My Wedding Dress, it Fits!

Options
About a month ago I went to try on dresses for my wedding. If you're not already aware wedding dresses run small and you usually have to order a size or two bigger than you want to think you are. I walked into that salon wearing my size 10 jeans hoping that the sample dresses were going to fit my *kitten*. Well I tried on one or two in a size 8 and I couldn't get the damn things over my lady lumps. I was disappointed because I really wanted to try those dresses on but I had to try on the size 14 samples instead. Which means I had to be strapped into the dresses and clipped so I could see how these too big dresses would likely fit. The sales lady suggested I order a 12 and have it altered to fit me but I ordered a 10 instead telling her I was still planning on losing another 10lbs.

Sunday I went for my first fitting and my dress fit perfect. I slid right into that size 10 and it fit like a glove! I'm planning to lose another 10 -15 lbs in the next few months in hopes of having my dress altered down to a size 8 or 6. It was a small success but one that I am really proud of.

Replies

• jessimacar
    jessimacar Posts: 291
    Options
    That's amazing, you must feel fantastic! I hope when I start my dress shopping I'll get a nice surprise like that! :)
  • pandaweevil
    Options
    Congratulations on your accomplishment and up coming wedding! :)
  • rachgleeson
    rachgleeson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thats brilliant, a great achievement!! Congratulations on your wedding, and i can only imagine how stunning you will look :D
  • mellie506
    Options
    congrats girl!
  • lareyna124
    Options
    Congratz! Use that "GOOD " feeling as motivation to continue working out and eating healthy. It's so easy to slack off once you lose motivation.

-Reyna
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I came across the same thing! I was soo upset having to slide into a dress size that was 3 sizes bigger than I really am. Luckily she is having to take off about 2 inches on each side. I was so excited about it!
  • moonbaby487
    Options
    Congratulations! Every small success and good feeling is equally as important as your main goal, because those are what keep us strong and motivated and know it's all worth it. Very happy for your success!
  • chantalicious
    Options
    I came across the same thing! I was soo upset having to slide into a dress size that was 3 sizes bigger than I really am. Luckily she is having to take off about 2 inches on each side. I was so excited about it!

Wow your wedding is so soon! Congratulations you are going to make an amazingly beautiful bride!
  • Jacy707
    Jacy707 Posts: 18
    Options
    Awesome NSV!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    That is a fantastic success! Very happy for you - enjoy this moment.
  • calcote05
    calcote05 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    That's great!! I got married 6 years ago and wore a size 6. My goal is to be able to get back into that dress before our anniversary this summer!! Congratulations and best wishes!!
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    That is such a great accomplishment!!!! Way to go!
  • Livie_Marie
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options

Wow your wedding is so soon! Congratulations you are going to make an amazingly beautiful bride!

Aww thanks so much! I am excited! you are going to be gorgeous as well!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Yea the sizing thing is no fun. I was/am a size 5/6 pants and all the dresses I tried and corresponding measurements told me I was a size 8 wedding dress. The bummer came when I selected “the one” and because it was lace it had less give so I had to order a 10. On the actual wedding day though the corset was tied the tightest it could possibly go (and I never lost weight before my wedding, I'm on MFP due to 8lb honeymoon weight, dam cruise!) so I guess I really was an 8, lol!

** For future brides, keep in mind the bridal stores especially small ones make ALL of their money in alterations. Research the brand/sizing yourself to see if you really agree. Also, if you love lace BEWARE, it is the most costly to alter due to the time/intricacy of matching the pattern. I had mine hemmed 1 ½ inches and taken in 4 inches in the bust and it cost almost $300 in alterations alone.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a great NSV! :)

I got married in 2009 and had to order a size 24. Now since doing MFP and getting my head on straight, I'm in a size 20 and since my husband and I never went on a honeymoon, we are planning one next year and eventhough it's not my wedding dress....I can't wait to buy a beautiful evening dress for our anniversary dinner :) (and my goal is to be in a size 14 or smaller)

Keep up the great work!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    first off, CONGRATS on your engagement & upcoming wedding :o)
    second, that is AWESOME & you should be really proud of yourself! great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!