Cleanse/Detox?

Options
Hi everyone,

Was thinking of doing a cleanse or detox next week and wondering if anyone has any suggestions/comments.

I was thinking of Wild Rose, I've done it before and it seemed ok. If I do one, I need to do one that includes food, I refuse to see how not eating at all is healthy.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    bump Im interested too never heard of the one you mentioned what does it consist of??
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Your post has funny timing for me - I just wrote on my news feed a similar question.

I'm trying to ramp up to do a detox myself. While my scale is moving down, it's by eating less of... well.... crap. White bread, potatoes, processed foods, sugar, and butter. Just less than usual.

I felt my best when I was eating natural, healthy, and unprocessed. I'd like to get back to that, but I'm fearful of the dreaded detox and craving cycle. From past experiences, if I hold true and stick to whole grains, natural foods, and eliminate processed foods.... I have crazy cravings for about 7 days. Then it gets much better and is tolerable.

So, that's my goal for this week: Clear out the junk that's crept in (or at least sequester it so my boyfriend has access to it, but I don't), get back to drinking at least 8 glasses of water, eliminate any food that I don't know what all the ingredients ARE, up the fiber, and stick to natural. Oh... and eliminate the processed sugars and all chemical low-cal sweeteners (like my favorite, Splenda). It sounds like a LOT to take on ala t once, but I've found it's actually easier for me to do all or nothing.... so here's to ALL.

Not sure if that helps or not, but... I felt ya!
    D.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I get a whole body cleanse from the Vitamin Shoppe from Renew Life. There are a lot of people on here that say its a hoax/joke but I think they do work. But do as it says, take them everyday for 2 weeks, dont skip days. It DOES NOT make you have the runs like everyone thinks, its NOT a colon cleanser, its a whole body cleanse. When you go, you go...sorry for being graphic but dont expect to be running to the bathroom every 10 min with the runs. Like I said when you normally go to the bathroom it will be a lot, that will take about 2 days on this.
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    bump
  • CarlitaK
    CarlitaK Posts: 139
    Options
    http://www.wildrosedetox.net/

Above is the link to the Wild Rose detox.. you take a couple herbal pills and then you cut out processed foods, etc.

I know many people aren't supportive of the idea of Cleanses and Detox. Personally, I understand the concerns, as I think people use them to lose weight, but as soon as you go back to eating normally, you'll just gain it back.

I'd appreciate hearing from all sides, and especially from any nutritionists or other professionals...

The one thing i like about them, is that you feel "lighter" from not eating all the bad stuff. That said, I suppose I could feel that way without actually taking the pills and just cutting that stuff out....

Any other ways to get that feeling?
  • carrieberrie
    Options
    Your body naturally cannot breakdown processed foods, it just doesnt know what to do with it so it gets built up on your intestinal walls, including all the pesticides on our veggies and fruit, air freshners, air pollutions etc..... So this product helps to eliminate these and you do feel so much better afterwrds. The Renew Life does come with a recommened eating plan, no processed foods.
  • nuviag
    nuviag Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've tried the Lemonade Cleanse. I lost weight right away and it curved my cravings for carbs after, at least for a while.
    I've done it twice. The first time i lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks and the second time I lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks.
    You gain at least half the weight back rapidly which I expected but it’s a good cleanse.
    Very restricted all you do is drink the lemonade made with syrup, water lemons and cayenne pepper
  • CarlitaK
    CarlitaK Posts: 139
    Options
    ya I don't think i could ever do the lemonade cleanse.

I'm hypoglycimic and there is no way i can go without eating.

Not to mention i'd be grumpy!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    There is no evidence that your body needs any of these cleanses/detoxes. There are natural mechanisms designed to cleanse your body - it's called your liver/kidneys/digestive system. As long as you have no organ problems, then if drink enough water and eat enough fiber (including plenty of fruit/veggie "roughage") your body will take care of all the "cleansing" you need. No reason to subject yourself to any of these overly-restrictive detox/cleasing programs unnecessarily.

If you really want to do something, then just stick with a strict "clean" diet for a few days and make sure you drink extra water - no processed food and lots of veggies. You still need to make sure you're getting enough protein and healthy fats, though - nuts, beans, etc. Many of these cleanses/detoxes are unfortunate in that they have you get all your calories from carbs (either sugar (maple syrup) - in the Lemonade Diet, or fruits/vegetables in the fruit and/or veggie-only cleanses (fruits and veggies are good, but should not make up all your calories).
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Your body naturally cannot breakdown processed foods, it just doesnt know what to do with it so it gets built up on your intestinal walls, including all the pesticides on our veggies and fruit, air freshners, air pollutions etc..... So this product helps to eliminate these and you do feel so much better afterwrds. The Renew Life does come with a recommened eating plan, no processed foods.

this is absolutely false information. As the gastroenterologist (a digestive tract doctor) that someone in my family was working with told me last year. "If you have things "stuck" to your intestines or colon, you're sick and need to get yourself to a hospital, otherwise, the only things that cleanses and flushes do is rob your body of vital intestinal fauna that helps to break down food". Guys, this is nothing more than a marketing ploy designed to play on the fear of the general populous.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Careful doing cleanses if you are on any medication.

When I was working as a publicist, we got a whole body cleanse as a new product. The entire office tried it. It worked as it was supposed to, but nothing big or significant.

However, one of the girls in my office was on the pill and she ended up getting pregnant while on the cleanse. Her doctor told her since the cleanse helps things move through your system faster, her meds were not able to absorb properly and became less affective while she was cleansing.

So just be careful if you are on meds and doing a cleanse. We had to attach warning notes to all the cleanse samples we sent out.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

this is absolutely false information. As the gastroenterologist (a digestive tract doctor) that someone in my family was working with told me last year. "If you have things "stuck" to your intestines or colon, you're sick and need to get yourself to a hospital, otherwise, the only things that cleanses and flushes do is rob your body of vital intestinal fauna that helps to break down food". Guys, this is nothing more than a marketing ploy designed to play on the fear of the general populous.

I totally agree. Your body was designed to "cleanse" itself and eliminate waste. If your body is not doing that correctly, then get to a doctor because you have internal issues.

These "detox" and "cleanse" diets are just 2 of the many reasons diets are a $40 billion/year industry.
  • Fitastic7
    Fitastic7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really do agree with you, eating clean puts a new positive spin on life. Faithful clean eaters do not have to do as much detoxing due to their healthy eating style. Since eating clean, I have notice positive changes in my life. When you begin eating clean, you go through a withdrawal stage from bad foods, but after a week or so your negative craving stop and you begin to crave more of good quality foods :) Its worth it!
  • carrieberrie
    Options
    They work for me. I do them 4 times a year, seasonally. They are not designed as a weightloss program, it rids the body of toxins. I feel much much better after doing them and there is no disputing that
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options

I'm glad I scrolled down before clicking reply, because this is exactly the same opening sentence I was going to use. (The one about the information being absolutely false, that is.)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Maybe read this before moving forward.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-purging-myths
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm glad some people responded with links and information about the detox myths.
    While there are some ways that you get toxins in your body, such as eating too much fish with mercury, and while processed foods are not the best for you, there aren't toxins from normals foods that are "building up in your body"
    If all your organs are functioning, you don't need a detox. I'm not a doctor, but I am a college upperclassman on the premed track, so I've learned enough to know that "toxins" (please, can anyone name me one that has actually caused harm to someone and can be removed by a cleanse?) are not building up in your body and waiting to kill you, as long as you are eating healthy.

I would not recommend a cleanse; I feel that the only reason people feel "cleansed" and lighter afterwards is because they are eating healthy as part of the cleanse, or not eating anything of any substance, so they never feel full and have nothing to.uh...remove from their stomachs several hours later...so they feel lighter.