Zumba Question.

Options
I went to Zumba last night for the very first time and actually quite enjoyed it. However I was wondering what would I log the exercise as. I don't where a pedometer so I have no way of knowing at this point roughly how many calories I am burning. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thnx!

Replies

• michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I put it in as high intensity aerobics :)
  • gennyvieve
    Options
    i log it under slimnastics/jazzercize. :)
  • Njdaz1982
    Options
    my fiance does that too and logs it under cardio dance or something close to that. it seems to be on the high side of burning the calories but it is the best that could be found so far.
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    You could also log it in under aerobic dancing... I saw it one day browsing the different exercises.
  • bitabee
    bitabee Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I believe that Zumba is copyrighted so you can't enter it as a workout, unless you add it in the database as your own workout...some people post "dancing, ballroom, fast" or yes, "high intensity aerobics!"
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I log it as aerobics/general.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor. It burns a bit more than high impact aerobics, but that is the closest comparison I found on here based on what I burn in an hour.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I logged it as high intensity aerobics. I've done fast ballroom dancing. It never left me breathless and drenched with sweat the way Zumba does! :smile:
  • travelgirl96
    Options
    I use the "slimnastics" option in the exercise catagory. I think you can look it up on www.clickfit.com too. hope this helps.
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    i log it as high impact aerobics
    x
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    Bump
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I logged it as "High Intensity Aerobics" for months before I got my HRM.

When I got my HRM, I was surprised that the calories for "High Intensity Aerobics" were pretty darn close!
  • jillbarnes
    Options
    I believe that Zumba is copyrighted so you can't enter it as a workout, unless you add it in the database as your own workout...some people post "dancing, ballroom, fast" or yes, "high intensity aerobics!"

I added in my database as my own work out. You can usually burn 500 calories an hour doing Zumba. I've only recently started back at Zumba and am learning the routines, I'm calculating it as 400 calories. I'd rather estimate low. ;)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I burn a lot more than 500 - usually between 650 and 800 in an hour. If you can afford a HRM, invest in one; otherwise, "high impact aerobics" really is the closest.
  • fat2ittybitty
    Options

I added in my database as my own work out. You can usually burn 500 calories an hour doing Zumba. I've only recently started back at Zumba and am learning the routines, I'm calculating it as 400 calories. I'd rather estimate low. ;)

Thanks! Good to know, last night I calculated it as low impact aerobics because I wanted to be on the 'lower' side as well. Considering it was my first time as well I was stepping over my own feet, probably didn't maximize my burn last night but it was fun and would reccomend it to anyone looking for something a little more exciting to their routine!