Church Dilemma.... HELP!

Options
I am active in my church. I sometimes meet with the Ladies and am also involved with the children and youth groups; even planning meetings sometimes have a treat or something. So often there is food or home made cookies (kid activities) and it is hard to know what to do. Some people suggest to accept it as a bad day but I don't want to chalk it up as a bad day. I want to figure out how to make it work. I need to make it work because these situations are too often to just let it go. Any ideas? Has anyone ever gone to church activities and just not eaten? If so, how did it go? Help, I have no idea what would be the best solution.

Replies

• sek92
    sek92 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    maybe bring a tray of fresh fruit or veggies to add to the "pot", eat from the tray, maybe have a special eat healthy day and introduce kids to soem healthy recipes, at fellowship lunches, maybe eat very small portions or eat regular at Church and go light the rest of the day
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing of bringing some healthy food to add to the pool, or just bring your own little snacks. I think it would be very difficult for you to go and not eat anything.
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response. I agree it would be difficult to not eat anything. Great ideas. I will be trying them out.
  • MissAllison
    Options
    maybe bring a tray of fresh fruit or veggies to add to the "pot", eat from the tray, maybe have a special eat healthy day and introduce kids to soem healthy recipes, at fellowship lunches, maybe eat very small portions or eat regular at Church and go light the rest of the day

These are great ideas, especially introducing more healthy options. Others will follow your lead.
  • Shua456
    Shua456 Posts: 211
    Options
    I often don't eat at church activities. I don't make a big deal out of it, just simply stay away from the food table and go socialize with people. Really church functions = food. I don't know of church out there that doesn't have food at EVERY activity.

Eat before you go so that you're not hungry and get tempted. Take a healthy snack with you to munch on if you do get tempted.

If all else fails simply think about how many hands just touched that food and do you really still want to eat it after that? EWWW!
  • queenbee
    queenbee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I KNOW the struggle you are talking about :). So much of our social interaction, every holiday, every meeting, every celebration involves a TREAT!!! Sometimes I just avoid the event ,which is effective but no fun. The thing that works best for me is GUM! I keep GUM everywhere. If I have gum in my mouth I can't put a cookie in it. Sometimes if I'm feeling confident, I will call the person ahead of time to see what food is planned and then I can plan to eat my favorite item within my calorie allotment. The worst thing to do is NOT EAT to "save calories" and then to go into a tempting event HUNGRY! If it's pot-luck YOU have the opportunity to bring fruit or a veggie plate. I have used the "BUDDY SYSTEM" to navigate an event. My hubby and I were headed to a family party and we both wanted to avoid, or at least be moderate with the temptations that would be there. We agreed that we could each have one dessert and if either of us had more, we had to give the other one a 20 min foot rub. My husband, whom I love, has really dry, cracked, ugly feet and guess what...I ONLY ATE ONE!
  • aanaya56
    aanaya56 Posts: 136
    Options
    What about suggesting better alternatives??? It can help everyone else...
  • spackham
    Options
    Bee, you are funny! I do not like rubbing stinky feet either!

Well, there is a dinner tonight. I am bringing steamed broccoli! I am bringing a bottle of a grilling spice in case there is something that adds CHEESE or SOUR CREAM and I will just add my spice. Dessert? If it look really, really good, three bites max! I ate nuts and half a potato for a snack so I hope that will stave off the dinner hunger. I have had only 562 cals today so far. I am curious to see how this plan works out. I am going to try all the ideas and see what works best. Calling for any other ideas...
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My church also has refreshments for EVERY thing! We have potlucks all the time too. When it's refreshments I sometimes just say no thank you. That usually gets the "Oh just have one" reply. So sometimes II will just have a tiny piece of whatever it is. As for the dinners...Well with a pot luck the luck comes from hoping you get lucky and can actually eat something that is there. haha. Seriously I usually eat a light snack before hand and then eat mostly salad there. Hope this helps! :)
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I will sometimes eat a serving of vegetables or a salad before going. That way I'm not super hungry, and I know I got in some healthy stuff (which is often lacking at events.) I also wait till the end of the line, then the food doesn't look as appetizing and the best stuff is often gone.
  • Mary830
    Mary830 Posts: 64
    Options
    When I am going to an event that centers around food I try and bring a healthy dish with me too. It's fun to play around with recipes and show up with a plate of cookies or muffins and know that they are "secretly" healthy!
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I Know exactly what you mean! I'm the head of the hospitality team at our church and in charge of our social (eating) events.
    During our events, meetings, etc., I eat light at home, and then nibble on something at church. Sometimes I bring something specifically for me to munch on, nuts, apples, etc. In addition, I always include fruits and vegetables in our functions so there are healthy choices for everyone.

I have passed on the making of most cookies and desserts to someone else. If I have to bring in a dessert I no longer bake it at home, too tempting, I buy something from the store and give the leftovers to others to bring home. I dont eat any food cooked and brought in by others because I don't know how many calories are in it. If I can't count it, I won't eat it! Speak to the congregation, I'm sure they will understand the path you're on and be supportive of your journey.
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What I do when I know that I am going to have a high dinner is eat oatmeal for breakfast (low sugar variety) even two packages is less than 300 calories. Then I have a BIG salad for lunch, add some chicken on top if I must have some extra protein. Then allow myself to indulge SOME at the event. This being said, I am really trying to work on my self control in situations like this and limit it to one cookie, or just go for one plate at the potluck, half of veggies. Good luck and I am sure you will find something that works for you!
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Another idea is to make something yourself that is healthier, like maybe an apple crisp. There are a TON of recipes that you can try that are lower in calories and just plain better for you. =)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I just don't eat it. If it's just a quick meeting or before/after church I tend to just skip it. Little plates of snacks during a meeting are there to take or leave and I don't feel awkward skipping on those occasions. Heck, I bring the muffins every Sunday and do all the cutting a plating but I never eat them! I don't care for Costco muffins and I'm keeping my carbs in check.

I also do a weekly bible study with the ladies. That one there tends to be lots of goodies and I admit I'm hungry by the time I have to leave. I try to choose the best things for my plan if there are any. Usually there is some type of fruit so I go for that. I always keep nuts or some other snack in the car for these situations. If I plan ahead I bring something myself that I can do. If there isn't anything that will work I just don't eat there either.

This Sunday we have a pasta and salad potluck after church. Yeah, I'm watching my carbs and we're having pasta! Salads can be pitfalls too with all the crazy stuff people put in them. I'll be bringing a big thing of something with meat in it. If there isn't much for me to choose from I'll just be eating light until I get home.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm a pastor, so I get invited to every church event when there is food and sometimes food is even brought into the office for me and the secretary whether we want it or not. I've just lovingly reminded folks that I do have to be careful in what I eat, and they have seen me lost 51 pounds over the last 7 year, so I think they do get it. When I'm in a place where I have to eat I will try to sample the healthier portions and get a taste of the others that don't look so healthy. And if I just can't pass up someone one's dessert I'll just add those calories to my exercise time at the end of the day.
    One thing I have noticed is that I am starting to rub off on some folks and they are being more aware of their weight and health. One lady has even lost 10 pounds recently, so keep up the hard work and know that you are a great example!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm a pastor, so I get invited to every church event when there is food and sometimes food is even brought into the office for me and the secretary whether we want it or not. I've just lovingly reminded folks that I do have to be careful in what I eat, and they have seen me lost 51 pounds over the last 7 year, so I think they do get it. When I'm in a place where I have to eat I will try to sample the healthier portions and get a taste of the others that don't look so healthy. And if I just can't pass up someone one's dessert I'll just add those calories to my exercise time at the end of the day.
    One thing I have noticed is that I am starting to rub off on some folks and they are being more aware of their weight and health. One lady has even lost 10 pounds recently, so keep up the hard work and know that you are a great example!

Our pastor has all kinds of food restrictions and issues so the poor guy often will go through whatever gathering we're having without eating. A couple of us know how to cook in ways he can eat and now that we know what his restrictions are we try to bring things along those lines. It ends up working out well because the foods I make that he can have are invariably healthier than what I used to make and I can stick with my dish and the one the other lady brings and know I haven't done much damage. I always just felt so bad for him during a potluck! He'd never make an issue out of it and just quietly make the rounds visiting but still, I needed to feed him. :smile:

Good job on your weight loss and bless you for all you put into serving.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    nothing says you have to eat it
  • spackham
    Options
    I have tried a few ideas already and things are going better. The day I wrote this, someone heard about my concern and asked me if I wanted some of her spray-on dressing!!! So, some people are thinking ahead and I just never noticed it with my glob of ranch dressing. I can eat just one cookie and there were two times I brought the treat home to my husband after I had taken 2 bites. And though only a few ate my broccoli, I made soup with the left-overs. I am sure there are more opportunities to come!

I loved reading these stories and will check back again later. I feel so encouraged to hear what other people do. When i am at an event, I often think of these great ideas!
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I bring something that is on my plan. If anyone tries the "oh, have one!" I just say, "No thank you I am allergic. It makes me break out in fat!"