Age old debate: cardio vs. weights

Mustang_Susie
Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I've heard its 40% cardio and 60% weights, or maybe it's vice versa, to see good results.

I think you need both. Not just for weight loss and fitness in the here and now but (I'm speaking as a geriatric nurse here) to retain and maintain as much strength, flexibility and general health as you get older too.

Cardio, obviously to work your heart. lungs, circulation etc.

Weights to strengthen your muscles, joints, bones etc.

What do you think?

Replies

• ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    I always feel so much better when doing weights so i try to do 30mins cardio and various free-weight exercises at home. Muscle helps you burn fat I believe, so you should really do both for overall toning and weightloss.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Definatley! I feel so much better and stronger since adding weights to my routine a couple years ago!!!
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Ive been told to get down t omy desired weight then to start weight training to build muscle
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    You need both.

Cardio works your heart... which is super important

And strength training works your muscles. which is key in losing weight (more muscle=quicker fat loss)

So I do both 45 minutes of cardio usually because I am tryiing to get my heart rate down super low
    and 30 minutes or more of Weight training. To tone and Strengthen and aid that fat loss
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    I do both but I prefer weights. So I do 2 different workouts each day. Usually weights at 5 am and cardio at noon at the gym on the elliptical.
  • ian191
    ian191 Posts: 29 Member
    You should ideally do both, so yeah, I completely agree.

With weight training, you gain strength, of course, but it also increases your metabolism, because the bigger the muscles, the more energy it takes to use those muscles.

Cardio is great for your heart, and metabolism too, and helps with daily tasks such as just walking around, going up stairs, etc. Cardio also helps lose fat, something weight training doesn't exactly do (or at least as fast as).

However, some claim that cardio causes you to lose your muscles -- something to do with the release of hormones which eats up your muscles.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I think it depends. For ideal general fitness I think both are needed, but depending on your goals, you can lean heavily one way or the other and still get results.

From after college to my early 30's I did nothing but heavy weightlifting. Only a little bit of cardio thru pick up sport activities, or street hockey. I was very quick with short bursts of speed & power. I ate everything in sight, but still maintained a respectable bodyfat ~10% +/-

Jump to mid 30's, haven't touched a weight in 5 years now. But I run a lot and am currently training for a marathon. I don't eat nearly as much as before, but still a good bit and also a little healthier. Same body fat %, maybe a shade less.

I weigh about 12-15 lbs less than I did, am not nearly as strong, but I can run forever without getting tired.
    2 opposite ends of the training spectrum, very similar body fat %, and very different fitness goals.
  • ewarm24
    ewarm24 Posts: 29
    you want to do both of course, but depending on your goals is what depends on how much cardio and how much weights you use. I would "not" do weights more than 3 times a week and give yourself a good 24hrs of rest. I did weights twice a week and cardio 3 or 4 times a week to loose weight. now i'm trying to add muscle and am doing weights 3 times a week and cardio 2 or 3 times. again it all depends on your goals. =)
  • kimmerroze
    Personally... I do weights atleast 3 times a week, and cardio atleast 4 times a week. I work out for an hour and a half total each work out.

I have lost 6 inches in the last two months, and NO WEIGHT because I am building the same amout of muscle weight that I am losing in fat weight. I am stronger, more toned and I love it.

This week I am getting my body fat % tested.

My opinion is that if you want to look sexy SOONER add weights in. THey will help bring a little more definition to your body. BUT Cardio is soooo key to your health too, don't do one without the other.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    I think it depends. For ideal general fitness I think both are needed, but depending on your goals, you can lean heavily one way or the other and still get results.

From after college to my early 30's I did nothing but heavy weightlifting. Only a little bit of cardio thru pick up sport activities, or street hockey. I was very quick with short bursts of speed & power. I ate everything in sight, but still maintained a respectable bodyfat ~10% +/-

Jump to mid 30's, haven't touched a weight in 5 years now. But I run a lot and am currently training for a marathon. I don't eat nearly as much as before, but still a good bit and also a little healthier. Same body fat %, maybe a shade less.

I weigh about 12-15 lbs less than I did, am not nearly as strong, but I can run forever without getting tired.
    2 opposite ends of the training spectrum, very similar body fat %, and very different fitness goals.

That!!!
  • ewarm24
    ewarm24 Posts: 29
    Personally... I do weights atleast 3 times a week, and cardio atleast 4 times a week. I work out for an hour and a half total each work out.

I have lost 6 inches in the last two months, and NO WEIGHT because I am building the same amout of muscle weight that I am losing in fat weight. I am stronger, more toned and I love it.

My opinion is that if you want to look sexy SOONER add weights in. THey will help bring a little more definition to your body. BUT Cardio is soooo key to your health too, don't do one without the other.

i agree with you, but some of us can't work out 7 days a week. =) I have also been told that anything over an hour is a waiste of time. i try to keep my cardio to an hour (hour and 15 tops) and my weights to about an hour as well. i've lost over 40 lbs in a years doing it this way and that was with not so great eating habits,( im getting better though).

p.s. you dont take any days to rest? i think its good to rest at least one day a week. even when i was young(er) i only worked out 6 days a week.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    I lost 70 lbs just doing 2 spin classes, but I am using a mix to get the last of it. Even if you just do cardio to start with, I am sure you will find gains in strength because that cardio is straining muscles in a way you haven't used before. I am also sure with just weights as you will be increasing your heart and lung usage.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    My gym has a nice indoor track next to a set of circuit weight machines. I really like doing one station, running a lap, do another station, run a lap... etc. When I do a simple cardio exercise I don't leave the gym feeling "tired" like I do when I lift weights, so it's a nice way to mix it up.
  • kimmerroze

i agree with you, but some of us can't work out 7 days a week. =) I have also been told that anything over an hour is a waiste of time. i try to keep my cardio to an hour (hour and 15 tops) and my weights to about an hour as well. i've lost over 40 lbs in a years doing it this way and that was with not so great eating habits,( im getting better though).

p.s. you dont take any days to rest? i think its good to rest at least one day a week. even when i was young(er) i only worked out 6 days a week.

WOAH! I never said that I worked out 7 days a week. You are adding things to my post. I work out atleast 4 times a week, if I can do more than I do. If not then not. But I try to work out more days than not, because in my opinion, I am not moving forward as much on days that I dont' work out. So FOR ME it is like taking 4 steps forward and then staying put or taking a few steps back on the days that I don't work out. If I only take 3 steps forward or 2 or 1 (figuratively speaking) then I am not going to reach my goal as quickly.

and I have no idea why someone would tell you that physical fitness over one hour is a waste of time, if that were so, I think professional athletes should be notified... they exercise waaay more then 1 hour a day. In order to do a proper cardio work out you have to stay in your targeted heart rate frame for atleast 30 minutes most people like to do 40 minutes. so your cool down is 5 minutes and your warm up depending on how quickly you warm up to your heart rate could be 10 minutes long. that is your hour right there without even touching the weights....
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    "Ive been told anything over an hour is a waste of time"

oh dear... :huh:

it would seem a lot of my training is a waste of time then.

thought I was doing quite well...

oh well...

Now all I have to do is work out how to run a half mara in 59 mins...
  • kimmerroze
    "Ive been told anything over an hour is a waste of time"

oh dear... :huh:

it would seem a lot of my training is a waste of time then.

thought I was doing quite well...

oh well...

Now all I have to do is work out how to run a half mara in 59 mins...

hahahaha lol I loved the smiley!
This discussion has been closed.