Ganglion Cyst..

Options
Has anyone had one? I have it on the back of my wrist, I think i'm getting surgery. How fast is the recovery? I'm in a splint now.

Replies

• alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I had one over 20 years ago. I had it removed but I can't remember how long I was in recovery - not too long. Sorry I can't help more - they do say that you can bash it with a bible (or other large book) and it will disperse. Maybe worth a try?? !
  • wises5
    wises5 Posts: 53
    Options
    no cuz my is in a bad spot, & the ER doctor said I can fracture some joints lol
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Oh don't do that then - good luck!
  • loulou1949
    loulou1949 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have one on my left wrist. Guess I should go to the doctor. Mine is right where you take your radial pulse.
    Good luck to you.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I had one on the inside of my wrist, for a couple of years. I didn't know what it was until a chiropractor friend explained it. He said it could be drained with a needle, and as indicated above sometimes people use various methods to pop them. He recommended a quick visit to the doctor. At the time I was doctorophobic so that wasn't gonna happen.

I just bit it and it went away, lol
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I had one and the doctor punctured it with a needle and dispersed the fluid. I filled up again but I found that if I massaged it the fluid would disperse again. I kept doing that and it has been gone for over a year and has not come back this time.
  • countrymom75
    countrymom75 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I HAD ONE IN THE TOP OF MY WRIST FOR SEVERAL YEARS WHEN I WAS YOUNGER AND OVER TIME IT WENT AWAY WHICH THE DOCTOR TOLD ME IT COULD DO OR IF IT GOT WORSE THEY WOULD HAVE TO DO SOMETHING. SINCE THEN THE LAST FEW YEARS I HAVE HAD 2 IN THE SIDE OF THE SAME WRIST DEVELOPE. SOMETIMES THEY BOTHER MY MOTION IN THE WRIST. GUESS IF THEY GET WORSE I WILL NEED THEM LOOKED AT. OTHERWISE IF THEY DON'T BOTHER YOU THEY ARE NO THREAT. ?
  • CurriedGrasshopper
    CurriedGrasshopper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had one that got quite large on my inside wrist at the base of my thumb. It was rather painful.

I went to the doctor and she tried to tell me it was a bone deformity :noway: despite my describing it as 'having squish' and sometimes gaining size within hours/overnight after I did something to aggravate it.

Once again losing faith in the medical profession I went home and beat on the cyst with a large object. Popped it myself and it's never come back.
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My sister had one on her wrist. She has had hers drained a few times and finally had surgery December 2010. She was sore for a while. In fact, it sometimes still bothers her. The roots to her cyst were so long the doctor made mention that it could come back because he just could not get it all of it out. Any way, she is able to work out but her wrist is still a bothersome occasionally!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I had one many years ago on the top of my left hand.
    It disappeared on its own without any intervention from me or a doctor.
  • wises5
    wises5 Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks, they said the prefer not to drain them because they are more likely to come back
  • mayana2002
    mayana2002 Posts: 192
    Options
    I have on on the base of my right thomb... The first time it appeared hurted like hell... MY whole arm and shoulder was in pain. It was kind of sof and disappeared after few weeks. Then one year later, it come back. NOw it is kind of hard, not soft anymore. I don't feel pain like before. I went to a doctor and he said if it doesn't hurt, you don't need to remove it. It looks ugly though... I am planning to remove it in one year from now. I am glad it doesn't hurt. I don't want to remove it now because I need to go to the gym. After surgery you will not be able to twist or rotate you wrist for a while. And you will lose partially the moviment. You will need to to after surgery physiotherapy he explained that to me.
    In my case it is complicated because the cyst is very close to my nerve and ligaments... Seriously, taking that bomb anesthesia for just a bump? If it was a local anesthesia I would have done long time ago.
  • wiglitt
    wiglitt Posts: 22
    Options
    I had one on my foot. The doctor drained it with a large needle (kind of reminded me of a turkey baster ). The procedure was very painful and he said I might or might not get one again. He deadened the area prior to draining it but it still hurt. It might have hurt so bad because of where it was being next to a bone. Maybe the wrist would not be that bad.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Well I had one on the back of my wrist also- and I had my husband hit it with a book and it has never returned. Just saying.... no broken bones BUT I am not even close to a doctor...

I had one drained previously with a needle by my doc and it came back SEVERAL times...