Protein Overdose????

urpsgirlfriend
urpsgirlfriend Posts: 8
edited September 24 in Introduce Yourself
Hi I am new to the site! LOVE IT so easy to use and the food diary is very up to date and easy to add to if the data is not on there. I do have one question though. I have noticed that I am going pretty far over on my protein intake. Is this okay? What is the possible side effects?

Replies

• nikkinikki113
    nikkinikki113 Posts: 279 Member
    I had a reaction to a high amount of protein a few years ago. I just broke out in hives and had a little trouble breathing. I would just keep an eye, but I think if you are just a little over, it's probably not a big deal.

Hope this helps : )
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    the site's recommendation for protein is something that i've seen folks mention around here -- many change their carb/fat/protein ratio to 40/30/30, and that seems a more reasonable number for protein intake...
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    as long as your protein is lean and healthy---have at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENJOY
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    MFP's default nutrient settings give a pretty low protein dose, so I doubt it.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    check some of teh older thread by doing a search.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/138772-too-much-protein?hl=protein#posts-1889533

But yes, MFP reccomends 15% of your cals to come from protein. You can change your goals manually. i use 55% carb, 30% protein, 15% fat.
  • Wow! Quick great responses! Thanks guys!!! I will keep an eye on it and try not to go too far over and let you all know how it goes!!! :smile:
  • TimWeis75
    TimWeis75 Posts: 30
    I have the opposite problem. I use MFP to help increase my protein intake while keeping a set number of calories.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Thank you for the post!!! I was noticing that mine was high too but looking into it and reading a bit it didn't seem to be that far off. Great advice about changing the ration!!
  • Most people don't get enough protein in their diets. Rule of thumb is for you to have 1 gram of protein per your pounds in weight. The thing that you want to keep in mind is that your body can only consume about 30grams of protein at any one time so any more then that and it will turn into stored fat (NOT good). So separate your protein out into cycles about every 3 hours apart and you'll be just great! Muscle burns fat, protein feeds the muscles.

Feel free anyone to "friend" me for my daily "food for thought" tips and inspiration. Cheers, Colleen
  • nxcguy
    nxcguy Posts: 15 Member
    I know people that go on the all meat diet seems to work for them and that has got very high in protien and thay seem ok.
  • ginnyroxx
    ginnyroxx Posts: 763
    i love protein.
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Most people don't get enough protein in their diets. Rule of thumb is for you to have 1 gram of protein per your pounds in weight. The thing that you want to keep in mind is that your body can only consume about 30grams of protein at any one time so any more then that and it will turn into stored fat (NOT good). So separate your protein out into cycles about every 3 hours apart and you'll be just great! Muscle burns fat, protein feeds the muscles.

Hmm... is it 1 gram / lb, or 1 gram / kg?

At 200 lbs, given the 30 grams / 3 hours, that means I'd have to be eating seven meals, spread across 18 hours a day! :huh:
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    1.2 to 1.7 grams per kilo is about he range of reccomendtions you will find.

that would equal 0.54 to 0.78 grams per pound.
This discussion has been closed.