Healthy hamburger recipes

Options
I know hamburger is not the most healthy of meat choices, however, its what's in the fridge and on the menu tonight. I want to fix something relatively healthy with it. Any suggetions?

Replies

• skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    NO bun, is the best way to eat it. just dip it in some mustard wich has no calories. Chop it up after it is cooked and put it in a lettuce leafe with mustard and some ketchup. Make it a wrap that way. You will feel better eating it this way than with a bun anyway.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    nummies..we just had veggie boca burgers last night..on whole grain natures own buns (130 cals), with low fat cheese, tomatos and lettuce with sweet potato fries..mmm it was good.
  • nhhartmann
    nhhartmann Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This is a weight watcher's recipe and one I keep on hand for when I just want a burger. The tomato juice added to the extra lean beef gives it the moisture I miss from fuller fat beef. Love, love, love the cilantro lime salsa on top. I need to build the recipe here to see stats

Mexican Chili Beef Burgers

1 pound(s) uncooked lean ground beef (with 7% fat)
    1/4 cup(s) onion(s), minced
    1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
    1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder, ancho-variety recommended
    1/4 cup(s) canned tomato juice
    1 large egg white(s)
    1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
    1/2 tsp table salt
    3 small tomato(es), ripe, diced (about 1/2 cup total)
    3 medium radishes, diced, (about 1/4 cup)
    1/3 medium avocado, Hass, diced
    1 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped
    1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
    1/4 tsp table salt
    4 item(s) reduced-calorie hamburger roll(s), toasted on grill

Instructions
    Preheat grill (or grill pan) to medium heat.

In a large bowl, combine beef, onion, garlic, chili powder, tomato juice, egg white, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of salt; combine thoroughly. Form mixture into 4 patties, about 1/2-inch-thick each.

Place burgers on grill and increase heat to medium-high; cook for 5 minutes. Flip burgers and cook for 5 minutes more. Flip and cook 1 minute more on each side for medium (and longer for desired degree of doneness).

Meanwhile, make salsa. In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, radishes, avocado, cilantro, lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon of salt; mix to combine.

Serve each burger on a roll topped with about 1/4 cup of salsa.
  • cherfurr
    cherfurr Posts: 38
    Options
    Go to Hungry-girl.com - she has bunches to recipe re-do's using familiar foods with a low cal version!!
  • conawayk
    conawayk Posts: 5
    Options
    Cooking light has some great recipes for using ground beef on their website. I have done the beef, cheese, and noodle bake and the mushroom gravy salsibury steak both were pretty good. This week I'm hoping to try their cheese stuffed mini meat loafs. Homemade sloppy joes aren't too bad on the calorie count either, but you can only have one sandwich.
  • Bethy25
    Bethy25 Posts: 73
    Options
    If you like Cabbage, this is a cabbage casserole recipe, sounds yucky but is really yummy...

Cabbage Casserole

1Lb Hamburger
    1Medium Chopped Onion
    1Head Cabbage
    1Can Tomato Soup
    1Can HOT Water
    1Cup Minute Brown Rice
    2Cups Cheddar Cheese

Brown Hamburger and Onion, drain grease. While browning burger, Cut up Cabbage in about 1 in chunks and put in bottom of 9x13 cake casserole dish. Mix dry rice with hamburger/onion and spread hamburger rice mix over top of raw Cabbage. In a separate bowl, combine soup and water until smooth and pour evenly over hamburger/cabbage etc. Sprinkle with Cheese. Cover and bake at 350 Degrees for 45 minutes covered, Uncover and bake for 15 more minutes or until Cabbage is fork tender. 1/6th of the recipe is about 330 calories. Leftovers are even better!
  • nhhartmann
    nhhartmann Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just built the recipe and here are the stats:

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Calcium
    Total: 1320 124 46 120 32 29
    Per Serving: 330 31 12 30 8 7
    This is a weight watcher's recipe and one I keep on hand for when I just want a burger. The tomato juice added to the extra lean beef gives it the moisture I miss from fuller fat beef. Love, love, love the cilantro lime salsa on top. I need to build the recipe here to see stats

Mexican Chili Beef Burgers

1 pound(s) uncooked lean ground beef (with 7% fat)
    1/4 cup(s) onion(s), minced
    1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
    1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder, ancho-variety recommended
    1/4 cup(s) canned tomato juice
    1 large egg white(s)
    1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
    1/2 tsp table salt
    3 small tomato(es), ripe, diced (about 1/2 cup total)
    3 medium radishes, diced, (about 1/4 cup)
    1/3 medium avocado, Hass, diced
    1 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped
    1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
    1/4 tsp table salt
    4 item(s) reduced-calorie hamburger roll(s), toasted on grill

Instructions
    Preheat grill (or grill pan) to medium heat.

In a large bowl, combine beef, onion, garlic, chili powder, tomato juice, egg white, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of salt; combine thoroughly. Form mixture into 4 patties, about 1/2-inch-thick each.

Place burgers on grill and increase heat to medium-high; cook for 5 minutes. Flip burgers and cook for 5 minutes more. Flip and cook 1 minute more on each side for medium (and longer for desired degree of doneness).

Meanwhile, make salsa. In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, radishes, avocado, cilantro, lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon of salt; mix to combine.

Serve each burger on a roll topped with about 1/4 cup of salsa.
  • Paradis
    Paradis Posts: 54
    Options
    NO bun, is the best way to eat it. just dip it in some mustard wich has no calories. Chop it up after it is cooked and put it in a lettuce leafe with mustard and some ketchup. Make it a wrap that way. You will feel better eating it this way than with a bun anyway.

I like this idea.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    +1 on the no bun idea and make sure its lean turkey or chicken. Hamburger meat even super lean is like 200 cals per 1/2 cup and full of fat, crazy!

I had a lettuce veggie burger at Real Sports in Toronto a couple weeks ago. They literally sliced an iceberg head of lettuce in half so I had to reduce it down in order to bite into it but it was a great idea.
  • mkballard1014
    Options
    I'm sorry, I like my bun. I recommend the Oroweat Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins. They're 100 calories and don't taste like cardboard. There's also turkey burgers you can have that are 150-200 calories.