Outer Foot Pain

Options
Hi Everyone,

I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this. My feet feel fine doing normal activities (walking a lot, standing, etc), but no matter what shoes I am wearing (running shoes to run, studio shoes for high impact), recently during my workouts I start to get this crampy/aching pain in the outer edge of my right foot. It is on the bottom, not the top, and will hurt to weight on it after I work out a bit. If I go back down to lower intensity, it will go away in about 5 minutes. It's really odd.

I am going to rest it / do low impact modifications to my workouts for a week or so before going back into high intensity to see if that will help before going to a doctor. If you have any input / ideas though, it would be appreciated.

Thanks! Keep on moving!

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I guess I should also specify, that it could have to do with the fact that my apartment has concrete flooring under the carpet (for when I do workout videos), which that didn't come to realization until this pain started coming about.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    If it persists, I would see a doctor and see about getting some orthotic shoe inserts. I have bunions and had to have surgery to get one removed, but without knowing it, my foot structure had been really weird all my life. I now wear these hard orthotic inserts in all my shoes and I hardly ever have foot pain anymore, whereas I used to have pain all over my feet all the time.
  • hooghie
    hooghie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Have you tried getting fitted for the "perfect sneaker" for you? My husband was a runner for many years (ran the Boston marathon twice) and he always had foot pain. Several years into his running regime, he went to one of those specialty stores where they evaluate your walk, pain, etc. and recommend a sneaker based on that. He said it was the best thing he did for himself and wish he had done it sooner.
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Have you tried getting fitted for the "perfect sneaker" for you? My husband was a runner for many years (ran the Boston marathon twice) and he always had foot pain. Several years into his running regime, he went to one of those specialty stores where they evaluate your walk, pain, etc. and recommend a sneaker based on that. He said it was the best thing he did for himself and wish he had done it sooner.

It's not just running, it's when I do high intensity cardio too - in completely different shoes, same pain. Plus the running shoes I was running in have never given me issues before. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced it, but I am just going to drop down to lower intensity exercises for a few weeks. :smile:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I'd personally wear your running shoes for ALL work outs and see if it helps or not. If it doesn't then I'd either go to a running store and get the treadmill test or hit a doctor up.
    I bought running shoes from a running store. I maybe run a total of 10 minutes doing hiit on the treadmill during my hour work out and the throbbing pain I had in my heels for two weeks all day and night went away completely.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get it too. In both feet. Every workout. I have tried every shoe/orthotic/lacing combination on the planet to no avail. Was working with my trainer this past Thursday, and we were doing HIIT and I was almost crying. For me, the pain subsides almost immdiately when I take my shoes off. Took them off Thurs and did the entire workout barefoot, and had absolutely ZERO pain.

Not sure why yet, but will try again tonight, and am seeing a podiatrist tomorrow. I'll report back.....
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Yeah, I get it too. In both feet. Every workout. I have tried every shoe/orthotic/lacing combination on the planet to no avail. Was working with my trainer this past Thursday, and we were doing HIIT and I was almost crying. For me, the pain subsides almost immdiately when I take my shoes off. Took them off Thurs and did the entire workout barefoot, and had absolutely ZERO pain.

Not sure why yet, but will try again tonight, and am seeing a podiatrist tomorrow. I'll report back.....

Sounds good, I am wondering if I just do the workouts with modifications for a while, or maybe I will try to do some barefoot / in five fingers to see how I feel (not running until I can work up to that though).

Thanks
    Stephanie :smile:
  • Flyntiggr
    Options
    Ok, so went to the podiatrist this morning. I have what is called peroneous longus tendonitis. There is a tendon in your foot that starts near your heel towards the side of your foot, then makes a sharp turn up and through the center of your arch. Mine gets irritiated when I run because of the specific shape of my foot (which is apparently rare - called forefoot valgus). Because of how my foot strikes, I irritate that tendon and get the pain. I don't get the pain when working out with out shoes because I land better.

He added a wedge to the bottom of my shoe insert basically under my 'pinkie' toe and that side of the foot. You may not have the same foot shape as me, but might be irritating the tendon in a similar fashion. Obviously the 'cure' is custom orthotics, but I'm not going to pull the trigger on those (400 bucks!) until I test this wedge and see if it helps.

By and far one of the most educational appointments I've ever had with a Dr. Wish me luck - and I hope you find a solution as well. I understand how frustrating it is!
  • jillbarnes
    Options
    I started getting a similar pain but it only happened after I bought new Saucony running shoes last weel. I'm only walking at 3-4mph on the treadmill, not running yet. The old shoes I had kept giving me blisters on my back heel and the Sauconys have a lot more cushion back there, so my heel isn't moving as much. I have been wearing the Sauconys for almost a week now and I'm not having that pain like I did when I first got them (I was hoping it just had to do with needing to break in the shoes a it). While that pain has been going away, I've started incorporating time on the elliptical and the front half of my feet are getting tingly. It's almost as if they are starting to fall asleep. It's soooo weird!
  • Flyntiggr
    Options
    my toes always go numb on the elliptical. not when running though.... If you keep having issues with the Sauc's, I'd take them back...