Low SODIUM Bechamel Sauce (homemade)

Options
ChefJenn
ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
Homemade Bechamel ( low calorie/low sodium)
White Sauce
I kept all ingredients to generic brands since not everyone has the same G stores as I do:
1 tbsp unsalted butter ( you can sub for a healthier butter)
1 1/4 cups skim milk
3/4 cups low sodium parmesan cheese ( Kraft or Organic Valley makes this)
Dash of Nutmeg
Dash of Pepper
1/8 cups ( 2 tbsp) of All purpose flour ( you can sub for a glut free flour)
2 sauce pans
whisk
measuring tools

In one of your sauce pans add your milk and nutmeg and bring to a med heat
in your other sauce pan on low heat add your butter, as it starts to melt add your flour in and make a roux. DO NOT BURN IT. If it turns brown toss out and start again. It is very important to keep it white and get it all mixed together quickly.
Once your roux is made add in your milk whisking it all together and slowly add in your cheese & pepper. Keep whisking till your cheese is melted in and then serve.
** If you want a thinner sauce only add one tbsp of flour.

roughly makes 2 cups - serving 6 1/4 cup per serving
cals 104
carb 5
fat 6
protein 7
sodium 36

** I have added this to recipes under Chef Jenn Homemade Bechamel sauce ( low sodium)
I am slowly adding my recipes to the recipes . As I make them and go thru my 10 yrs worth the notes and recipes. My kitchen looks like one huge open cookbook right now!!
~Chef Jenn~

Replies

• TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    thank you :smile: I've been experimenting for a good white sauce, I'll have to try this!
  • valerie58
    valerie58 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Jenn, sounds great and easy.... I will have to try this, any suggestions for low cal pasta?????? I work in Dana Point... Not to far from you:wink:
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    sound really good!

Do you use fresh parm, the powdery kind, or the shredded/grated kind? (or will any work??)