low sugar cereal?

Options
is there such a thing? I heard we should have cereal that is under 5 g of sugar and at least 5 grams of fiber.... know of any??

Replies

• scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Grape Nuts have 7 grams on fiber to 5 grams of sugar.
  • elenee
    elenee Posts: 5
    Options
    that would be called oatmeal or a grain that is whole (like in a whole peice) sweetened with stevia
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I eat both of these everyday in my greek yogurt:

Fiber One Original (1/2 cup) I believe has 1g of sugar

Special K Protein Plus (3/4 cup) I think has maybe 4 or 5 grams?

Both are good choices as they are low cal, fat, sugar, and have a great deal of protein and fiber.
  • jlcghs27408
    jlcghs27408 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great question! Curious to see what others say. I gave up on finding a good cereal & I'm trying to switch to oatmeal. I'm also looking for a good recipe for low-sugar granola.
  • kdavis74
    kdavis74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean has 10 fiber to 6g sugar. Not bad.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Plain puffed wheat and Shredded Wheat (or Shredded Wheat & Bran) have no salt or sodium. I eat both of those with a bit of cereal that does have some sugar (usually All Bran Buds), a few raisins and a drizzle of honey :)
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Shredded Wheat has 0 g of sugar and 6 g of fiber. Steel cut oatmeal has 1 g of sugar and 4 g of fiber. I love both and eat them often with fruit and almond milk - and I stay full all morning.
  • kinofaucet
    Options
    Original Fiber One cereal has 0 grams of sugar.

It is also only 60 calories per serving.

Great stuff.
  • nhhartmann
    nhhartmann Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same thing and the one I eat (that tastes pretty good) is Kashi Heart to Heart which is 5 g sugar and 5 g fiber
  • Senta7
    Senta7 Posts: 8
    Options
    oatmeal is the way to go. It fills me up for hours. When my hunger for lunch comes on, it's a natural hunger that comes on slowly and I don't have afternoon cravings when I eat oatmeal for breakfast. If you don't have time for Steel Cut, try Silver Palate Rough Cut oatmeal with banana (or organic raisins), chopped walnuts, cinnamon and a little milk if you like. Yummy! Whenever I eat cold cereal on the run, I end up fighting craving later in the day.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    The best for me:
    Cheerios!! 1gr sugar per 1 cup...3gr fiber..
    bran flakes 5gr sugar per 3/4cup..5gr fiber
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought cereal with significant added sugar since my youth. Even corn flakes don't have much sugar (2g/cup) in their natural state. My go-to cereal is oatmeal. Good quality muesli mixes also won't have added sugar, but will be higher in sugar because of dried fruit.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    You can also cook oatmeal ahead of time and then heat it up in the microwave.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    great ideas, thank you all so much!
  • elenee
    elenee Posts: 5
    Options
    make your own granola...Start with Old Fashioned Oats, use soaked and pureed dried fruit for the sweetener. Toss with desired ingredients and bake on low til it is dried out.