Quitting Coffee?

Options
Has anyone here quit coffee altogether? Do you feel any different since you stop drinking it ?
I drink 8oz in the morning for breakfast but I here that it just not good for your health as it blocks nutrients etc.......

Thoughts ?

Replies

• mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure coffee is benifitial if you drink just a cup or two a day. I've never heard that it blocks nutrients. Just be careful what you put into it. I put a little stevia, almond milk and sometimes some vanilla whey protein.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    i wont give mine up. sorry for the no input...im curious as to what others say. it probably soooo helps not retain water by giving it up...
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    kinda... i may drink it once a month or so, if i'm just really really tired.

i do feel different, of course the first week or so i dealt with headaches and such, but now i dont feel that i NEED it. i've also notice my blood pressure dropped some which is good since i'm trying to get off bp meds.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 cups in the morning and am not giving up mine! I heard it boosts your metabolism. I think anything in moderation is fine:)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I will never quit coffee. I don't drink it to wake up and I drink it black. It is chock full of anti-oxidants. I'll have to check into the "blocking nutrients" thing. I've heard it can do bad things to cortisol levels (cause of belly fat) but my belly is slowly going down.
    And it is a diuretic so it'll make you pee (I don't count it towards my daily water but like that it flushes you out in a number of ways).

It is on Jillian Michaels list of foods for fighting fat, not foods to avoid. Not everyone likes her but I do go with a lot of what she says.
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    i wont give mine up. sorry for the no input...im curious as to what others say. it probably soooo helps not retain water by giving it up...

I'm the same . . . probably won't give it up. My brother in law did at one point, but noticed he was back to drinking it over the holidays. =0) Never heard negatives about coffee in moderation.
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    I could never give mine up! But I am going to try to drink my second cup black : )
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    I quit it altogether (except for a very occasional cup every blue moon) back in late November and found that i had so much more energy! Sounds like an oxymoron, right? Well for me it worked! Also caffeine robs your body of calcium, so it's worth it to kick the habit.
  • shelbyj72
    shelbyj72 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 cups of coffee every day! I use to drink 4 cups a day but it was too much in sugar & calories so I trimmed it down. I will not stop drinking coffee it is the only thing that keeps me sane LOL.
  • Neach
    Neach Posts: 13
    Options
    I drink one extra large coffee a day. Once a year I give it up for a couple of months. It is a sort of cleansing. I give it up on a Wednesday and by Friday the headaches are almost unbearable. I feel almost nauseous. If I can get past Friday, I will make for the whole 2 months. My research has always shown that coffee has benefits so it is really a personal choice. Just watch the headaches. Good luck!!
  • TabbyJustice
    TabbyJustice Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I used to drink three to four cups of coffee a day. I noticed how much I was consuming and switched to tea for two of those cups. After the tea, I've pretty much stopped altogether.

I fricken LOVE coffee, and honestly after cutting it down I find myself actually feeling caffeine again, and coffee is almost like a dessert now. Sometimes you love things more after you let it go!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    http://hubpages.com/hub/coffee-pros-cons.

6. Osteoporosis. Coffee intake may induce an extra urinary excretion of calcium. Heavy coffee consumption (600 ml or more) can modestly increase the risk of osteoporosis, especially in women with a low calcium intake [9].

I think as long as you are getting plenty of calcium it's ok. I take my calcium supplements before bed (they have a calming effect) which is waaay after I have coffee.

and unfiltered coffee may raise bad cholesterol levels. But most people drink filtered coffee.
  • danielleeeee
    Options
    I enjoyed my last latte on January 1st and boy do I miss my caffeinated drinks! I gave it up because I have fertility problems and found research that suggests caffeine can contribute to hormonal imbalances and, therefore, infertility - as can soy products, in case anyone's curious. I was lucky not to have any withdrawl headaches when I gave it up and my blood pressure is now within a healthy range for the first time in my adult life (which I'm sure is also due, in part, to all the regular exercise I've been getting lately). BUT I love coffee and tea and will definitely resume drinking them once I've got me a healthy baby!

I've never heard or read anything about caffeine blocking the absorption of nutrients.
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Wow...lots of coffee lovers . I love coffee too but it's always good to know what we are doing to our bodies .

This Morning after my coffee I was so wired and not feeling right..so i decided to post this topic.
    I got me some green tea rasberry ..will try to let go of coffee for a bit .

Enjoy your day :)
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I can never give up my coffee, I actually use my coffee as part of my diet plan. Coffee is a appetite suppressor so I can usually skip breakfast without feeling hungry with my coffee. What I did do was cut out the cream and the sugar now I use Splenda so my daily coffee intakes is usually about 5 calories a day and so worth it!
  • lizamd
    lizamd Posts: 2
    Options
    I love coffee for the taste. I have been a big coffee drinker in the past. I quit it altogether 2 months ago. What I used to need to pick me up or give me that boost is no longer needed. Now I feel MORE energized in the morning than ever before and it is ALL NATURAL - no coffee, no caffeine, no addiction - required!

We tend to forget that there are certain things in this life that are socially excepted addictions, such as coffee, food, etc. I admit that I was addicted to coffee and I am currently battling my addiction to food. I should not live to eat - I need to eat to live! Anything that has power of you and your mind is an addiction. If you state that you can 'NEVER' let something (not somebody) go or you can not live with out, than you need to really analyze that situation.

I hope these words emcourage or help someone.
  • AJB87
    AJB87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I havent quit consuming coffee completely but i have cut my consumption amount. I've also switched from sugar to Splenda ( & only 1 packet of that). I've found that the hardest part is finding a lower calorie creamer to use:grumble: the options are fat free or sugar free and of course it can't be together in the same bottle can it!:mad: i need flavor in my coffee creamer, but i want to get rid of the calories from it. What do you guys do?
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think a cup of black coffee is fine for you (and I won't give mine up!!). It's when you're drinking sugar-y lattes and mochas and frappucinos that you're probably doing damage to your diet. I stick to a cup in the morning with a small splash of creamer (only processed thing left in my diet, but I love it!).
  • sparrow747
    Options
    I've gone through many phases since undergrad where I was fully dependent on coffee! I only gave it up because I didn't like feeling addicted to something which altered my level of energy. Now I drink coffee only on occasion as a treat or snack (and try to remember to get decaf). I agree with everyone else... my energy level is very balanced and I rarely feel tired, as long as I get a decent nights sleep. I love herbal teas when I'm in the mood for a warm beverage - even a simple chammomile is great when you want something sweet (and no calories!)
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I love coffee for the taste. I have been a big coffee drinker in the past. I quit it altogether 2 months ago. What I used to need to pick me up or give me that boost is no longer needed. Now I feel MORE energized in the morning than ever before and it is ALL NATURAL - no coffee, no caffeine, no addiction - required!

We tend to forget that there are certain things in this life that are socially excepted addictions, such as coffee, food, etc. I admit that I was addicted to coffee and I am currently battling my addiction to food. I should not live to eat - I need to eat to live! Anything that has power of you and your mind is an addiction. If you state that you can 'NEVER' let something (not somebody) go or you can not live with out, than you need to really analyze that situation.

I hope these words emcourage or help someone.

Well said. I agree. Thanks!