question about whey protein and flax seed

Options
jkohan
jkohan Posts: 184 Member
I'm looking at a suggested menu and it lists as a snack: 1 TBS of flax seed and 1 scoop of whey protein....don't you need to mix those things into something to ingest? I can't imagine you're supposed to scoop right into your mouth! No other food is listed under this snack to mix it into.

Suggestions?

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    That would be one dry, yucky mouthful...I doubt that's what they want you to do....though I can't really help....I bought flax seed, but I haven't found something to put them in that hasn't made me want to gag yet....lol....they aren't very tasty to me....
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    The whey you can mix with water. I prefer it with skim milk or unsweetened almond milk. Pretty much whatever you want to do though. Flax seed can be sprinkled on salads or other foods or added to a protein drink too.
  • Amyann44
    Amyann44 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Whey protein can be mixed with alot of things. Water, milk, or add it to a smoothie. Not sure about the flax seed
  • viansa
    viansa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I used to put flax seed oil in my whey protein shakes mixed with milk or water. I used to have a great recipe for flax seed muffins that were incredible! Made with flax seed, egg and sugar free maple syrup. Oh those were good, I need to find that.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Flax seed can be ground and put into almost everything. Grind it, and add a little water, and it can be used as a substitute for oil in some dishes. I've added it to muffins, bread, cereal, eggs, casseroles, meatloaf, etc.
  • wondergirl1003
    wondergirl1003 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have flax sprinkles. I use them to make a yogurt-granola parfait type of snacky.... Take low-fat yogurt, mix in some quick oats, grape-nuts and sprinkle in some flax. Add some fresh fruit for sweetness (or use flavored yogurt if you are terribly concerned with the sugar) and viola! I used to eat that almost everyday for breakfast.
  • katacha999
    Options
    That would be one dry, yucky mouthful...I doubt that's what they want you to do....though I can't really help....I bought flax seed, but I haven't found something to put them in that hasn't made me want to gag yet....lol....they aren't very tasty to me....

Ha haha indeed one dry mouth full!

I found a great recipe for "chicken nuggets" with flax seed.

Take chicken skinless, boneless (I prefer thighs as they are tastier) and cut into chunks.

Take 1 c of flax seed and 1 c of bread crumbs mix together.

In separate bowl mix an egg and 1 c of pureed sweet potato, yam, or turnip (cook before and puree)

Dip chicken in sweet potatoe mixture and then into flax seed mixture.

Now you can fry in olive oil lightly; OR you can bake/broil them on a cookie sheet (that's what I do).

This recipe is from "deceptively delicious" - great cookbook for tricking kidlets into eating veggies!

Cheers.
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    thank you for the suggestions! What's odd is that this daily food menu is very specific with calories and protein, carb, fat values indicated--with a daily total...so why would they include it but not give anything to mix it with?

flax seed with lunch was easy--since I sprinkled it on my salad...but both the p.m. snack and evening snack mention whey protein and flax but nothing to mix it with--so I'm guessing they want water? BLECH.
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I grind my flax seeds, whenever I think about it, and add the grounds to whatever I'm making. I have yet to taste a difference.