Teachers I need HELP...too many sweets in the classroom!

Options
How do you do it? I am constantly around candy and snacks and my biggest weakness is candy! I can't help but have a piece. Even if I have an healthy alternative such as fruit...the candy calls my name! Lol

So what are some suggestions you may have or things you do to keep from indulging. I'm thinking about just throwing it ALL away!

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    For me, throwing it away would be my only option. Or give it to another teacher and ask her to only allow you to have a couple of pieces a day.
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yeah my only options would be throwing it away or giving it to another teacher.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    How do you do it? I am constantly around candy and snacks and my biggest weakness is candy! I can't help but have a piece. Even if I have an healthy alternative such as fruit...the candy calls my name! Lol

So what are some suggestions you may have or things you do to keep from indulging. I'm thinking about just throwing it ALL away!

As a teacher I think it would be a great example for your students to replace the candy/sweets with the nutritional alternatives. This won't only help you but help them too. BTW...Thanks for being a teacher! (wink)
  • naturalbeauty47
    Options

As a teacher I think it would be a great example for your students to replace the candy/sweets with the nutritional alternatives. This won't only help you but help them too. BTW...Thanks for being a teacher! (wink)

That's a good idea and I have no problem doing that. But the candy is from holidays such as Valentines (which just passed). Other than that I don't buy it and when I do its a snack not not a sweet. But right now I have so much candy left over!
  • steacher24
    Options
    I feel your pain! I'm a teacher, too. I have a bag of sugar free chocolate that I keep around. If I get a craving, I choose the sugar free option instead. :-)
  • kristibluesky
    Options
    thats hard for me too. I try to mentally tell myself things like man the ingredients in candy and sweets are the same as in a science project. even crows don't eat licorish.
    also i compare a donut to a full size meal. one doughnut or an extra dinner?
  • supragirl
    supragirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree. I give out sweets occasionally but make sure I only buy enough for one class set or offer the class something else as a reward (like 10mins DVD/quiz/game) time at the end of the lesson :laugh: I'd be hopeless if I had sweets in my cupboard every day - my will power can't take the temptation especially when I've got a free period or stressed out! :ohwell:

Good luck!
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    When kids bring cupcakes I always think about how many germs are probably lingering from them sneezing on them or putting their fingers all over them, lol. I know it's harder with individually wrapped snacks but maybe you can tell yourself that they're covered in germs, too!
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    As a teacher we have to consider all the other teachers that have candy around as well. Its not just throwing it out of our own rooms when we can walk next door and get a piece of chocolate anytime we want. I have given up on avoiding it. I just try to limit myself to one a day or I look at the calories that are in it some days thats all I need to say no.. Make a goal for how much you will allow and really look at the fat and sugars to make yourself aware of what you are actually eating. Good Luck!
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    OMG, I'm a teacher too. My problem is that there is always so much food in the staff room! It's always someone's birthday or left overs from meetings, or people bake stuff and bring it in. I still struggle with it. Try to remove it from your classroom for a start if you can. :-)
  • mixmastermolly
    Options

That's a good idea and I have no problem doing that. But the candy is from holidays such as Valentines (which just passed). Other than that I don't buy it and when I do its a snack not not a sweet. But right now I have so much candy left over!

When you have large quantities of candy you can donate them to different programs who will send them over to soldiers while they're overseas. Over Halloween we had kids bring in a portion of their candy to donate. Also, sometimes when there is only a little candy nursing homes or senior centers will take them as a treat for the seniors to have once in awhile. The local meals on wheels program used some candy my son had leftover from Halloween to add a little treat to the bag (only for those who weren't diabetic, though!)
  • naturalbeauty47
    Options

When you have large quantities of candy you can donate them to different programs who will send them over to soldiers while they're overseas. Over Halloween we had kids bring in a portion of their candy to donate. Also, sometimes when there is only a little candy nursing homes or senior centers will take them as a treat for the seniors to have once in awhile. The local meals on wheels program used some candy my son had leftover from Halloween to add a little treat to the bag (only for those who weren't diabetic, though!)

Oh wow, didn't know that! That's a good idea!
  • naturalbeauty47
    Options
    Thanks ladies for ALL the comments and suggestions. I think I'm going to try throwing/giving most of it out. I'll just limit myself on how much I intake because I must admit...I do like a piece every now and then. But not having so much around will help out a lot.
  • kspirit07
    Options
    I have taken my extra candy to lower grade levels, the teachers and studnets are very grateful. Also, keep in mind you are fighting the urge for your good, so use it as an incitive on a daily basis. I have also given it out at the end of the day as students line up to exit my room for a quiet, straight line.