For those doing the 30 Day Shred...

Options
What size weights do you use?

Right now, I'm still on level 1 and using 2lb. weights because that's all I have right now, but I feel like I'm not getting the most out of the workout with them, they're too light.

I'm gonna pick up some 5lb. weights tomorrow while I'm out, and I was just curious to know what size weights you guys are using? :)

Replies

• ASUDaizy
    ASUDaizy Posts: 2
    Options
    I started out with 5's and after a good few mths and doing heavy weight training as well, went to the 8lbs but b/c of the type of exercises, I don't think I'd go any higher on that workout.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I started with 3lbs for my 2 rounds of it and got awesome definition!..barely now im picking up 5lbs and 8lbs...dont go to heavy then you cant speed it up...they use 3lbs
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I use 5lb ones. I found it tough to begin with, but it was also some thing to aim for. I was so excited the first time I got through each level being able to do all the reps with the weights.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I use these pink balls that came with my mat. I think they're 2 or 3 pounds. The workout kicks my butt, so I'm not increasing any higher. I figure if Jillian and the other two are using 2-3 pound weights, then I shouldn't try to out do them.

Maybe instead you should go up a level? You don't need to adhere to a 10 day per level schedule. If you're not getting the burn, then you're probably in better shape than those who struggled through level 1.
  • rsprinkle
    rsprinkle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am doing it every weekday morning with 3 lb weights, is good enough to fatigue my muscle, but not too tough that I can't finish the workout, I tried 1 lb this morning and it was too light, 5 lbs is probably too heavy if you plan to do it every day, keep up the good work!!! Jillian will push you!!!!
  • findingabetterme
    Options
    I just did the first day of level 1 -- I started with 5 lb weights but quickly realized that I couldnt do that so put those down and used 3 lbs for the rest of the workout. The workout kicked my butt -- Im looking forward to being able to get through it without dying!
  • tethomas73
    tethomas73 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Since I have been doing Jillian shape up front and Maximize complete it made it easy for me to use the 5lbs. while doing the 30 day shred.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    The 1st round I used 3 lbs and now I use 5 lbs. Before I would even alternate with 3 & 5 lbs.
  • crystalDRA
    crystalDRA Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started with 8lb (on Day 1) because I use 12 for bicep curls at the gym, but the 8's were actually too much. I dropped to 3lbs. (for Days 2-5). I'm on Day 6 today and plan on trying out 5lbs because now that I've got going, the 3's are not challenging me as much. When I start Level 2, I may have to drop back down, but I'll just play it by ear when I see how it feels.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    5 and 7lbs, depending on the exercise.

Charmagne
  • nctc521
    nctc521 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have 5lbs. I like them for all the exercises except the front raises(shoulders). I bought 3's to try for that
  • kuhristeee
    kuhristeee Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your input guys! I think I'll buy 3 lbs instead of 5 lbs because I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. See, I had no idea how heavy their weights were, I guess I just assumed that they were using much heavier ones because of their fitness levels. I certainly wouldn't want to try to outdo them, lol.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I started with 3lbs today but I think on some of weight parts I need the 5lbs. So I will be alternating them.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm using 2lbs to start. I've injured myself before (tendonitis in my elbow) from trying to do more, and I don't want that again!
  • limestar
    limestar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    i use 8lb and 15lb but i lift a lot of weight. if you are just beginning i would recommend 3lb and 5lb then progress once it gets easier.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I started with 5lbs and used that for a month although 5 is quite hard for the deltoids so feel free to switch to a lower weight. I only did 30ds once b/c it only burned 150 cals a session for me and I wanted a higher caloric burn for my efforts. Plus the music/attitude/back-up chicks suck A LOT! But its $10, you get what you pay for.
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have 1kg ones, not enough for biceps, but get me to fatique on the shoulders.
  • mikedigesu
    mikedigesu Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is the 30 day shred? I'm new here and I don't know anyone. I'm just getting started and I want to add exercise to my plan. Thanks for the info!
  • sdckc6528
    sdckc6528 Posts: 19
    Options
    The 30 day shred is JIllian Michaels 30 day shred DVD. You can buy it at most all stores for somewhere around $10. She states you can lose up to 20 lbs in 30 days. I am on day 4 and it is definitely a workout! From what I have read most people lose substantial inches from doing it!
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I started out with 4 lbs weights and have graduated up to 8lb for most of the exercises. I use 15lbs for dumbell cleans and flys.