Zumba

Options
Anyone have an idea of how many calories are burned during a 1hour zumba class? I did one last night and put forth all i had, but have no idea how many calories I burned.

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I have heard you burn 500 calories an hour...but that just what someone told me....not what I know from experience....
  • ParadiseIsDying
    ParadiseIsDying Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Apparently it's between 400-500 calories but I haven't been able to find an exact as it obviously depends on your body etc.
    Hope this helps!
  • mom2boys
    mom2boys Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Zumba is in the exercise list, so if you type it in, it will say. I do Zumba twice a week and burn 1,000 calories in a 1 hour class. It's based on the intensity of the class, and your body weight. You should get a heat rate monitor from the sports store. It's like a watch. You can wear it and it'll track your heart and calories burned during the class, they're inexpensive, we have them at Target for $30.
  • Nyirishlass
    Options
    I use the Dance, Ballroom, Fast in the exercise log, that should help you...love me some Zumba!!!
  • redwingluvr
    redwingluvr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Every person burns different with Zumba. I wear a HRM and usually burn over 600 for 60 minutes. But it depends on how much you work it. The more you weigh the more you burn. If you can afford a HRM I would get one so you don't have to guess. It's the best thing I've bought since losing weight & exercising. I would think that on average for 60 mins may be around 500 depending how much you do. Good luck!
  • kps1104
    kps1104 Posts: 58
    Options
    I wear a HRM watch and I burn anywhere from 900-1200 calories per hr :) But it all depends on the intensity of the class and how much effort you put into it, I love it!
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba as well and LOVE it!! I usually burn right at 500 calories a class, and it's in the exercise list, which I realize that may not always be accurate, but it gives you a really good estimate!
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I finally got a HRM and I have a lot of weight to lose so I know that I burn more calories per class than an average size person. However, depending on what songs and the instructor, my calories burned for a 45-50 min class have been between 1100 and 1400. One of our instructors is VERY intense and makes sure we keep moving constantly.. the other one is more laid back and stops between songs to let us know what steps are coming up so the burn in her class is lower.

However, there is one other lady that has a HRM and she is much smaller than me and honestly doesn't try to go "all out" with her arms and legs. She still burns 800-900 per class.

It's all in how much you decide to put into the workout along with the song choices by the instructors.

Good luck :)
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I usually burn 500-600 per hour, but like everone said it really depends on your instructor.
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am frustrated with not knowing for sure how many calories I burn in exercise. I have a fitbit that I love but it only counts steps and calories that I burn with steps. Looks like I should purchase a hrm and definitely go to a zumba class. I have tried the dvds but I'm just not very coordinated.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    In a class I burn in the lower 700's. Using the Xbox Kinect I burn in the mid 600's.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Zumba is in the exercise list, so if you type it in, it will say. I do Zumba twice a week and burn 1,000 calories in a 1 hour class. It's based on the intensity of the class, and your body weight. You should get a heat rate monitor from the sports store. It's like a watch. You can wear it and it'll track your heart and calories burned during the class, they're inexpensive, we have them at Target for $30.

Hey...Where are you typing this in? I cannot find Zumba in the list...Every way I tried, it wasnt there...I decided to use Dancing, general...
  • bethpuma8
    bethpuma8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I googled it on a zumba website, and depnding on the intensity, as well as your weight....I brun about 550 calories per hour of Zumba.
  • Juleswithaplan
    Juleswithaplan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi There -

I had posted a similar question last week and ended up finding out some good info - you can check that thread here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/181809-how-many-calories-do-you-burn-during-1-hour-of-zumba-r

But I found some good info here:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5368632_many-during-one-hour-zumba_.html?ref=Track2&utm_source=ask

Which had this to say on the topic:

"Zumba workouts can vary in intensity, and calorie burn depends on an individual's weight, fitness level and muscle composition. During an hour long session you can burn anywhere from 500 to 800 calories. On average, a 150-lb. person can expect to burn 536 calories during an hour of Zumba. By comparison, the same person would burn 413 calories during an hour of moderate swimming, 477 for an hour of casual racquetball and 684 for an hour of running at a 10-minute-mile pace."
  • mom2boys
    mom2boys Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Hey...Where are you typing this in? I cannot find Zumba in the list...Every way I tried, it wasnt there...I decided to use Dancing, general...
  • Juleswithaplan
    Juleswithaplan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you tried recently? I just added it to the database last week based on the eHow info...
  • redwingluvr
    redwingluvr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If one adds Zumba to the list it only adds it to your personal exercise list. It will then be on your list, not the database.