Egg whites

Options
I am not sure if its just me and the way things are in the current economic climate... but who else begrudges using egg whites and throwing away the yolk...??

We are pretty poor at the moment, and I was just wondering if anyone else did this and how would you use a lone yolk??

Or whether you can buy egg white pre seperated, as i have never seen this in local supermarkets.

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    The grocery stores I go to carry pre-separated egg whites next to the egg substitute products. All-white is the main brand I see, which is one I like because it's just egg whites - no added anything else.
    http://www.allwhiteseggwhites.com/products/product.cfm?prid=1

I've also seen a store-brand version (Lucerne) that is the same thing - 100% egg whites only.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I just eat the whole egg. *shrug*

There are recipes where you use only the yolks, but the only ones coming to mind are desserts.
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Most of the nutrients in an egg are in the yolk. I just eat the whole egg.
  • jgkimo
    jgkimo Posts: 61
    Options
    I buy egg whites from Costco. Cost about $7.00 - six prepacked containers that will last me about 3 weeks. Well worth the expense in my book. I use them for just about everything; including mixing with protein powders.
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    I don't like throwing away yolks either, it just seems so wasteful. From a cost standpoint, at some point in the past year I compared the cost of the cartons of egg white products to buying a carton of organic (what we always buy) eggs and buying the carton of eggs (even organic) was cheaper.
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Get the carton of just egg whites if it really bothers you. It's more expensive, but you don't have a yolk to throw away.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I buy egg whites from Costco. Cost about $7.00 - six prepacked containers that will last me about 3 weeks. Well worth the expense in my book. I use them for just about everything; including mixing with protein powders.

I do this too.

But also if you don't want to throw the yolk away I'd say go ahead and eat it.
  • Iris0022
    Iris0022 Posts: 54
    Options
    I cook the egg yokes and give them to our dogs. It's a nice treat for them and feels less wasteful to me.
  • fitmom4ever
    fitmom4ever Posts: 130
    Options
    Fortunately, my baby can only have egg yolks (something about the whites being hypoallergenic for babies under 2), so I just cook the yolks for her and eat the whites. But if you don't have a small child, I can't really think of any recipes other than desserts and cream sauces that only use the yolk.
  • anawrecksic
    Options
    Hehehe no children yet, but i guess the idea about the dogs isnt too bad...

We have a 4 months old Bullmastiff puppy and she needs all the food she can get.... at least thats what she'd have you think :)

Im in the UK, so I have never seen anything like that but I will be on the lookout now :)

Thanks guys
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole thing. The healthy cholesterol and fats in the yolk are worth it to me to have the calories and just work my day around it, plus we're talking about little more than 100 calorie difference between 2 eggs and 4 egg whites, not to mention the cost difference. Egg yolks get a rather undeserved boycott from the health-food community. Granted, I am not trying to lower bad cholesterol though.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole thing. The healthy cholesterol and fats in the yolk are worth it to me to have the calories and just work my day around it, plus we're talking about little more than 100 calorie difference between 2 eggs and 4 egg whites, not to mention the cost difference. Egg yolks get a rather undeserved boycott from the health-food community. Granted, I am not trying to lower bad cholesterol though.

I eat both whole eggs and eggwhites. I don't think it's an either/or thing - people can have uses for both! Some recipes I make call for egg-whites only, and sometimes when I've already had enough healthy fat for the day and need some extra protein, scrambled egg whites can make a great snack. That said, I do eat 1 to 2 whole eggs with breakfast most mornings (sometimes with add'l egg whites added if I feel like eating an omelet or scrambled eggs).
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

I eat both whole eggs and eggwhites. I don't think it's an either/or thing - people can have uses for both! Some recipes I make call for egg-whites only, and sometimes when I've already had enough healthy fat for the day and need some extra protein, scrambled egg whites can make a great snack. That said, I do eat 1 to 2 whole eggs with breakfast most mornings (sometimes with add'l egg whites added if I feel like eating an omelet or scrambled eggs).

Totally agree- but there is a difference between following a recipe and not touching them wiht a 10' pole if your life depended on it :laugh:
  • valerie58
    valerie58 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I cook the egg yokes and give them to our dogs. It's a nice treat for them and feels less wasteful to me.
    Thats a great idea, or give it to other family member, use it to batter thing.:wink:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hi Vikki, I see you're in the UK. Yeah, we dont have things like Eggbeaters, or cartons of egg-whites here...

I'm with you, I hate throwing away an egg yolk. So on the mornings where I want an egg breakfast, I use 1 whole egg and one white, and give the yolk to my dog. Raw is fine, he loves it, and it's good for his coat. This is only about 2-3 times a week.

Best of luck with your journey!
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    I tried the organic egg whites from Sunflower Market. OK, but I am sticking with whole eggs. My dog's usually get to clean the plate when I am done. Egg whites don't leave much behind on the plate. They are not happy with egg whites.
  • KathrynNicole86
    Options
    It does feel wasteful! I have two little pups that love it when mommy has hard-boiled eggs for breakfast! I usually have one full egg, then two egg whites...giving them each a yolk.

It's SOOO good for their coat and eyes and skin, as well as their brain function.

Your pup would definitely benefit from a yolk a day! Especially being such a large breed. I have a pomeranian and chihuahua that THINK they are Bullmastiffs ;)

I'm with you...we are super broke right now. Makes healthy eating super hard. Except that it definitely encourages smaller portions!
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

YOU THROW AWAY YOLK!???!?!?!??!?!?!?!!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?!!

:'(
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg. Throwing away half of the egg on some belief that it will raise your cholesterol or make you fat is just foolish.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I never toss the yolk. I always use it. In fact, I have been known to eat just yolks. My kids like the yolks but not in boiled eggs. So I eat their yolks when they ask for boiled eggs.