Is it ok to count yard work....

Options
as exercise?

This past weekend I woked on breaking up and old sidewalk, using a jack hammer, then loading a wheel barrel with debris and making many trips up and down a hill to the street.

My heart rate was def up and thought this is good exercise too but I could not find anything on MFP to log yardwork as exercise.

Granted it's not a tough workout but I was curious to know if I had burned any calories.

Anyone have any advice or is this just wishful thinking??

I only got half the sidewalk done so there is more work to be done. :happy:

Replies

• tsgaddy
    tsgaddy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I found that there are a lot of exercise-like things missing (African Dance, shopping... yes, shopping counts, at least for me :-) ). try adding it, and using this site to calculate your calories burned:
    http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/caloriesburned/yard_work
  • Pulse1
    Pulse1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've got a large yard, a push mower and live in the south.

So, yes, any time I mow the lawn it counts. :glasses:
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Hecky yes it is more then okay to count yard work! If your moving then your burning calories! I try to count everything I can I know there is a section for housework under exercises I'm pretty sure there is one for yard work as well! I'll bet you burned more calories doing yard work then you would have walking!
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've got a large yard, a push mower and live in the south.

So, yes, any time I mow the lawn it counts. :glasses:

me too!!
  • tscblue
    tscblue Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yes yard work does count as long as you are breaking a sweat, just like doing some gardening as well.:smile: you add how many minutes you done it then hit mild , moderate, or heavy exercise and it will calculate for you
  • 3Heather24
    Options
    I saw "gardening" somewhere, so if THAT counts then what you did MUST! :)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I say add things that are out of the ordinary and you do quite a bit of work over an extended period of time. I would say you could probably liken it to some strength training exercise for maybe half the time you actually worked (better to underestimate than over).
  • AshaDidIt
    AshaDidIt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I live in Wisconsin and we shovel SNOW! I had to add the exercise to the database for myself.
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Good now when I finish with this sidwalk I will know how to enter into MFP.

And when yard mowing starts I will also enter that.

Thanks