Bar Method / Daily Method exercise groups

Options
Hi, I've heard great things about the Bar Method and Daily Method exercise classes. They seem to be the latest hot exercise trend. I'm hesitant to try it as I hate being the new, uncoordinated whale in the group and I tend not to be a joiner....but the rave reviews are inspiring. Anyone have any experience with either of these (I think they are basically the same thing but different fanchises)

Replies

• reeset
    reeset Posts: 1
    Options
    I take a class similar at Equinox. I have to say I love it, it is my favorite class. I am overweight and fighting to lose the weight. I had to get over being the biggest one in the class. But with each class I go to I get better, I say try it...you might surprise yourself.
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of either of these, what's it all about?
  • phigirl
    phigirl Posts: 3
    Options
    i've been going to a Bar Method class for about three months now. I'm used to running, yoga and work out pretty regularly in general but let me say those classes kick my butt! i don't want to scare off anyone though, because you work mostly with your own body or very light weights (2-4 lbs) so anyone at any level of fitness will get something out of it.

basically, it takes elements of ballet, physical therapy, yoga-ish stretches and core work and puts them together. form is EXTREMELY important, but the instructors so far have all been wonderful about making adjustments and

classes are an hour. i wouldn't call it a heavy cardio class, but it's a hell of a toning/strengthening routine for your entire core (abs, back, etc), legs and arms, and does wonders for your "derreire" (a spot i've never had any luck with doing anything else)... it's also great for posture. i find myself walking and even sitting straighter now because i'm more concious of how i'm holding myself.
  • phigirl
    phigirl Posts: 3
    Options
    my only con would be that classes are expensive (at least in NJ) ... but my local ymca has started offering a "barre workout" class, so I might check that out and see if it's similar.
  • nkraft
    nkraft Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the BAR method for almost a year now and it has been the BEST workout that I've ever done! Yes, I've lost weight but more importantly I have toned and tightened and reshaped my body. It's an amazing workout, tough but everyone works at their own level. The most important thing to focus on is form. It will change your life!