Aerobics... general, moderate or high impact??

Options
How do I know if the aerobics I am doing are general, moderate or high impact?

Replies

• Jaccilatt5
    Jaccilatt5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    A zumba instructor told me to just go by...if you feel like you could definately kick it up a notch and be ok its general....if you find it tough to talk while your doing it then its moderate...if you feel like you have sweated your body weight and you feel like you wanna die then its high impact...
    Lets just say that her classes are more towards high impact.lol hope this helps
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Well, it depends what fitness level you are at to begin with and somewhat your age and the condition of your muscles and joints.

I have been doing a step-aerobics class for over a year. I am 44 years old and my knees are not in the best shape anymore.

For me, low would just be a warm-up, moderate I would start elevating my heart rate and breathing heavier, high would leave me winded with fatigued muscles and a very pink face!
  • Sergio985
    Options
    A friend of mine who is a "professional" runner told me that the body burns fat when working at 75-80% of its capacity. If you work harder, the body needs more energy faster, so instead of burning fat it burns protein (which releases huge quantities of energy). For example he told me to run at a speed where I could still talk. If I can run and keep talking (cmon, but not walking slow), my body will burn more fat and I can keep going for long.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Low to me means an elevation of HR (from resting HR) by maybe 25%.

Moderate to me means an elevation of HR by maybe 50%.

Vigorous or High Impact I only use when I work at or above 70% of my MHR for the majority of the time like in a spin class etc.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine who is a "professional" runner told me that the body burns fat when working at 75-80% of its capacity. If you work harder, the body needs more energy faster, so instead of burning fat it burns protein (which releases huge quantities of energy). For example he told me to run at a speed where I could still talk. If I can run and keep talking (cmon, but not walking slow), my body will burn more fat and I can keep going for long.

Well... You're also going to be building a lot of lactic running at 80% of MHR, so you won't be doing that for very long as a person of normal fitness.

As a pro runner his lactic threshold will be way higher than that of a normal person and he'll have a much better VO2 Max.