Question for P90X users....

Options
I am starting my P90x tomorrow and have a couple questions for those doing it. Did you buy the P90x recovery drink and all the added supplements they say to use. And if not, do you still think the program is working? I bought all the food I need but the other stuff is expensive. Also when do they start using the pull up bar because I don't have one and don't know if my trim on my doors are sturdy enough to get one....Let me know...Thanks!

Replies

• kurrent
    kurrent Posts: 5
    Options
    I did not buy all the extra stuff and I am getting great results still. It is totally worth it. Good Luck!!
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You actually don't NEED a pullup bar. I think you'll get better results if you have one, but you can modify the pullup bar exercises to be done with a resistance cable instead.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You can use a variety of resistance bands instead of the pull bar. The pull ups are in the first DVD, chest and back. The DVD will show you how to modify with resistance bands. You can simply find some at Sports Authority. You don't need the P90X recovery drink, although I do recommend a good protein shake.
  • liz_bolin
    liz_bolin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I didnt buy all the extra stuff.. you will need the pull up bar the first day. Good Luck!
  • riesa00
    riesa00 Posts: 9
    Options
    I did not buy the recovery drink. Instead, I bought whey protein powder to mix w/ water or make a smoothie with afterwards.

I don't have a pull-up bar either, but instead substituted exercises that are similar. In the Legs & Back workout, one girl uses resistance tubing to work her lat muscles. Resistance tubing is very inexpensive, so I would suggest buying that instead of a pull-up bar. They come in a variety of difficulty levels.

Good luck! p90x is tough, but well worth the effort!
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    I didnt' buy any of the extras and my poor house couldn't even stand the sight of a pull-up bar! But trust me, its still plenty of a work-out without them.

I'm just starting back myself and boy am I sore!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    The pull up bar is the very first DVD. I ended up ordering one from Amazon. I haven't started yet because of this. I'm still waiting on it and have the same fear of the door trim. The set I bought also came with some resistance bands so I'm hoping for the best.

I'm not purchasing their drinks and supplements. (Tony does like to push his products). I drink Pure Protein Whey protein already.

I also don't know if I will be following the diet percentages. I tried 50% protein and just couldn't hit those numbers even at 1480 calorie goal. Now I'm at 40/40/20 (phase 2) and working on keeping at those numbers. Seem to be doing ok.

I am very curious to see the responses, though.
  • WomanPower79
    Options
    Yes.. i bought EVERYTHING!!!.. the recovery drink is a must have.. everything else.... not so much... if you already have supplements dont waste your money... as far as the bar.. well you start that almost immediately.. :) as a woman i found starting with the bands were great. same type of results.... also you can go to walmart and get those.. you need the ball that holds the band in the door jam so when you are doing the 'pull0ups' you get that pull up effect. good luck and ENJOY!!!
  • WomanPower79
    Options
    ALSO... as someone like me who really needed to lose weight (only 26 to go) i stopped the recovery drink.. it is FULL of BAD STUFF.. if you need to lose weight. but if (this looks like you) you are someone who is toning and leaning... and ypu plan to follow his plan for eating.. then they drink itself tastes awesome. and i did FEEL the diffrence drinking it versus NOT.. i had relatively no soreness drinking it. BUT you must drink it immediately after your workout...
  • wooddie14
    wooddie14 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different...some can do it without a pull-up bar. You can use the resistance bands for the pull-ups, you just need a place to attached them on a door or ceiling. You might need to buy a few different ones to make sure you are getting a good workout though. If you buy some of the smaller resistance bands and use them for pull-ups, you may not be getting an affective pull-up workout as you would if you had bands with more resistance. The supplements and other stuff just help you get the maximum you can from your body during the workout and help your body recover after the workout. Hope this helps
  • OSU_Sarah
    OSU_Sarah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am looking to tone my body. I don't want hard core muscles all over. Just want to look nice and firm. Can't wait to start. I may have to wait another day now though since there are a couple more things I guess I need to get.