Did this happen to you when you started MFP? *TMI*

Options
Hey!

Ever since I started eating healthier (I never ate THAT bad, but I still had things to change) I have been constipated. I drink water and I workout....Is there anything that I can do to help it? I think I get enough fiber....My diary is open if you want to check it.

Thanks!

Replies

• Phoenyxlove
    Phoenyxlove Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    That happened to me the first two weeks! I still don't know what it was from. I was thinking maybe from eating so many vegetables. I heard if you have too much fiber it can constipate you andaube my body just wasn't used to it. I'm back to normal now though!
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    Glad to know that someone else had the same problem!
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    give it a few days. your body is probably freaking out with all the changes. If you are walking and working out it will stimulate the gi track to produce peristalsis and you will be back to normal in no time. The biggest thing holding it back would be water so continue to increase that. I drink about 20- 8oz glasses a day and still dry out at times. The only other advice is take a multivitamin to ensure enough nutrients. I take a prenatal for low iron issues but it comes with bonus of fiber and other needed nutrients. good luck and keep up the good work
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You can always try some Colace or Pericolace to help things "out".
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Yes, me! I've only been going mayyyybe twice a week for the past month, and even then I don't feel like I'm getting everything out. I'm drinking lots, getting good fiber, eating yogurt, and all the stuff you're supposed to do, and nothing. I even tried taking a stool softener, and that only ended up grossing me out without actually giving me any relief. I give up. Maybe I'm just doomed to be full of crap the rest of my life. :laugh:
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Since I bought flax seeds and add a tablespoon of ground seeds to my oatmeal I am so regular. I eat oatmeal 4 - 5 mornings a week. Some days I have eggs or pancakes.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Ever since I started eating healthier (I never ate THAT bad, but I still had things to change) I have been constipated. I drink water and I workout....Is there anything that I can do to help it? I think I get enough fiber....My diary is open if you want to check it.

Thanks!

I've been told unless your stool is hard you are not constipated. I too had the same situation, not going as regularly as I did before, but I don't feel like I need to go. I am sure that mine was caused from the increase of protein.
  • moriah87
    moriah87 Posts: 27
    Options
    benefiber! 2 tsp. in your coffee in the morning. totally helped me out. you can use 2 tsp, up to three times a day. it really helps get you more regular
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a glass of water right when you wake up and right before you go to bed.

Someone told me to do that and that TOTALLY helped me out. Granted I get up around 3:30am to urinate every morning, but it does help get things moving to start the day.

I hope that wasn't TMI! LOL
  • BigBootyMimi
    BigBootyMimi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Your diary does look as though you are getting enough fiber, but maybe its sort of offset by the processed grains you eat (i.e. the whole wheat bread - not whole grain, and the mac and cheese)??? What really helped me when I started changing my eating habits was to add flax to yogurt and cereals...somehow get at least 2 tbs of ground flax each day. My pediatrician recommended it for my daughter when she had constipation, so I figured it couldn't hurt me and it helps a lot. Plus it has high protein content and essential fatty acids. HTH.
  • nixxy74
    nixxy74 Posts: 106
    Options
    ive always suffered with the problem so the best thing truly is fresh figs. totally natural and counts to your five a day... if you have one a day..more than that and youre asking for trouble!:noway: :laugh:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Thanks!

I've been told unless your stool is hard you are not constipated. I too had the same situation, not going as regularly as I did before, but I don't feel like I need to go. I am sure that mine was caused from the increase of protein.

That makes sense, at least for me. I don't feel like I'm bloated or anything, and there's no discomfort. Just not going. But I think I'm going to have to move to a "floating" weigh-in day -- I don't like weighing if I haven't gone in a few days. hahaha I'll just only weigh in when I go. :-P
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just because you're eating less.. All of these are good helpful suggestions. I take psyllium husk fiber supplements (you can get the capsules anywhere- similar to Metamucil) and that helps. Just keep adding fiber and drinking a lot of water!
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Your diary does look as though you are getting enough fiber, but maybe its sort of offset by the processed grains you eat (i.e. the whole wheat bread - not whole grain, and the mac and cheese)???

whole wheat is fine as long as it is 100% whole wheat. If enriched wheat flour is not listed as an ingredient... its fine, no different than whole grain really.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Personally I think that MFP has set the needs for fibre too low. I would increase your fibre with more whole foods and drink more water. Google a little bit about fibre needs. When you do increase your fibre you also need to increase your water. One green smoohtie a day will honestly keep things working the way they should.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    How much fibre do we need?

Female youth and adults, and children over 4 years should aim for at least 25 g of fibre per day. Male youth and adults should aim for at least 38 g of fibre per day.

Most Canadians eat about half the recommended amount of fibre. However, this can be improved by eating more whole grains, legumes, vegetables, and fruit.

To see if you're getting enough fibre click here.

Source: Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrates, Fibre, Fat, Protein, and Amino Acids (Macronutrients), 2002.

******NOTE MFP has your needs at only 18.......
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The healthier you eat, and the more you exercise, the more your food is going to be used as fuel. And the less waste there'll be to poop.

It's like when I switched my dog to a better quality food. His poops were smaller and more compact, because there was less filler in his food.
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The healthier you eat, and the more you exercise, the more your food is going to be used as fuel. And the less waste there'll be to poop.

It's like when I switched my dog to a better quality food. His poops were smaller and more compact, because there was less filler in his food.

I agree with this post! (and what an adorable doggy!) Less food means less ... well, you know!!!! It happened to me also!! One of the many lovely chnages of changing our eating habits!
  • omgitsgarry
    omgitsgarry Posts: 138
    Options
    benefiber! 2 tsp. in your coffee in the morning. totally helped me out. you can use 2 tsp, up to three times a day. it really helps get you more regular

I use this! It helps a lot.
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    EAt some sweet potatoes that works for me, plus they're REALLY good for you!