Emotional Eating

Options
I am new to myfitnesspal, and after many attempted tries at losing weight, I thought I'd take a different approach this time by trying to get some support. I've always been able to lose some weight (25 lbs over the past 2 years), but never can get to my goal.

I think a lot of what is hard for me is the emotional attachment I have with eating. Started the day feeling good and had a tough workout with my trainer. Had a great afternoon and packed healthy snacks for class (I work full time and am in graduate school full time). After coming home and having a conversation with a guy I've been seeing, I felt like he wasn't interested in me anymore and started to feel really bad about myself....so I ate a cupcake. It didn't make me feel any better, but why do I do this??? First of all, I don't need a guy to make me feel good or bad about myself, so why do I get so down about it? Anyone else out there have any advice or have a similar problem?

Replies

• Shel2Peru
    Shel2Peru Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    when stress comes......I always find myself grazing in the kitchen......sure do not have to be hungry to do it......if you get the answer let me know!!:drinker:
  • helengator1
    Options
    I have always done the same thing...until recently....it's getting better. I eat for happy and sad so I'm stuck :) lol. Someone here on MFP said "eating to cope with stress is like taking a nap to get your house clean". It hit home with me for some reason. Now, I think of how dirty my house would be if I napped and didn'tclean it and then i realize my body is the same idea. It's hard, but we can all get there :). :flowerforyou: so happy you are eaching out :)
  • Ohladyofavalon1972
    Ohladyofavalon1972 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think to some degree, we are all emotional eaters, otherwise many of us wouldn't have a weight problem. We eat when we are happy, sad, mad, or to fill some other void that's not being met. For some reason, many of us find comfort in food. I know I do. My boyfriend passed away on Feb 18th and I've been hitting the kitchen like you wouldn't believe, though I still ended up losing weight. I wish there was some way to stop myself from doing that, but so far I haven't found one. I have even started smoking again after having quit for almost 2 months. So not only do I need to get back on my diet, I need to quit smoking too. Food and cigarettes are my crutches when life gets too messy. Even knowing that doesn't prevent me for reaching for them.
  • sunsetsweetie
    Options
    Hi,
    I am new to fitness pal also and have realized that I too am an emotional eater. The triggers for me are usually stress or rejection. I am learning to control my emotions instead of them controlling me. It's easier said than done, however, I am making a conscious effort to stay on track and continue to be focused to achieve my goal. Thanks for your post and I wish you the best!
  • 18HeatherF
    18HeatherF Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome to mfp! There is so much support and motivation here! You'll love it. I have a lot of similar issues. I find myself eating mindlessly when I feel overwhelmed. Its something that I'm trying really hard to stop. Like you said, it doesn't make me feel any better to eat during those times. We can all do it together. Being aware of it is most of the battle! Good luck to you!
    Heather
  • danagardunio
    danagardunio Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the add! Glad to be part of a supportive group!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    willpower
  • danagardunio
    Options
    Ugh me too...rejection and stress are huge! I'm going to try and manage it the best I can by focusing on other ways to "treat" myself...this could get expensive :)
  • lduffee
    lduffee Posts: 14
    Options
    I have found it most helpful to ALLOW the eating. The only rule is that it must be healthy. I have gotten rid of all "junk" food from the house. Veggies, Fruits, Nuts, High Fiber bars, Nutrition Bars, Soy milk with a touch of Hersheys Syrup....... If you are not denied the joy of eating, you will feel in control and I think emotional eating is basically feelings of being out of control. I have lost 60 # since last July, eating good foods and working out . Good luck. Love yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • Scheezo
    Scheezo Posts: 13
    Options
    Emotions are powerful sometimes. I lost 50 pounds last year then got stressed out and gained 20 back. I'm back on track now but at times its a real battle. Seek support here with others. Maybe blog about your feelings before grabbing a cupcake. Sometimes just writing about it will help. Best of luck to you!
  • danagardunio
    Options
    Great advice! I think I have a hard time when I think about what I can't have and that I won't be enjoying my food.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    The book Women Food and God by Geneen Roth is a great read if you suffer from emotional eating/food addiction/binge eating. That book changed my life.

Charmagne
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    You are not alone, its actually really common. It seems I used to be an emotional eater myself. I have pretty good control on it now, but I'd say I still have those tendencies. Logging your calories might help, sometimes having to log it will at least make you think twice.
  • jules_02
    jules_02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater too. Staying busy has helped. Also, stopping and saying to myself "do I really need this" or am I bored/frustrated/anxious/thirsty...sometimes the hardest thing is to keep yourself from wanting to eat food right then and there. Keeping gum handy is another good trick.