Bikram Yoga

Options
Has anyone tried Bikram Yoga? Do you know how many calories are burned?

Replies

• sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Tried it - & didn't like it one bit. Don't know how many calories burned but I'd assume at least double the calories of a normal yoga session.
  • ChristinaT0507
    ChristinaT0507 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i found a calculator online somewhere. i believe in general 60 minutes is between 600-900, and 90 minutes is 900-1200. its pretty crazy. Not sure how accurate it is though, but I can believe at least 500-600 for the 60 minute session. I love it.
  • kimlausan
    kimlausan Posts: 39
    Options
    What didn't you like about it? I've tried it once and I just remember it being really really HOT!!!
  • calliejoycox
    Options
    I have done Bikram Yoga for over a year and I love it! I haven't been in the last few couple of months due to a dislocated elbow but I would definitely recommend it! Be prepared, IT IS HOT. If you make through the first class without leaving then you have done well.

You will burn anywhere from 500-1000 calories, depending on a lot of different factors. Go give it a try, you won't be sorry :)
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i tried it twice and i was not a fan!
    the big draw is that your muscles are warmer and the thought is that allows you to stretch further / deeper

not sure about the calories....
  • heels24
    heels24 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love bikram! I've been going since April of last year and it has really changed my body and my mind. I am so much more flexible now and am better at dealing with stressful situations. Yes the room is extremely hot, and some people hate it and just want to run out screaming, but if you give it a chance you can overcome those feelings. All you are asked to do in the first class is just stay in the room. Once you see you can do that, you know that the hot room is not going to kill you after all.

To determine calories burned I use this site http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/Calories_Burned/conditioning-exercise-bikram-yoga.asp

But I know it also depends on how hot and humid the room is on a given day and how hard you work, so this is just a rough estimate.

You should definitely give it a try. I know I am SO glad that I did!
  • Ningymouse
    Options
    I tried it, not bad. Definitely was sore after. Heat didn't bother me too much, loved how it made me sweat. It felt like I did a great workout. I believe it burns 1000 calories.
  • kimlausan
    kimlausan Posts: 39
    Options
    I am going to start doing it once a week. I feel like I work out and eat within my calories but the weight is not moving. Just inches.