Diet Plates

Options
pixxie11
pixxie11 Posts: 14 Member
Hi all

I was wondering who has a diet plate and if they are effective. I am quite lazy and I know all my portion sizes are incorrect!

Thanks

Replies

• andrewferk
    Options
    I think the best tools are measuring cups and a scale. You can buy measuring cups for a couple bucks and a scale for about $30, so it shouldn't set you back too much. If you eat the right sized portions you will probably make your money back by saving food! Not to mention, you should lose weight (if that is your goal).
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    what exactly IS a diet plate??
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I bought a food scale, was cheaper than what I've seen the diet plates for and more widely usable.

I measure my cereal by zeroing the scale with the empty bowl on it, no hassle to portion out what I want for cereal, rezero it and pour in my milk.
    Meat is weighed raw so I know before cooking what the weight is, a diet plate with a space for a deck of cards can be "cheated" by using thick slices of meat so you get more than was intended, going by weight I know what I'm having for everything.
  • SARRY562
    SARRY562 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

??????
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I think that you're going to have to measure and/or weigh things for awhile. I am as well.

Any Dollar Store should have measuring cups and measuring spoons, but even if you have to get them at WalMart, they're cheap.

It's also helpful to have a variety of storage containers. Gladware and Ziploc make some pretty inexpensive and sturdy ones. They're great for storing single serving leftovers--then you just grab them as you need them! I have sizes in everything from a half cup on up!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

??????

I think the OP is referring to dinnerware that either is a premeasured size or has markings on it for certain measurements. That way you measure your servings by filling the dinnerware itself, rather than needing to drag out the measuring cups and then transfer what you've measured to a plate or bowl.
  • madhousenmich
    madhousenmich Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    A diet plate is a plate where they have the portion marked on the plate, just google diet plate and lots of different ones come up.