fat, especially when you're working hard. Could be water intake too.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you're gaining 10+ lbls. Keep is slow and remember that HEALTHY is better than weight loss.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    If you are working out a lot, you very well may not be taking in enough calories. Try mixing it up-bump up to 1400 a day, then 1500 the next, then back to 1200...maybe your body just needs to be shocked. Also, .4 makes me think that you've just replaced some fat with muscle (which is more dense and takes up less room) so maybe take your measurements and keep track of those as well. Congrats on your WL, you'll get those last 10 off! :)
  • WomanPower79
    Options
    its more than likely ONLY water.... lol. .4? when you workout your muscles tend to first hold on to water... just keep drinking and working out... in another week you may see a 4 pound drop. happens to me all the time. good luck.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    DO NOT PANIC!!! You are female, and the female body changes CONSTANTLY due to hormonal changes that take place, water retention, etc! It is EXTREMELY common to gain 1-2 lbs, even, and then lose it again a day or two later (it's not fat gain, just water weight due to changes in your homones)...

If you're sticking to your calorie plan, then you're DEFINITELY not gaining fat, so don't worry! Just keep doing what you're doing, and you WILL see results!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    where are your calories coming from? Are they full of processed carbs? How about protein---are you getting enough lean protein. The lean protein will last a lot longer than any carb. Eat lots of fresh veggies and lean protein. Drink up!!! Half your body weight in water - as I am sure you are aware. My protein count is 110-125 every day!!!!! So eat that protein.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    .4lbs is really nothing at all. Weight can fluctuate a good 2 to 3 pounds a day in some cases depending on what you ate. The best thing to do is just stay consistent with your diet and exercise and your weight WILL go down.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Are your weight loss goals still set at 2 lbs per week? If so it might be time to change to 1 lb per week. The less you have to lose the smaller your calorie deficit should be.