Help getting started....

Options
Hello everyone, I am new to MFP. I am going to be very honest here, and tell you guys the truth. I am huge. At nearly 500 pounds I have to make a change. I am a 31 year old male, 6'2" tall, and have put on most of this weight during my 5 years of marriage that has now come to a end. After 2 years of living single and loosing 3 jobs do to lay off's, I need to start fresh. I need to drop this weight to be able to find a good job and a new girl. :0)

So, my question is, where do I start?

I have been using MFP for a few weeks now. I have been able to stay under my calorie goal of 2200. I have been using the Nike+ with my iPhone to walk at the local track a few times a week. I have worked up to about 4.5 miles at a time, at a pace of about 3.0Mph.

After reading some of the blog post here, I read that I am suppose to "eat back" my calories lost while walking? This seems counter productive in my brain. Why not just stay under my calories and not walk?

Also, MFP suggest over 3000 calories for a person of my size, I feel that is just way too much. I already feel like I am eating too much food at the 2200 calories. I have switched to all healthy foods. Salads, lean red meats, fish, chicken, ect. Baking things rather than frying, no soda, lots of water, and much smaller portions.

I have ordered a scale that only goes to 440 pounds. I know I will not be able to weigh right now, but the day I do see a reading will be awesome. So, the fact that it wont weigh me is my motivation for now. I want to get to where I can weigh at home. I was weighing on a pallet scale at the warehouse I was working at.

So, is there any key suggestions that any of you can make? I have seen some awesome before and after shots on the message board. You guys are inspiration!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tim

Replies

• theflowmaster
    theflowmaster Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Tim,

First of all, congrats on starting the best plan to loose weight I have ever found. I too am 31 yrs old, Im 6'1, and overweight for quite some time. I have found great success with MFP. I have been doing it for 55 days and have lost 30 + lbs. I havent weighed in for about two weeks so not sure what I am at, but Im down two pants sizes, two belt loops, and three inches off my waist and hips.

It will take some time to get adjusted to the new routine, but its easier as you go along. Be sure and track everything and you will be fine. I have found that when I eat right, and excersise there is no way to even come close to my calories it allows me for the day and I have continually lost weight and inches since I started. Keep pushing through, and you will be on that scale in no time.

Good luck man. You are welcome to send me a friend request if you would like some extra accountablitly/encouragement.
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Good for you for making the commitment to get healthy! Keep in mind it will take some time - listen to your body. Walking is never a bad thing so keep it up. I'm guessing MFP puts your calories high to start so you can work yourself to fewer and not cause your body to go in to shock!?

Good luck on your journey!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    The suggestions MFP provides are based on the activity level you entered, your weight and what you would need to eat to lose weight without working out. If you work out, it gives you those calories back so you don't take in too few calories each day. If you consistently burn more than you are eating your body may freak out and refuse to let go of the extra fat. It stores the extra because it's afraid you won't feed it enough.

My suggestion would be to do what MFO tells you to do for a couple weeks. You may need to tweak it a little bit but many people have lost lots of weight doing what MFP suggests. It can work for you too!

Good luck! :smile:
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

Here is a posting that someone put on here... I would go through and read the 4 links at the bottom of the first post on the page. don't bother reading the comments.
    It targets a lot of questions like eating back your work out calories (which I agree with I eat atleast 3/4ths of mine)

Congrats on your weight loss journey! I think we all can say that it is so impressive the changes that we all have made using this website!

Stick with it and you will most certainly see changes!!!

Congrats and I applaud you!

Ps Feel free to add me as a friend!!! we can all use support. =)
  • pbxr
    pbxr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi Tim & welcome! :flowerforyou:

I've been at MFP for over a year now and committing to coming here every day & being honest has given me great results. In addition to that, I feel great. (An awesome byproduct!)

I would encourage you to remember that this is a process and it takes time. None of us became overweight overnight & it will take a while. Developing the habit of logging your food in every day and going for a walk (great way to begin your exercise journey) 3-5 times a week will definitely help keep you on the right path. You've already gotten off to such a great start! :happy:

Welcome along!

Paige

PS ~ I am one who tries not to eat back my burned calories. Just FYI.
  • TimKirkwood
    Options
    Wow, Thanks for all the fast support guys. I can see this is going to be a great community. I am determined this time. I have been too big for too long. I want to be able to send before and after pics to my ex with a big smile.

The thought of buying cool T-shirts and stuff from regular stores and not settling for the striped nasty crap at the the Big and tall shop gets me excited too.

Thanks Again!

Tim
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Wow, Thanks for all the fast support guys. I can see this is going to be a great community. I am determined this time. I have been too big for too long. I want to be able to send before and after pics to my ex with a big smile.

The thought of buying cool T-shirts and stuff from regular stores and not settling for the striped nasty crap at the the Big and tall shop gets me excited too.

Thanks Again!

Tim

Just promise that you wont get discouraged when it doesn't move as fast as you would like.... Lost of people do and they give up. You will see results, if you start seeing something you don't want to see, post on here and we can help you through it... Just DONT GIVE UP! its so easy to do, and soo detrimental to your future success. =)
  • Lindac67241
    Lindac67241 Posts: 314
    Options
    Good for you!

My suggestion is just cut out all the junk food that you eat during the week and save it for 30 minutes once a week as a bonus for being good all week. After 30 minutes no more. Got to be good again So think about what it is you really want for your bonus, but it must be eaten within 30 minutes, and then dust yourself off, go for a walk and keep it moving.

Linda
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Hi TIm,

Welcome to MFP and congratulations on making the committment to lose weight. I've been here for 5 months and have lost 50 pounds. As a general rule, I do NOT eat back my calories. I too feel like it is counter productive, but some people do and it works for them. I also tend to try to stay under the calorie limits that MFP says I should be doing. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things with the exercise and the change in food. Make sure you drink lots and lots of water and make sure your salt intake is minimal, since salt tends to inhibit weight loss.

As for where to start, I think you already have made a great start. The next thing I would do, is reach out to folks. (Feel free to add me as a friend if you so desire). The support on MFP is amazing. Make sure to set reasonable goals. While you may not be able to see the changes on your home scale yet, you will. Celebrate the little victories and above all else, know that there will be good days and bad days, but don't give up. Use the many tools on here (recipe counters, exercise counters etc) to help you on your journey. Also, remember that this is a journey. It took a long time for us to put on the wieight, it will take a long time to take it off. Try incorporating things into your daily routine that you can live with for the rest of your life, because the last thing you want to do is lose a bunch of weight, only to gain it all back plus more.

Make sure to track EVERYTHING you consume - from that 5 calorie stick of gum to accurate measurements of everything you eat. It's amazing how quickly calories can add up - even with a salad, depending on what's on it.

Anyway, good luck to you, and if there's ever any help I can provide, please let me know.

Sue
  • bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Hi Tim,

The things that I concentrate on have mainly been mentioned,but I am living by the following points.

No junk food/processed food.

Drink water constantly

Log all food

Walking three times per day...the fresh air is so good for you and actually helps you to stay more positive as it is so good for your mood,plus you get out there and meet people,even if it is just to say hi in passing.I have become a complete walk a holic...lol.

Good Luck with your goals and I am sure you will soon be getting new t shirts.
    Finally stay in touch with the community daily so that you can glean as much support as possible,why not join the odd challenge,its good to be part of a group.You can add me for support and will be glad to encourage you if you wish,I am on here every day.Again good luck my friend.
  • TimKirkwood
    Options
    I am blown away by the support here. Thanks SO much. Living alone and still trying to shake the last of my depression, you guys dont realize how much it means.

So, from the postings so far, it seems like I am on an ok start. When the scale arrives I will start trying to use it once a week and let you know when i can see a number and not --error-- LoL

Here's to a better future.

Tim
  • jwstew007
    jwstew007 Posts: 67
    Options
    Hey Tim,

I just started MFP 2-3 weeks ago too, and I was close to 450.

MFP suggested that I eat 2200 as well but after my stomach to get used to eating that much, and not growling as often, I started setting the limit at 1700, some days I eat about 1200-1300 calories but don't fell like I'm starving.

If you haven't already got a scale to weigh your food I would suggest so.. it was amazing that what first considered a 'dieting' portion was actually a lot more.

~Add me if you want
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given you some great advice. The only thin I see that was not touched on was MFP's calorie goal for you and your calorie goal. MFP essentially gives you the minimum based on what your body should need to function and it is already reduced.

I myself can have 1200 calories without exercising and can lose a nice rate of about 1 1/2 lbs per week, but our weights are much different. Your body needs a certain amount of calories, carbs, fats and all those other fun things for the basics to function, such as your heart pumping blood, breathing, all those things. check your BMR and you will see exactly what I am talking about. You may feel fine in the beginning eating too low in the calories and probably lose some weight too but you eventually you won't feel well. You also burn alot more calories walking than someone of a healthier weight, so your body is already working harder because of the extra weight is carries.

My suggestion if you find it too high and really don't want to go that high, is to maybe go in between the goal you have set and thiers. Please, be very careful with undereating.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I think one of the hardest things to remember when calorie counting is that calories =/= bad. Calories are good, they are energy and you need energy to burn fat and build muscle. I know 3000 calories seems like an awful lot, but the more you weigh the more energy it takes to do every day things. If your deficit is too low, it can be a bad stress to the system so I would recommend trying to get close to the MFP goal for a few weeks and then seeing how things are going after that. If you choose to take a more aggressive approach, I would at least get a professional involved so that they can monitor your health during the journey. Also remember, as you lose weight your calories will go down too, so be sure and update your stats consistently.

Good luck on your journey! I'm so excited for you!
  • theflowmaster
    theflowmaster Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kerry1023
    Kerry1023 Posts: 152
    Options
    Hi Tim,

Just wanted to say welcome and great job on taking the most important step. Aside from all the great advice everyone has given you, I have found that the support and motivation of this community has helped me tremendously. Use your Friends for support and encouragement. It’s nice to have individuals there to help with questions, concerns or just say great job!

Best of luck on your journey to a new lifestyle.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP,Tim!

Remember, weight loss is 80% dieting and 20% exercise. You could lose weight by only dieting. No matter how much you exercise, stick to the food program and stay in your calorie budget. In my opinion you should also eat your exercise calories, others will say eat half of them.

Above all be very very patient! Savor every small victory (I remember rejoicing when I could finally cross my legs scissors-style). Learn the calorie content of everything. Knowledge is power power power! You're in your early thirties and there is PLENTY OF TIME... DON'T PANIC! There's a lot to learn but after a while it will become second nature. There are many hurdles, physical and psychological, to overcome but you can do it slowly, one day at a time. Think "three years", not "three months".

To me, recording what I eat is the HEART AND SOUL of the program. Even if I "fail" one day by going over my calorie limit, I "succeed" when I record everything... it's a way of taking back control and knowing where I stand. I've recorded everything so long now that it is second nature. I'm glad to read that you have a smart phone and I hope you have the MFP app... that app will SAVE YOUR LIFE. It is worth every bit of your monthly wireless data plan, whatever it is costing you.

All the best.....
  • TimKirkwood
    Options
    Welcome to MFP,Tim!

Remember, weight loss is 80% dieting and 20% exercise. You could lose weight by only dieting. No matter how much you exercise, stick to the food program and stay in your calorie budget. In my opinion you should also eat your exercise calories, others will say eat half of them.

Above all be very very patient! Savor every small victory (I remember rejoicing when I could finally cross my legs scissors-style). Learn the calorie content of everything. Knowledge is power power power! You're in your early thirties and there is PLENTY OF TIME... DON'T PANIC! There's a lot to learn but after a while it will become second nature. There are many hurdles, physical and psychological, to overcome but you can do it slowly, one day at a time. Think "three years", not "three months".

To me, recording what I eat is the HEART AND SOUL of the program. Even if I "fail" one day by going over my calorie limit, I "succeed" when I record everything... it's a way of taking back control and knowing where I stand. I've recorded everything so long now that it is second nature. I'm glad to read that you have a smart phone and I hope you have the MFP app... that app will SAVE YOUR LIFE. It is worth every bit of your monthly wireless data plan, whatever it is costing you.

All the best.....

Thanks for the support! Yes, I have an iPhone, I am using MFP and the Nike+ a lot. I have not really set any goals or time frames yet, Well, I guess I have a mini goal, to get down enough that my scale does not show --err-- LOL. it is rated to 440, I think that last time I weighed I was 470, so the first 30 is a goal.

Doing my best to log everything accurately. Eating out is harder to log it seems. Esp for the smaller local places that I cant find in MFP and they don't have websites with nutritional info. But I try to over guess on those a little to stay within range.

Tim
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Way to go you are off to a great start. I took your numbers and ran them through the equations at http://www.hussmanfitness.org I recommend jon's site as great read. I had to guesstimate your body fat % based on average weight for a large frame at your height.

John's recommendations came out to 1810-2450 calories per days so I would say your current diet is about right. You may want to consider using the MFP goals - change goals - custom to tweak you calorie targets to be more in line with what you are doing. Someone of your size should be able to pull off a larger weight loss target for a while. Although to be honest I am not sure how aggressive you should go or for how long.

Maybe some others will chime in.

If you want send a friends request I would be more than happy to provide what help I can on your journey.
    Daniel