Beans?

Options
Im looking for recipes for various beans, not the green type.. but chili, lentil, black eyed peas, black beans, etc... I dont know of any!

Replies

• NykoleMazzola
    Options
    i'd like to know some of these recipes too :) thanks
  • bitabee
    bitabee Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Im looking for recipes for various beans, not the green type.. but chili, lentil, black eyed peas, black beans, etc... I dont know of any!

My husband and I love cooking beans!

Ok, here's a recipe, one that I simply call "Mexican Mix."

On one burner, boil water for brown rice. Prepare according to package. Should take 35-40 minutes.

In a sauce pan, heat 1 T olive oil...
    Add 3 cloves chopped garlic, 1/2 chopped onion, chopped green pepper, frozen corn.
    Once cooked down and beginning to brown, add 3/4 favorite salsa.

Now rinse 1 can black beans and 1 can kidney beans. Add to saucepan.
    Add 1 T taco seasoning mix and 1 t cumin. Careful with the taco seasoning mix- watch for sodium!

Mix all together, cover with lid and let cook down. You can always add a small amount of shredded cheddar cheese for extra flavor, but it's definitely not needed. Enjoy with brown rice.

Super easy, lots of fiber, protein and keeps you full!
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options

My husband and I love cooking beans!

Ok, here's a recipe, one that I simply call "Mexican Mix."

On one burner, boil water for brown rice. Prepare according to package. Should take 35-40 minutes.

In a sauce pan, heat 1 T olive oil...
    Add 3 cloves chopped garlic, 1/2 chopped onion, chopped green pepper, frozen corn.
    Once cooked down and beginning to brown, add 3/4 favorite salsa.

Now rinse 1 can black beans and 1 can kidney beans. Add to saucepan.
    Add 1 T taco seasoning mix and 1 t cumin. Careful with the taco seasoning mix- watch for sodium!

Mix all together, cover with lid and let cook down. You can always add a small amount of shredded cheddar cheese for extra flavor, but it's definitely not needed. Enjoy with brown rice.

Super easy, lots of fiber, protein and keeps you full!

That sounds so nice ,will have to try it :)
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    This recipe is from Vegetarian Meals in Minutes by Rose Elliot

Butterbean curry

75g/3oz Desiccated Coconut
    225g/8oz Tinned butterbeans
    175g/6oz Rice
    1/2 Cinnamon stick
    4 Cloves
    4 Cardamom pods
    25g/1oz butter
    1 onion peeled and chopped
    1 Garlic Clove, crushed
    1 tsp Medium Curry Powder
    25g/1oz plain flour
    25g/1oz Sultanas
    1 tbspn Lemon Juice
    Salt ans pepepr to taste

1) put the coconut in a bowl and cover with 450ml/ 3/4 pint boiling water and leave to infuse.

2) Wash the rice in a sieve under the cold tap. Put it in a saucepan with 350ml/12 floz cold water, the cinamon stick, cloves and cardamom, crushing the cardamom pods against the side of a pn with a wooden spoon. Add a good pinch of salt and bring to the boil.

3) Turn the heat down low and leave the rice to cook until all the water has been absorbed. Turn off the heat and leave it to stand covered for 10 minutes.

4) Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan and gently cook the onion and galic for 5 minutes. Strain the coconut through a seive into a bowl, pressing it against the seive to extract as much water as possible. Discard the coconut but keep the water.

5) Stir the curry powder into the onion mixture, add the flourand stif for 1-2 minutes until it froths. Pour in the strained coconut liquid, stiring until it thickens. Add the sultanas and let it simmer gently for 7-10 minutes.

6) Make sure the rice is stil hot and check the seasoning, reheat if necessary.

7) Add the butterbeans to the sauce with the lemon and salt and pepper, Fluff up the rice with a fork and serve.
  • habibti
    habibti Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You could also try researching Indian recipes. My husband is from Ahmadabad, India and I've learned a lot of Indian recipes with lentils and beans. We are lentil crazy! Some of my favorites are daal tadka, and khichdi with yellow lentils, chana palak with spinach and chick peas, moong beans (sprouted and un-sprouted) are great too. I often times have to "healthy-up" the recipe by reducing or substituting some ingredients. I make brown rice to with everything, naan is my favorite, but too dangerous for me right now! mmmm... getting hungry writing this! :P
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I always use dried beans - they're cheaper and by doing them yourself you can control the uhm "musicality" that may result.

First some tips with cooking dry beans: salt aids in digestion, so don't nix it. Also, bay leaves and kombu (seaweed) help removing some of the offending compounds. Lastly, it's better to do the soak over night than the quick cook - at least that's what I've found.

Alrighty!

I made a lentil soup with some chicken stock, cumin, onion. Very simple. Add some spinach or kale to get some nice greens in there.

I was crazy for some Cuban black beans (frijoles negros) a few days back and I finally got in touch with a friend with Cuban roots, here's her recipe:
    "saute onions, garlic, green peepers, add beans (or if from dry add to softened beans), cumin, bay, oloives, lots of loive oil, a dash or vinegar, a pinch of sugar, salt peper....can add two tbs of tom sauce or paste but i don't . (I think ppl who eat meat add a ham bone too traditionally)"
    You'll have to cook them for awhile, like 3hours to get them soft and incorporate the flavors. Not on high heat, but a decent bubble and remove the foamy stuff as they cook. These are awesome over rice, or with chicken.

Alrighty those are the two I can think of right now. Good luck!
  • loveshinesthru
    Options
    Thanks, keep em coming!
  • loveshinesthru
    Options
    i like indian, curry, mexican, chili, etc...
  • bobbo1
    bobbo1 Posts: 1
    Options
    This is one of my favorite chili recipes. It freezes well, so I'll double the recipe and save most for later.

Black Bean Chili

1 onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 lb ground turkey
    3 15-oz cans black beans, undrained (you can substitute one of the cans for black refried beans to thicken)
    1 14.5-oz can crushed tomatoes
    1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon Chipotle powder or to taste (optional)

In a heavy pot over medium heat, cook onion and garlic until onions are translucent.

Add turkey and cook, stirring, until meat is brown.

Stir in beans, tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, basil, vinegar, and chipotle powder.

Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 60 minutes or more until flavors are well blended.
  • genevaturtle
    genevaturtle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I usually just take some beans (black, red, pinto, kidney or black eyed) and soak overnight to soften. Drain and rinse, then add fresh water to boiling them in. When boiling down I add onion, garlic powder, Luzianne or Tony Chachere's seasoning, a jalapeno pepper, turkey bacon pieces and a dash of salt and pepper.
  • Genie30
    Options
    Fron Healthy Vegetarian by Annie Nichols

Serves 4

5cm / 2inch piece of ginger root peeled and roughly chopped
    3 garlic cloves roughly chopped
    25ml / 8fl oz / 1 cup of cold water
    15ml sunflower oil or Olive oil
    1 large onion thinly sliced
    1 fresh red chilli finely chopped
    1/4 tspn Cayenne pepper
    10ml/ 2 tspn ground cumin
    5ml / 1 tspn ground corriander
    1/2 tspn ground turmeric
    30ml / 2 tbspn lemon juice
    75g / 3oz / 1/3 cup of fresh corriander, chopped
    1 x 400g tin of black eyed beans
    1 x 400g tin of Aduki beans
    1 x 400g tin of Haricot beans
    freshly ground black pepper

1) place the ginger, galic and 60ml / 4tspns of the water in a blender and mix till smooth.

2) Heat the oil in a pan. Add the onion and chilli and cook gently for 5 minutes until softened.

3) Add the Cayenne pepper, Cumin, Ground Corriander and Turmeric and sti fry for 1 minute.

4) Stir in the ginger and garlic paste and cook for another minute.

5) Add the remaining water, lemon jucie and fresh corriander, stir well and bring to the boil. Cover the pan tightly and cook for 5 minutes.

6) Add all the beans and cook for a further 5-10 minutes. Season and serve.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for posting!
  • bespatter
    bespatter Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I am going to make this!
  • loveshinesthru
    Options
    what are aduki and haricot beans?
  • Genie30
    Options
    Haricot beans are the beans you get in tins with tomato sauce (baked beans) but plain in a tin with water. Aduki beans are small red beans. Thats the only way I can discribe them!