EARLY AM WORKOUTS

Options
Okay peeps....I REALLY want to get a quick workout in in the morning before work....I just have a REALLY hard time getting the energy to get through one! The perfect one would be the 30DS or something quick like that. I can do the Leslie Sansone walks, but I really want to do something with a little more umpf. I know I will get used to it, but really wondering how you early birds get the energy to work out first thing! And, how long are you up before you attempt??

Me <~~ tired of not working out till 9:00 or 9:30 at night!

Oh, and yes, I still intend on doing some other cardio in the evenings...just trying to get more in my day and more variety!

Replies

• scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I get up when my hubby leaves for work (5:45am). If I'm hungry, I'll grab something really light (like this morning I had some chocolate milk) and plan for breakfast afterwards. Most days I'm not, and if I eat much, I feel slow and sluggish afterwards and ready to throw up. I do 30DS or Wii Active 2 first and then 20 minutes of Zumba. If I don't feel like doing Shred or Active, I'll do 45 minutes of Zumba and throw in some planks, squats, lunges and a few jumping jacks to get heart pumping (although Zumba takes care of that!). That gives me time to shower, have breakfast and get dressed to leave for work at 8am.
  • SailorMoon007
    SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4am to work out at 430. Crazy, I know. But my motivation is I do the Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout on the Xbox 360 Kinect with one of my dearest friends. We are both up and ready for our 430am workout. If we don't show up, we just let the other one down. Pretty good motivation right there.
    Also, because we can talk to each other over Kinect, we're very supportive of each other and keep pushing each other. Plus, we have each other laughing through most of it. :laugh:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I've always been a morning person.

If I'm going to do an early AM workout, I get up a half hour to 45 minutes before so that I can have some coffee and a small carby snack (like 100 cals).

The problem I ran into with early AM workouts was that I wasn't getting to bed any earlier. Eventually, I was exhausted.
  • chellis76
    chellis76 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I get up at 0345 and do my p90x workouts, I give myself 15 mins to wake up and do my thing! I don't eat before i workout because I don't have time.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I lift in the morning. I almost always skip if I try to do cardio in the morning. I generally start working out about 20 minutes after I wake up because I have a bit of a coherency issue when I first wake up. I also eat a banana before I start to give me an engergy boost or I'm starving half way through.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find the energy to get up in the mornings and workout....if I had work at 8...I think I would have no problem(well, I wouldn't say no problem...maybe slight problem) getting up for a 6 am workout...but since I go to work at 7....my body doesn't really know that 5 o'clock exists in the morning....much less try to get up and move at that time....
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Options
    I was actually going to the gym for a light cardio, stairmaster for 10-15 and lift weights. Ihave to be at work by 7 am, so I would get up around 4:30 am to wake my mind/body and get dress and hit the gym. I eat a banana or have a shake on the way about 5 min from home and do my thing!! Now I workout at lunchtime, which requires me to change my clothes & freshen up before return to work. I need to change things up a bit.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical so I set my clock, snooze a couple of times, then get right up and head to my workout room. If I sit and think about I won't do it but getting it out of the way is a joy.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 6 - working out by 630 and I do the Shred. I also try and run 2-3 times a week at night. :) Pretty soon my shift is changing so I'll have to get up at 5.. Kudos to all you EARLY risers!
  • kma1005
    kma1005 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi there! Try a pre-workout drink. I drink it about 20-30 minutes before my morning workout and it really makes a difference. Any GNC (or similar store) has a few different types to choose from. One of more popular brands is Muscle Maxx, which is what I use (the orange flavor is pretty good). I was worried it would be too strong since I’m a petite woman so my boyfriend suggested I only use about ½ - ¾ of a scoop. I was thankful for the advice because ¾ of a scoop gives me plenty of energy. I only add about 4 ounces of water so I’m not too full before the workout. I'm doing P90x and before I started taking the pre-workout drink, I would crash half-way into the workout. Now I'm going strong until the end.

If you’re not into supplements, eating something really helps. Try two pieces of wheat toast about 30 minutes before your workout and it will give you a boost and help keep your energy level up.
  • crystalDRA
    crystalDRA Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I got up yesterday and today and did the 30DS which I had been doing after dinner at night. I got up at 5 and was in the shower around 5:50. I was only up long enough to drink a glass of water and change clothes (so maybe 15 minutes or so) then got started (I didn't eat before which is probably a no-no, but I had a protein shake while I was getting ready for work). I wore my HRM and burned 197 calories doing Level 1. I was pleased with how quickly I was through with it, and it didn't really mess up my morning routine because I only got up about 40 minutes earlier than normal. I am trying it like this because I still want to go to the gym in the evenings, but wasn't really having time for gym and 30DS. Also, I actually felt better than nomal throughout the day and I attribute it to the early workout.
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I cheat myself sometimes. I specifically set my alarm about half an hour before I need to be up to get a workout in and still have time to get ready for work. I hit the snooze twice so I wake up gradually. I will usually have a light quick snack before I start so that I've got energy for the workout.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    My alarm is set for 4:55 and I am usually in the livingroom with Jillian by 5:10. I am not hungry when I wake up so I grab a glass of h2o and get going. In the shower by six and out of the house by 7. It took a couple of week to make it a habit but now I actually wake up right before my alarm goes off. Also, my friends on here expect to see me log my early morning workout. I also like that I have a better idea of what my calories for the day should be and can spread them out.
  • peebs82
    peebs82 Posts: 7
    Options
    Just remember that early morning work outs are far more effective than work outs at any other times of the day. I have that as a mind set so if I don't get up and get on with it I feel bad for the rest of the day regardless of whether I work out later or not.